Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Cancellation Fees

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

For every 10 euros you give a restaurant, 6 euros is profit

Sweet lord, if only. Restrateurs would be delighted.

According to this article, based on the 2010 Operations Report by the US National Restaurants Association & Deloitte, profit margins were about 3% for full service restaurants. Granted this was done in the US which has vastly different labour costs to Ireland, and it’s quite outdated, but still I think it’s fairly indicative. And definitely not the 60% you are claiming.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/average-profit-margin-restaurant-13477.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I can tell you where to go in 3 different spots within a spit of Dublin for a great 3 course meal under €20.
    Go for it, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

great policy. I wish more business did this and it became the norm.
    business owners need to start standing up for them selves.
    too many bad customers out there

5 days is too long. 24 hours is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

SusanC10 wrote:
    The €60 is also more than the cost of the 2 Course Early Bird Menu which we intended to have !

But if you turn up you won't lose the deposit. I don't see a problem with that.

I do appliance repairs and replacement. I have often had someone agree a price and appointment only to have them phone me a few minutes later, not realising that it's the same company, looking for a better price or a quicker appointment. Some people actually book two companies without bothering to cancel one. They then won't answer the door when you get there or pretend that they know nothing about it.

I have no problem paying a deposit for a restaurant. 5 day cancellation is a bit much but I'm happy to lose the deposit if I cancel less than 48 hours before. Profits are tight in restaurants. That's why so many closedown so quickly after the international banking crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

splinter65 wrote: »
    I think that if there is a chance your baby might be sick or your babysitter isn’t going to be free or the taxis will be on strike and you’ll possibly have to cancel then this is not the restaurant for you.
    The restaurant have the right to make whatever cancellation policy they want and it’s pointless complaining about it .
    It’s not as if they’re breaking any laws.
    They’ve obviously been stung too badly too often and if they’ve decided that this is going to work for them then just accept their desicion and move on.
    Just accept that that restaurant is off your list of places to go.
    People get very confused about consumer law and rights and entitlements I find.
    I’m sure there are other places to go.

Again the problem is the 5 days, not the fact of penalising no-shows.

And sure any party (restaurant and customer) can do whatever they want but it is a matter a balance.

Having said that I have no kids and was never a no-show at any restaurant ever (and rarely cancel bookings), but I would never book with a 5 days cancellation policy and I think I am far from being alone. It is for them to see what they see as best for their business (to fine people they will push away others who would have caused no problem) and for customers do decide what they see as reasonable.

• Advertisement

That's utter nonsense. There's very few types of businesses in the service industry that can provide a 60 percent profit. Restaurants definitely don't return anything close to 60 percent profit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Patww79 wrote: »
    Exactly, and hopefully anyone with such a long cancellation policy will lose money before it becomes the norm.

Or maybe customers will have a bit of respect not to mention some common decency and manners, for a service provider and the staff and suppliers who are all financially dependent on those customers to keep a roof over their heads.
    It’s amazing how Ryanair Aer Lingus customers wouldn’t dream of not kowtowing to the Ts&Cs regarding cancellations and change of name because they know that they’ve lost their money if they don’t, but the very same people have no hestitation leaving a restaurant up the creek .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Allinall

I’d be fascinated to see your source for this nugget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Sent a screenshot of this post to my friend in the restaurant business. He’s run a very successful, award winning restaurant for over 20 years. I won’t post what he said as it would get me banned!

• Advertisement

Gravelly wrote:
    Sent a screenshot of this post to my friend in the restaurant business. He’s run a very successful, award winning restaurant for over 20 years. I won’t post what he said as it would get me banned!

Bet you he's still laughing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Actually its €7 out of €10. However you omit one very important word - "gross"

€7 out of every €10 in a standard mid market restaurant is "gross profit" - that's industry average

Now to get from "gross" profit to "net" profit (otherwise known as real profit" you need to deduct a few costs

Staff, rent, rates, electricity, gas, advertising, music licence, wine licence, depreciation of fixtures, accountancy fees etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Actually its €7 out of €10. However you omit one very important word - "gross"

€7 out of every €10 in a standard mid market restaurant is "gross profit" - that's industry average

Now to get from "gross" profit to "net" profit (otherwise known as real profit" you need to deduct a few costs

Staff, rent, rates, electricity, gas, advertising, music licence, wine licence, depreciation of fixtures, accountancy fees etc etc etc

To get from gross to net you deduct tax, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Eh ... no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I really sincerely hope you are not an accountant

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That's your wages you're thinking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

That's your wages you're thinking about.

It is. Sorry, my mistake. Jumped without looking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

How do you know what a restaurant's overheads are? Surely they all differ?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Did the OP turn up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Did the OP turn up?

Yes, we turned up and had one of the best Meals out in terms of Food and Service that we have had in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

No way would I be paying a deposit. How did restaurants survive before this considering it's such a big problem now? Was in a restaurant in Galway a few weeks back and the amount of people turning up off the street was incredible. The odd missed booking would not break the bank, surely. Plenty of people go to restaurants without bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,017 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Restaurants don't survive - the average lifespan of a non franchise restaurant is about 7 years.

Rent and rates are the two huge increases recently. And higher end restaurants don't get substantial walk in traffic.

Hotels require credit card holds and have late cancellation fees, this is no different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

L1011 wrote: »
    Restaurants don't survive - the average lifespan of a non franchise restaurant is about 7 years.

Rent and rates are the two huge increases recently. And higher end restaurants don't get substantial walk in traffic.

Hotels require credit card holds and have late cancellation fees, this is no different

Many hotels will refund you if you cancel usually up to the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,017 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Many hotels will refund you if you cancel usually up to the day before.

So will most restaurants with these policies.

You try canceling a booking for half the hotel shortly before though and itll be a different result. Some places with these policies are so small that a booking for 8 is a huge part of their inventory

Advertisement