Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upper level foodcourt Dublin T1

Options
  • 16-02-2018 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hey folks,
    Just curious as to what ever happened the upper level food court above the street post security in Dublin T1. It appears to have been closed for a number of years now. Does anyone know if there are plans to reopen/redevelop it especially now with record growth and heavy demand on existing food outlets post security. Curious to know ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

It was too good value in comparison to the alternatives, so I reckon it got whacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Odelay

Is that the one with Burger King, a pub and smoking area?

Odelay wrote: »
    The food court I'm thinking of had an entrance and stairs between the plane water and the WH Smith if I'm picturing the airport right. It's right next to the security area.

https://goo.gl/images/Uyb7A9 labeled food court 1

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was down a corridor with a luggage shop and possibly toilets from memory.

Most passengers never noticed it was there which was a major issue.

L1011 wrote: »
    It was down a corridor with a luggage shop and possibly toilets from memory.

Most passengers never noticed it was there which was a major issue.

Not if you wanted a bit of peace and quiet. :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Wicklowleaid

Yea it was up a stairs at those toilets as mentioned. If you go upstairs to Alcock &brown landside you can still see the space behind the glass looking very dark and forlorn

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Thought it was still in operation but from the landside now.

Thought it was still in operation but from the landside now.

That bit has been there as long as the airside bit was.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Wicklowleaid

That bit has been there as long as the airside bit was.
    True that. Always up there where Alcock&Brown is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Odelay wrote: »

Flew out of T1 a few weeks ago & 'dined' in the area You mention. BK had no CC machines working, went & drew cash from the ATM, then told no hot drinks, told them to shove it and went to the pub for food. Food is passable, but the prices certainly aren't.

Utter embarrassment to Dublin Airport IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Flew out of T1 a few weeks ago & 'dined' in the area You mention. BK had no CC machines working, went & drew cash from the ATM, then told no hot drinks, told them to shove it and went to the pub for food. Food is passable, but the prices certainly aren't.

The pub is probably one of the best spots in the airport for food if you're stuck. The little cafe down by the city jet gates is OK now too. You have to remember that a lot of business travelers in airports are on expenses and therefore less price sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

It's also the dirtiest burger king I've seen. Any available tables are dirty, floor covered in food, extremely slow service. Kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

bluelamp wrote: »
    It's also the dirtiest burger king I've seen. Any available tables are dirty, floor covered in food, extremely slow service. Kip.

I still don't understand why they have a McDonald's before security, and not after. That BK is indeed a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The pub is probably one of the best spots in the airport for food if you're stuck. The little cafe down by the city jet gates is OK now too. You have to remember that a lot of business travelers in airports are on expenses and therefore less price sensitive.

A lot of companies are limiting daily sustenance expenses to just a few euro. I had visitors in last week who were allowed just €8 per day. It's not like it used to be anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

A lot of companies are limiting daily sustenance expenses to just a few euro. I had visitors in last week who were allowed just €8 per day. It's not like it used to be anymore.
    I'd be saying "thank you very much, I'll tele conference!".

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Garden terrace also does a decent enough staff dinner for 6 quid or so...as for Marquette..it's a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

bluelamp wrote: »

Have to agree. Got food there once (painfully slow, with long queues), and then sat down to eat. The place was so dirty we got up and left and brought our food with us to eat somewhere else. Never went back.
    I'd say the place is 'poorly managed' but I actually think it's not managed at all. Staff don't really care and I;d say they're treated like sh1t.

All those airport Burger Kings and a lot of other airport restaurants are owned by the same company SSP.

https://www.eatonthemove.com/static/faqs

• Advertisement

I complained to the DAA about the filth in an SSP operated unit - they took my details so SSP could contact and explain which they never did. Should have followed up with the DAA I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭Rawr

I complained to the DAA about the filth in an SSP operated unit - they took my details so SSP could contact and explain which they never did. Should have followed up with the DAA I guess

SSP are certainly an interesting bunch.

I fired off a complaint to the customer service email address of a certain "cafe" over in Pier D. Their staff had been their usually slow-as-all-hell selves, but then added openly hostile service towards Mrs. Rawr to their sins, thus prompting me to send a long, polite, but ultimately very damning complaint their way.

Instead of getting a reply from the Cafe's company, I get a reply from SSP's customer service. They apologise, inform me that there would be some kind of staff meeting called, and then offered some kind of voucher in compensation (which never came).

I wonder if they just have one central management for SSP franchises in DUB, with each outlet just left to do their own thing? A lot of the franchises currently there appear to be SSP operated: Burger King, Starbucks, SoHo, etc...etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Rawr wrote: »
    SSP are certainly an interesting bunch.

I fired off a complaint to the customer service email address of a certain "cafe" over in Pier D. Their staff had been their usually slow-as-all-hell selves, but then added openly hostile service towards Mrs. Rawr to their sins, thus prompting me to send a long, polite, but ultimately very damning complaint their way.

