Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

two way radio for two houses 1km apart

• 16-02-2018 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

hi all, i thought i would fire off a quick question to people in the know as apposed to sales staff who know as much as it says on a products box. i would like a two way radio that has the capability of reliably carrying out a conversation between two houses in a housing estate that are 1.1km as the crow flies apart. sometimes depending on work i have to drop off my son at his grans for a sleep over and would like to be able to have the option of a chat if he wanted. he is to young to have a phone so i thought might check out the two way radio route. a quick google search brought me to a Binatone Latitude 150 Two Way Radio Set for 40euro. it claims they have a range of up to 3km but what is their definition of "up to"

any suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Quaderno

That distance over a built-up area is probably going to be too much. It might work when you have a clear line of sight and position yourself and your son in a window facing each other, but from indoors and through various walls it most likely won't work because of the frequency those radios transmit on. At 446MHz radio waves don't travel well through obstacles. Unfortunately you would also be limited to the fixed antennas and low power of the sets. You might try it out anyway and maybe you get lucky, but I wouldn't expect reliable communications under said circumstances. I also don't see what else you could do without spending much more money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Get one of those phones that can't dial out and only your phone can dial in.
    Or that can only dial a couple of nums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 will27

Hi try two handheld CB Radios they may work?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The 3Km range is outdoors and with no buildings in the way, dry air and no background radio interference. Upstairs windows facing the same green over a shorter distance then possibly.

Good luck with indoors radios with a sea of houses blocking your line of site.

If you have interwebs you could use a tablet or old mobile phone with skype or whtsapp or somesuch over WiFi. Or ask the gran to phone on her phone.

Advertisement