Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

onlinetradesmen.ie

Options
  • 16-02-2018 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

anyone use these before?

Looking at getting bit of work done to house, such as move stud wall or two, downstairs toilet that sort of thing

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I found my electrician who rewired the house on onlinetradesmen.ie . Turned out he was just living down the road and while a very experienced guy, he recently moved into the area and used the page to establish himself locally. Was absolutely delighted with him. Always check how the tradesmen are rated and ask them for references.

I also made the experience that plumbers are hard to get and the bigger the job, the more responses you'll get.
    I had a few failed attempts but when I started putting hard facts up and as many details as possible it worked out very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Thanks very much, much obliged

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

Yea, my builder is doing work on my house now. I found him on this. Very happy so far

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

I used the site once and never again. I engaged a plumber to replace a bath in a rental property. After agreeing with him and paying him to dispose of the old bath, I found it dumped down the road. The bath leaked within 24 hours of use and caused damage to the ceiling downstairs.
    It took a week for him to return to rectify the leak and he was presented with the old bath for disposal also.

This guy had reviews which is why I chose him.

Since then, I'm of the view that if genuinely good tradesmen are busy, they wouldn't need to advertise on this or other sites.

Personal recommendations from people I know for me since then.

jomalone14 wrote: »
    I used the site once and never again. I engaged a plumber to replace a bath in a rental property. After agreeing with him and paying him to dispose of the old bath, I found it dumped down the road. The bath leaked within 24 hours of use and caused damage to the ceiling downstairs.
    It took a week for him to return to rectify the leak and he was presented with the old bath for disposal also.

This guy had reviews which is why I chose him.

Since then, I'm of the view that if genuinely good tradesmen are busy, they wouldn't need to advertise on this or other sites.

Personal recommendations from people I know for me since then.
    Bear in mind this website and all professional review websites do not allow negative reviews.

I had a problem with a tradesman through this website and left an honest (but not nasty) review. It was taken down. I rang them to complain and they told me to count myself lucky that my complaint was minor and trust them they've had far worse complaints. Also, they confirmed negative reviews are taken down. In their own words, we wouldnt be in business if we let all the reviews go up.

As someone has already said, personal recommendations are the only way to go. Even if it's a friend of a friend's cousin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Personal recommendations are just somehow difficult to get when you move to a new area. I had such struggle getting a plumber into my house, the first one, who was absolutely useless, was a recommendation from my neighbour, just a handyman she knew from the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Had both good and not so good experience. First time I used it got a lad and his crew to put in a new kitchen and do tiling for me. He did a great job.

Next time I needed some painting (big walls I couldnt do myself without a lot of effort) and tiling In the bathroom done, that lad was not so good, we went for the cheapest quote and I guess you get what you pay for!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Thanks folks, got sorted in the end. Friend of a friend of a friend type thing

Advertisement