Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Protect Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Battery

Options
  • 16-02-2018 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭

Have smoke Alarms in the house and now looking at Carbon Monoxide and with discount I get in John Lewis looking at this. I don't have any Nest Products in the house but wondering what are these like as looking for one for downstairs and one for upstairs. Not going to wire them just place them somewhere discreet hopefully or maybe get someone more handier than me to put them on the ceiling.
    Anyone got these and worth it or are there other options ?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

I've two wired ones, along with nest thermostat, find them good, far less false alarms from kitchen smoke, and you can get it to send push notifications if it sounds while not at home via the APP

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've a battery one (will likely get a second) and I think it is great. Hands down the best alarm on the market.

Only thing is that it is expensive. For the cost of one, you could buy 4 or 5 standard alarms and get more coverage of your home. I only bought my one after I had already bought standard alarms in each room of the house and this was a replacement in the most central location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Yeah are expensive but nephew employed by John Lewis so getting a good discount.

No other nest products so this will be the first. Have standard fire alarms but these will be extra safety

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah are expensive but nephew employed by John Lewis so getting a good discount.

No other nest products so this will be the first. Have standard fire alarms but these will be extra safety

Is there any advantages to going for wired over battery models? Apart from obvious.. Do they work in conjunction with best thermostat? Motion sensing etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've three , I think they are fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Whose your electricity provider ? Electric Ireland do them for 79 euro

ted1 wrote: »

With Energia but wonder if electric Ireland sell them to non customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Really......?where, please post the link

I posted it before , basically just call their home services team and order it

I posted it before , basically just call their home services team and order it

Rang them and said they are not selling them anymore and no time frame as to if they will again

• Advertisement

Ok bought this and have to collect it over the weekend. We currently have a wired smoke alarm in the house downstairs. Are they easy to install?

Not sure if to take old firealarm off and replace this or put this up to work alongside it? Possible would like to move in coming year so better to replace existing one and if moving house change it back?

One I bought is battery operated?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you think you will move in future. Probably best to leave the old one in place and fit the Nest separately.

The Nest and old alarm likely use different mounts so and maybe different electrical connectors so while possible, it would complicate changing them out.

No harm in having two smoke alarms.

bk wrote: »
    If you think you will move in future. Probably best to leave the old one in place and fit the Nest separately.

The Nest and old alarm likely use different mounts so and maybe different electrical connectors so while possible, it would complicate changing them out.

No harm in having two smoke alarms.

Cheers may install it so that I have two only problem is putting it up Im useless with that stuff more than likely the roof would fall in if I tried:D:D

Cheers may install it so that I have two only problem is putting it up Im useless with that stuff more than likely the roof would fall in if I tried:D:D

I know what you mean, I'm the same! I have a Nest Protect too, it has been sitting on the kitchen table more then a month now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

bk wrote: »
    I know what you mean, I'm the same! I have a Nest Protect too, it has been sitting on the kitchen table more then a month now!!

Two screws and a template is provided lads, man up :-)

Just t thing, if you recall I think a lot of insurance cos ask that you have 1 or 2 wired smoke alarms, so if your taking out a wired and replacing it with a better one, be sire it's not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Simple job, if the wires are already in situ, just follow instructions and use new template, did two in less than 15 mins.

hi folks, looking at some of these. Currently have battery powered alarms in the house, two carbon monoxide and two normal.. ive read the wired versions send more frequent sensor updates to nest? Does it really make any difference? As we've no wires in place, to go with wired would need cables run.. I assume from nearest light fitting in celling?
    is 259 pounds a decent price @ amazon uk?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nest-Protect-Carbon-Monoxide-Battery/dp/B075FWYWVG/ref=gbps_img_m-5_b06c_529adc70?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=d68e1c7a-8ff8-4b3f-99d8-12340690b06c&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=14696766031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=T2RV1FZX31CBJ20K5WMK
    Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

hi folks, looking at some of these. Currently have battery powered alarms in the house, two carbon monoxide and two normal.. ive read the wired versions send more frequent sensor updates to nest? Does it really make any difference? As we've no wires in place, to go with wired would need cables run.. I assume from nearest light fitting in celling?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nest-Protect-Carbon-Monoxide-Battery/dp/B075FWYWVG/ref=gbps_img_m-5_b06c_529adc70?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=d68e1c7a-8ff8-4b3f-99d8-12340690b06c&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=14696766031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=T2RV1FZX31CBJ20K5WMK
    Cheers,
    Mick

That works out about €103 each, so decent price. Pretty sure I noticed them for sale at €120 (or 129) in a major high street electrical store during the week.
    I don't think there is a difference between wired/battery versions for the core use, smoke/ co2 detection.
    I have 2 wired and 1 battery nests in the house.
    If you can get them installed, always go for a wired one, but nothing wrong with the battery versions.

paulbok wrote: »

Cheers,
    Mick
    There is a difference in the way that the light works on the wired v battery ones.

That works out about €103 each, so decent price. Pretty sure I noticed them for sale at €120 (or 129) in a major high street electrical store during the week.
    I don't think there is a difference between wired/battery versions for the core use, smoke/ co2 detection.
    If you can get them installed, always go for a wired one, but nothing wrong with the battery versions.
    There is a difference in how the light works. It’s a handy feature especially if you have kids who might move about during the night

paulbok wrote: »

Cheers,
    Mick

nest have the 3 at ten pounds more and you can choose wired or wireless for that price.. I may go for the wired.. will have an electrician wiring nest doorbell so he can do these to

• Advertisement

nest have the 3 at ten pounds more and you can choose wired or wireless for that price.. I may go for the wired.. will have an electrician wiring nest doorbell so he can do these to

Offer only seems to be on battery powered three pack

Ok got off my A and installed this.

Anyway of turning off the light that comes on in the dark?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

Ok got off my A and installed this.

Anyway of turning off the light that comes on in the dark?

Yep, on the nest app you can select the brightness level or turn off the path light altogether

Advertisement