Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher level leaving cert Irish.

Options
  • 16-02-2018 2:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43

Just want a bit of help with Irish. My Irish is not very good but aiming for a H3 as I need a H4 for teaching.
    I have to learn things off, word for word. I cannot fabricate sentences because there will be so many grammar mistakes. So literally yes my Aiste is learned off by heart word by word despite being 600 words.
    I know this is not always the best idea but please don't tell me this is wrong because this is how I learn. If you are going to comment that I'm doing it wrong and it won't benefit me in the long run etc, then please don't comment at all.
    So because I learn off word by word, it can be hard to learn off 5-6 Aistes for paper 1.
    SO, can anyone advise me on what a "safe essay" is? One or two that will fit everything.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

How are you going to teach children Irish?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 SazSarsh

spurious wrote: »
    How are you going to teach children Irish?

I specifically asked for people like you to not comment. Im here to look for help. My primary school Irish is great, my higher level leaving cert Irish is poor. Now dont comment any more

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

SazSarsh wrote: »
    I cannot fabricate sentences because there will be so many grammar mistakes.
    My primary school Irish is great.

Only one of these statements can be true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 SazSarsh

Only one of these statements can be true.

I should not have to justify these sentences. Can someone please try and help me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭An tUasal C

You’ll be teaching grammar to primary school children. If all you can do is rewrite an essay how will you cope with spoken Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

You're asking if anybody has a reliable prediction as to what might be on the exam paper. Nobody can answer this with any certainty. That's the point of exams.
    You said yourself that learning things off is not the best idea. As a teacher you certainly wouldn't advise a student to do this. If you don't understand how the language is acquired how do you propose to teach it successfully?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I specifically asked for people like you to not comment. Im here to look for help. My primary school Irish is great, my higher level leaving cert Irish is poor. Now dont comment any more
    Provided people are being courteous and constructive, you don't get to tell them to shut up just because you don't like what they have to say. That's not how a discussion forum works ... it's certainly not how Boards or this specific forum works.

What people are trying to point out to you is that if the only way you can learn Irish is by rote, and you're thinking of primary teaching, your problems won't end with the LC, even if you're lucky enough to get an essay title which roughly matches one which you have previously learned off word for word.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

Just want a bit of help with Irish. My Irish is not very good but aiming for a H3 as I need a H4 for teaching.
    I have to learn things off, word for word. I cannot fabricate sentences because there will be so many grammar mistakes. So literally yes my Aiste is learned off by heart word by word despite being 600 words.
    I know this is not always the best idea but please don't tell me this is wrong because this is how I learn. If you are going to comment that I'm doing it wrong and it won't benefit me in the long run etc, then please don't comment at all.
    So because I learn off word by word, it can be hard to learn off 5-6 Aistes for paper 1.
    SO, can anyone advise me on what a "safe essay" is? One or two that will fit everything.

I'm an Irish teacher, I certainly don't recommend learning 'off by heart'. However, to answer your question, I would think young people/problems in society (education came up last year so maybe not this year) and the Irish Language/Culture might be possible essay/debate titles this year. Learning the beginning and ending of a debate just encase 'your essay' shows up in that section is a good idea.

Weaker students I've asked to prepare a general essay on society, it can be adapted if asked on young people, crime, drugs or violence. I've asked them to include bullying, social media and there's even a tiny section on obesity (just encase they're stuck for a health essay:obvs relationship to drugs and alcohol can be used here too).

I'd be more inclined to tell you to prepare an opening and closing to a general essay. Then learn vocabulary on topical issues. Be very careful you understand the topic being asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

You should be focusing on your wedding day no?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

vicwatson wrote: »
    You should be focusing on your wedding day no?

Wedding Day? I’m lost!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Let's just say that the OP's other threads suggest she has a rich and varied life! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement