Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FRS UHF/VHF radios

Options
  • 16-02-2018 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm moving my life back to Ireland and have a couple of walkie talkies that I'm packing with the rest of my gear. Will customs in Ireland go through my shipping boxes? Are these things legal in Ireland? They are on the family radio spectrum & are just handy for road trips, mountain biking etc. We use them for off-road in the desert.

I want to avoid taking them in my baggage as I have a tonne of batteries already with my cameras gear etc...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not legal in Europe AFAIK because they operate on different frequencies.
    Also newer US models have way more power than the limit here.

Here the equivalent is PMR446 and you can pick them up easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vanmie

I agree with @Capt'n Midnight answer.

Just some additional info why you should not use them here. Besides that they are not legal, the real reason is that some of the FRM (and GMRS) service channels are either overlapping, or very close to, frequencies used by emergency services (Fire, Ambu, and the like). This would/could cause dangerous interference. Even with the fact that many services are migrating over to Tetra, some are still using the "old" allocations.
    Don't use them here.
    As advices already, some PMR446 handsets can be cheaply got, albeit with a lower power output, and are legal and more importantly safe to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback

Advertisement