Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to install HTPC with tuners

Options
  • 16-02-2018 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey y'all
    My father has a TV downstairs that he mainly watches, but far too many boxes in my opinion. He's got a Blu-ray player, a box for the indoor antenna (for Saorview) and a Sky Digibox (not using a card) to get free channels from the Sky dish.

I'm planning on building him a small form factor PC to combine everything. I've already got a USB blu-ray drive and have tested that, it works.
    However, I recently got this
    http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_novahdusb2.html
    and was earlier on testing it on my laptop. I installed the drivers for Win 10 Anniversary Edition, and the device installed.
    I then tried installing NextPVR but here I ran into problems. I connected the cable coming in from our satellite into the Nova device (took it from the Sky box), plugged it in, and then went into NextPVR, and here's where I got lost.

satellite_list.png
    How do I set up the satellite? Which satellite do I use? I tried going back to the Sky box and getting the settings from there, which were
    11778, 27.5 and V (no idea what they mean), and plugged them in when I selected Manual Scan. No joy.
    I looked up which satellites Sky uses in Ireland, and got this from Wikipedia
    "Sky is currently transmitted from the Astra satellites located at 28.2° east (2A/2C/2E/2F) and Eutelsat's Eutelsat 28A satellite at 28.5°E."
    I tried scanning using the Astra, but got nothing. I couldn't find the Eutelsat in the list.

Any help? Thanks in advance. It might be a while before I can report back saying that advice I get works, since I don't want my father to know about this, so will be trying using my laptop in secret.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You lost me too ....... you linked to a Hauppauge tuner and your pic shows the Device as a TBS8922 which is a PCI tuner card.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 JoeBrown1990

You lost me too ....... you linked to a Hauppauge tuner and your pic shows the Device as a TBS8922 which is a PCI tuner card.

That's a pic I found on the internet, it's not my own. The pic is 99% similar to the menu I'm having trouble with. I can assure you that I do indeed have the USB device I linked to.

My plan is to get a Zotac ZBox or a Gigabyte Brix (preferably with a Geforce card for VDPAU) and connect everything via USB.

In answer to the main question ..... yes Astra 28.2E is the satellite you want.

Then do a scan ... and give it time as there are a lot of transponders on that satellite.

In answer to the main question ..... yes Astra 28.2E is the satellite you want.

Assuming it shows up in the list (I don't think it did earlier when I tried it the first time), is all I do is select it in the list? I don't need to change any other settings like in the picture? Just leave them at whatever defaults there, just choose the 28.2E satellite?

Assuming it shows up in the list (I don't think it did earlier when I tried it the first time), is all I do is select it in the list? I don't need to change any other settings like in the picture? Just leave them at whatever defaults there, just choose the 28.2E satellite?

If the list is the same as the pic you posted then try the Freesat 28.2 entry.

If not then show what you have. I have no idea what the defaults are on your set up.

When selected scan.

• Advertisement

If the list is the same as the pic you posted then try the Freesat 28.2 entry.

If not then show what you have. I have no idea what the defaults are on your set up.

When selected scan.

Okay. Will probably be tomorrow, as my father is downstairs and I have no chance at the moment to test it.

Advertisement