Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spurs for fridge and cooker in kitchen law

Options
  • 16-02-2018 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi I am thinking of getting my kitchen updated and was told that the new oven and integrated fridge in new locations will require spurs and not just sockets. Can anyone please let me know if this is required by law. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Hi I am thinking of getting my kitchen updated and was told that the new oven and integrated fridge in new locations will require spurs and not just sockets. Can anyone please let me know if this is required by law. Thanks

All inaccessible sockets need isolator switches
    This includes all integrated appliances and cooker hood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

The isolator is ment to be within 3m also if i remember correctly?

Tuco88 wrote: »
    The isolator is ment to be within 3m also if i remember correctly?

Close
    2mts

The device shall be installed within 2m at a height of between 400mm and 600mm above floor level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

meercat wrote: »
    Close
    2mts

The device shall be installed within 2m at a height of between 400mm and 600mm above floor level

Can you not have the isolator above the worktop, seeing as thats more than 600mm above fl?

red sean wrote: »
    Can you not have the isolator above the worktop, seeing as thats more than 600mm above fl?

Sorry I quoted wrong reg
    Wall mount switches and control devices shall be mounted at a height as follows
    Switches for permanently connected appliances between 400mm and 1200mm above floor level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If the appliances are close together, something like this could probably work, you might just have to put them in the press below to conform to the 1.2m rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

If the appliances are close together, something like this could probably work, you might just have to put them in the press below to conform to the 1.2m rule.

That's a smart idea .
    I might just have to rob that one from you 🖒🖒🖒

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1
    In some cases it would also be possible to combine a number of switches into one unit using grid switches.

Think I might rob that idea too.you should have patented it..........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

meercat wrote: »
    Think I might rob that idea too.you should have patented it..........

I think the idea is good, but i don't think above the oven is great as the wires would need to run up the back and over. Nothing wrong with below. Also if you needed to add an additional isolator later on there shouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

Would above the oven be over 1200mm high?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

In my view, with built in appliances you shouldn't put a UK type plugs out of accessibility. I've had two occasions where a dishwasher plug fuse blew due to nothing other than those 13amp plug fuses not being particularly wonderfully regulated pieces of kit.

To get access to the plug required removing cabinet fronts!

There's usually some possibility of putting the plug into an adjacent cabinet.

Also you shouldn't really be installing water connected appliances without easy access to an isolating valve. Nothing worse than a failed solioid valve and water filling the kitchen!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

I would not be able to use that cupboard everytime i would open i would get empty reaching lol
    As one of the other posters stated the cabling around the oven i would not be a fan of.
    Double pole switches are required for isolation can they be gotten in for grid switches?

Luckily i re wired my kitchen prior to this rule, it would not work for me the missus has a bad habit of turning off every switch or unplugging everything at night or when we leave the house (yes dishwashers and washing machines mid cycle), our fridge freezer plug used to accessible but after it being defrosted a couple of times i had to put a socket behind the fridge that she couldn't get too.....i bet she tried to get back there to unplug it :D:D:D

Advertisement