Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAVID BROWN 1390 - LIFT PROBLEMS

Options
  • 16-02-2018 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

I was hoping someone can help.

I have a DB1390, and the lift has stopped working completely. . . not a move out of it.

It had been given trouble with a while before this - would work when it wanted to, when the tractor was cold, but when the tractors warmed up, I could be waiting over 5 mins, revin the tractor up and down, before the lift decided to go up.

But once it did start working, it would lift whatever weight I had on her.

Now its stopped working completely.

I had noticed all along that the engine seemed to be a bit under pressure at times when left running idle - this would come and go. . . . like the engine was doing something . This has now stopped since the lift has stopped working.

The lift pump is at the very front of the tractor, as far as i can see.

Any ideas, before the fine weather comes!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I have a David Brown 995 here. Does the 1390 have the Selectamatic Hydraulic system? Is there a selector on your right hand side that says 'Draft- - height -external? Do you know the sound of the pump when it is working?

Here's good info on the selectamatic system;
    https://dbtc.co.uk/?page_id=1644

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

I have a David Brown 995 here. Does the 1390 have the Selectamatic Hydraulic system? Is there a selector on your right hand side that says 'Draft- - height -external? Do you know the sound of the pump when it is working?

Here's good info on the selectamatic system;
    https://dbtc.co.uk/?page_id=1644

Hi. Thanks for that. It's a standard manual gearbox if that's what you mean ? Not a selectamatic gearbox. Don't think the pump makes any sound . . .Didn't notice it beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭case956tom

I have a DB1390, and the lift has stopped working completely. . . not a move out of it.

It had been given trouble with a while before this - would work when it wanted to, when the tractor was cold, but when the tractors warmed up, I could be waiting over 5 mins, revin the tractor up and down, before the lift decided to go up.

I had noticed all along that the engine seemed to be a bit under pressure at times when left running idle - this would come and go. . . . like the engine was doing something . This has now stopped since the lift has stopped working.

i would check the hyd pump is still being driven the couplings are a weak point,the pump is at the front driven off ther crankshaft pulley,no harm to check the suction filter under the gearbox,also check the 3 way valve the handle may have been moved th a different position.

The hydraulic pump runs constantly when the engine is running. When the pump is maxed out on pressure, you can hear it and the engine labours a bit. This isn't good for the pump.

Is there enough oil in the back end? When was the hydraulic oil filter changed last? On my DB995 you have to take off a sump plate to get at it. Also the hydraulic pump is usually inside at the back end of the tractor.

The 'Lift Pump' usually refers to the diesel lift pump. That's the one with the glass bowl that you work by hand to bleed the tractor.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

The hydraulic pump runs constantly when the engine is running. When the pump is maxed out on pressure, you can hear it and the engine labours a bit. This isn't good for the pump.

Is there enough oil in the back end? When was the hydraulic oil filter changed last? On my DB995 you have to take off a sump plate to get at it. Also the hydraulic pump is usually inside at the back end of the tractor.

The 'Lift Pump' usually refers to the diesel lift pump. That's the one with the glass bowl that you work by hand to bleed the tractor.
    on the 1390 and models above had the hyd pump in front driven off the crankshaft pulley.the hyd system is identical to the hyd in your tractor patsy,it may not have a tcu valve fitted iirc the 94 series didnt have tcu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Have a look over on dbtc.co.uk

Theres a few threads that should help a lot.

