Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old employer not paying me for lieu days

Options
  • 16-02-2018 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hi, I'm hoping someone can tell me what if anything I can do here.

I left my old employer at the end of last year, they are a large multinational. When I received my last payslip from them I noticed I hadn't been paid my lieu days, these are bank holidays that I worked last year but never took time off for.

The only way to contact HR is via email so I emailed them and asked about these 5 lieu days that I had worked and not been paid for. They messaged back and said that I had taken all my 20 holiday days last year. I messaged back and said I know, I am talking about lieu days for the bank holidays that I worked. They then asked if I had any proof that I had worked these days, I don't, I presumed what with it being law and them being a large multinational that they would have that proof. They have messaged me this morning saying Sorry, if you have no proof we can't pay you for these days.

Surely that isn't it? They can't just say you can't prove you worked those days so good luck? Is there anything I can do? I tried contacting my old line manger but he is not picking up my calls or answering my emails.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Surely that isn't it? They can't just say you can't prove you worked those days so good luck? Is there anything I can do? I tried contacting my old line manger but he is not picking up my calls or answering my emails.

These guys are messing you around.

Contact Workplace Relations and see the complaint form on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

Thanks, I was really hoping I would be able to sort it out with them. They are a massive multinational and I perhaps foolishly thought they would play by the book. I'll contact workplace relations and see what happens.

Thanks, I was really hoping I would be able to sort it out with them. They are a massive multinational and I perhaps foolishly thought they would play by the book. I'll contact workplace relations and see what happens.

Well if you think that you can sort it out with them, then that is the best thing to do. Making a complaint is a last resort, obviously.

Tell them that it is unacceptable that they are not paying you for work done and they are going to have to pay one way or another. Let them call it as to whether they send you a cheque now or you make the complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

An MNC would surely have a record as to who was on site on any given day?
    Would your email records indicate that you were on / off site?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

I don't have any email records, they all went to my work email which was closed when I left. I quoted some rules at them at about how they are supposed to have records of when I was working and keep them for three years and they have changed their tune somewhat to say that I should ask my line manager to verify that I was working. Now if only I can get him to either pick up the phone or reply to my emails I might get somewhere.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I don't have any email records, they all went to my work email which was closed when I left. I quoted some rules at them at about how they are supposed to have records of when I was working and keep them for three years and they have changed their tune somewhat to say that I should ask my line manager to verify that I was working. Now if only I can get him to either pick up the phone or reply to my emails I might get somewhere.
    If it drags on a shot across the bow by way of another enquiry email with a line stating 'i don't want to go to the wrc on this but.....' should focus their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Diceicle wrote: »
    If it drags on a shot across the bow by way of another enquiry email with a line stating 'i don't want to go to the wrc on this but.....' should focus their minds.

It might if there were serious penalties involved. The penalties for them are not significant to their costs, so they wont really care. They might be more engaging, but they'll still drag their feet.

Unfortunately there aren't sufficient deterrents for MNCs in Ireland to play fair. Until there are, situations like this will happen.

OP good luck getting the money owed. Feel free to write accurate feedback about the company on Glassdoor on whats happened.

Advertisement