Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dinghy advice. L'equipe

• 16-02-2018 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi
    First dinghy advice. Looked at a great condition l'equipe dinghy. A Marc Laurent design. I can find very little info on them.
    Currently getting lessons, boat will be used this summer by 2 adults.
    Has anyone used one?

Any advice tips appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

They were popular in clubs for teaching kids in the 90's, I would absolutely not buy one now. Don't think there's a fleet anywhere. Not sure where in the world they're still sailed. Not a great boat either, there's plenty of better options. What exactly are you looking for and I can recommend other dinghies? 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

khc wrote: »
    They were popular in clubs for teaching kids in the 90's, I would absolutely not buy one now. Don't think there's a fleet anywhere. Not sure where in the world they're still sailed. Not a great boat either, there's plenty of better options. What exactly are you looking for and I can recommend other dinghies? 

Googling it initially suggests they were first made in 2005 but then I found reference to them being around since 1981 so am a bit confused.

Apart from there being no fleets of them (which is only an issue if you plan on racing - and even then not a complete obstacle) what is wrong with these dinghys?

It looks like a decent, fairly high performance, trapezing, two person dinghy with spinnaker. Looks like it would fill a similar role as a 420.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭too_sleepy

Thanks for the replies.

I've only started lessons on a Topaz, it's too small for me. I find it difficult getting the right time off for lessons; it feels like a sport I could learn quickly if I get out often. My own dinghy means I can continue lessons in that and take it out when I have time. Mostly will be used by two adults.
    It'll be sailed in the Malahide estuary.

This dinghy does look the part but the fact there's so few around has turned me off.
    Other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

khc wrote: »

Googling it initially suggests they were first made in 2005 but then I found reference to them being around since 1981 so am a bit confused.

Apart from there being no fleets of them (which is only an issue if you plan on racing - and even then not a complete obstacle) what is wrong with these dinghys?

It looks like a decent, fairly high performance, trapezing, two person dinghy with spinnaker. Looks like it would fill a similar role as a 420.
    I don't know what year they began manufacture but there was plenty of them in the late nineties when I was instructing in Dublin clubs. They were not high performance like a Laser 2, and weren't particularly pleasant to sail either. 420 is a youth dinghy. 
    I wouldn't encourage anyone to start a one-man fleet tbh, aside from the fact that you can't race or go away to events (and even as a beginner, you're going to improve and probably find an interest in club racing) you also don't get the assistance from other owners when you've problems, need help/broken bits or the social aspect
    Are you definitely looking for a double hander? I think there's a good adult laser fleet up in Malahide. You can pick up an old radial very cheaply
    Or take a look at the RS200 - it's a good two man dinghy for the lighter crew, and also won't be too hard for novice sailors to continue learning in
    Both the laser and RS association have a very healthy membership

Advertisement