This post by Ollek on one of the threads covers most things.
    "The reason can be as simple as a blocked filter and screen in the bottom of the gear box frame. When have you change the oil and the filter and cleaned the suction screen? A dirty filter can also over time lead to damage of the front mounted hydraulic pump. Dirt will also accumulate in the valves in the Selectamatic valve chest and make the spools sticking open, resulting in no lift. The first thing to do is to take the dump valve off and open the small lid on top of the rear axle. Under the lid and under the dump valve you will find the hold valve, take the valve out and check that it is moving freely in the bore. Clean the small hole in the tip of the valve Then open the plug and take out the by-pass valve that you will find under the plug. Remove the small brass plug from inside the valve and take out the small aluminium plate with a tiny hole in the centre and the nylon screen from below the plate. Clean the screen and see that the hole in the plate is open. Do not stick anything into the hole that can make the hole bigger. Then change the oil and the hydraulic filter and clean the screen as per the operators manual. Cover the hole in the rear axle, start the tractor with the two valves removed and let the oil flush the system. Use the link below to check that all parts are in place. Then put everything back and try again. Use the following link, it will show you the valves and all the parts you will find inside the valves."

http://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-se ... 5ar1289784

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Have a MF 265. Went through exactly what you described. New pump and pack and €1100 later and its perfect.

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Have a MF 265. Went through exactly what you described. New pump and pack and €1100 later and its perfect.

Thanks. I'd nearly change the tractor for that sort of money!! Would I not get a second hand pump for a few hundred? Must be a cheaper way out of it.

Thanks. I'd nearly change the tractor for that sort of money!! Would I not get a second hand pump for a few hundred? Must be a cheaper way out of it.
    check john conaty's site single pump €195 ex vat.tandem pump €389/418 ex vat,i would'nt bother with a used pump as bad as your own one is it may be a better one

https://www.johnconaty.com/David-Brown-Parts-s/1832.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Happened our 1394 3 years ago. By your post it could be the same thing. What it is or could be are the shims located in the backend of the tractor. They regulate the oil flow. Ours shifted and the tractor was in constant pump and it burnt out the pump. If you replace the pump it might only last 2 weeks and it will be burnt out. The shims are located under the left hand side of the tractor near the back wheel in a black case. I didn't do them as I didnt have the experience
    Taking out the pump is straightforward, lift out the radiator and take off all the side panels and take out the battery. Be careful opening those 3 bolts on the side of the pump with allankeys as they can be rung easily.
    If your taking out the oil and cleaning the filter it is a bàstard to get it to seal right afterwards.

• Advertisement

Thanks to all who posted a reply .

I had an hour spare today so ripped the plate I saw underneath near the axle (pipe going to it from the pump at the front) and big filter in there was dirty enough. Need to clean it and put it back. See attached picture showing the one I'm talking about. .

Lot of good advice here, but as I'm not a mechanic I don't understand some of the terms used. Where is the "suction plate " that I can clean? Can anyone send me a few pictures showing me where the rest of the filters are that I could clean, before I do any serious ripping? 😓

This is the filter for my DB995. I remove the sump and then pull down the wire mesh which is attached to the filter shown. The mesh part can be cleaned and then put back in. May be different with yours.
    The last time I changed it, it was during the very cold weather and condensation in back end ended up in the paper filter and destroyed it.

Just googled it there;

https://www.malpasonline.co.uk/CatalogueViewer/PageViewer.aspx?publicationID=137&startPage=45

Different on yours. No. 6 on link above is the 1390 filter. You can see mine, no 3.

This is the filter for my DB995. I remove the sump and then pull down the wire mesh which is attached to the filter shown. The mesh part can be cleaned and then put back in. May be different with yours.
    The last time I changed it, it was during the very cold weather and condensation in back end ended up in the paper filter and destroyed it.

Ya that's the same as the filter I took off today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Niall1998

Hi sometimes the hydraulic filter on the underside of the tractor between the 2 back wheels gets dirty or blocked not letting oil get to the pump David brown I had had this complaint lift was poor and jumpy going up took out filter and got new one solved the problem

Well was looking at this DB lift again today for a while.

I took off both filters and washed them in diesel. I didn't have time to get new oil so I filtered the old oil and put it back in. No joy. Then , following advice from a buddy during the week, I put about half a litre of diesel in with the oil.
    Tried the lift after a few mins and it went up like a rocket! I had a 3 ton digger parked right up against the back of the tractor at the time and the lift arms of the tractor actually lifted the digger to one side!!

So job done.

Thanks for all your help

Advertisement