Instead of getting a reply from the Cafe's company, I get a reply from SSP's customer service. They apologise, inform me that there would be some kind of staff meeting called, and then offered some kind of voucher in compensation (which never came).

I wonder if they just have one central management for SSP franchises in DUB, with each outlet just left to do their own thing? A lot of the franchises currently there appear to be SSP operated: Burger King, Starbucks, SoHo, etc...etc...
    If your complaint is of a genuine nature you shouldn't be afraid of naming and shaming.
    Best form of complaint is to kick-up a ruckus on social media, hammer them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, including loads of photos and then email them with links.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭Rawr

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    If your complaint is of a genuine nature you shouldn't be afraid of naming and shaming.
    Best form of complaint is to kick-up a ruckus on social media, hammer them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, including loads of photos and then email them with links.

Force of habit from my time over on the R&R forums :D It was the SoHo Cafe over on Pier D.

I've never been pleased with the place, which if I remember right has been there ever since Pier D was built. For a while it was the only food option you had in that Pier, which kind of made this "low-cost" section of the airport feel even more..."low cost"....

Beyond cleanness and other factors, my main problem with SoHo has always been their speed of service. I had only ever attempted to purchase ready-made sandwiches and drinks from them, but the attempt would often take upwards of 10 minutes or more. Of the 3 staff they would usually have on, only one of them would typically be taking orders, and as soon as any kind of complex coffee-drink was ordered, the queue would grind to a halt while that was being prepared.

The wait was rarely worth it, and the additional businesses at Pier D that eventually appeared, were very welcome additions.

Instead of SoHo, I now go to Leopold's. There, the same sandwich transaction would take mere moments, while the cafe operated with a fraction of the staff of SoHo. Furthermore, this appeared to be the preferred option of airport staff and flight crews at Pier D. The place was full of uniforms, while the SoHo appeared to be mostly abandoned

All of this I pointed out in my complaint to them...especially the part about a single Leopold's barista performing their 3 baristas who appeared to be doing next to nothing....I lived in hope that they would a managerial bolloking for that...

Probably never happened, but you never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Rawr wrote: »
    Force of habit from my time over on the R&R forums :D It was the SoHo Cafe over on Pier D.

I've never been pleased with the place, which if I remember right has been there ever since Pier D was built. For a while it was the only food option you had in that Pier, which kind of made this "low-cost" section of the airport feel even more..."low cost"....

Beyond cleanness and other factors, my main problem with SoHo has always been their speed of service. I had only ever attempted to purchase ready-made sandwiches and drinks from them, but the attempt would often take upwards of 10 minutes or more. Of the 3 staff they would usually have on, only one of them would typically be taking orders, and as soon as any kind of complex coffee-drink was ordered, the queue would grind to a halt while that was being prepared.

The wait was rarely worth it, and the additional businesses at Pier D that eventually appeared, were very welcome additions.

Instead of SoHo, I now go to Leopold's. There, the same sandwich transaction would take mere moments, while the cafe operated with a fraction of the staff of SoHo. Furthermore, this appeared to be the preferred option of airport staff and flight crews at Pier D. The place was full of uniforms, while the SoHo appeared to be mostly abandoned

All of this I pointed out in my complaint to them...especially the part about a single Leopold's barista performing their 3 baristas who appeared to be doing next to nothing....I lived in hope that they would a managerial bolloking for that...

Probably never happened, but you never know...

I know exactly what you're saying, I was only there last Friday afternoon, slow as f&€k for coffee and one especially surly member of staff. I witnessed her pouring 2 Pints of Guinness a customer and what she didn't do to it was unmentionable!
    All stems from poor Management and lousy conditions for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

The cafe beside gate 301 is quite good and not too expensive.

SoHo at one point had ex-VAT prices on the shelves with the VAT inclusive price in teeny tiny numbers below. Put me off ever going there again as 95% of the traffic from that pier is probably staying within the customs union (at least for now!) Realistically it was all being consumed immediately too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

SoHo is dire.

Like Rawr said, staff are useless and seem unable to multitask. I refuse to waste my money there.

Leopolds is leagues ahead. Staff are friendly, can process a queue, and tables are clean.

SoHo is dire.

Like Rawr said, staff are useless and seem unable to multitask. I refuse to waste my money there.

Leopolds is leagues ahead. Staff are friendly, can process a queue, and tables are clean.

Dire is giving Soho a compliment. See what I wrote on TripAdvisor about my 'experience' there. As I write this my feedback on TA is the last one for Soho.

• Advertisement

All those airport Burger Kings and a lot of other airport restaurants are owned by the same company SSP.

https://www.eatonthemove.com/static/faqs

Including the below mentioned Soho.

Advertisement