Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling to the UK, phone's, phone plans ?

• 16-02-2018 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm on pay as you go with Eir at the moment. When I was in the UK before wifi almost never worked. I do be on trains a lot and even when I tried to pay to use wifi (usually Virgin Trains) it still just didn't work. Can anyone offer advice, a phone or a plan that I could use when over there ?. Will be there for about 3 weeks.
    Thanks
    S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭corkie

If you have a network unlocked phone, buy a pay as you go sim while over there.

I know we have EU roaming now, that is not as expensive.

But check out your network rates for data abroad!

https://www.eir.ie/support/mobile/roaming-costs/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

UK are still in the EU so you should have EU roaming as part of your plan.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

WiFi and mobile data are unrelated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Buy a PAYG sim if yuor phone is unlocked, available in any Sainsburys, Tesco, or Poundland over there - £1 for the SIM card and then whatever the top up. As far as I remember, three do unlimited internet, EE give 1GB I think of data so you wouldn't use the wifi, just mobile data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

With EU roaming this type of thread is not really needed, let's hope that it stays that way after Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

With EU roaming this type of thread is not really needed, let's hope that it stays that way after Brexit.

There'll be no EU roaming in the UK when they leave the EU. Our boarder residents are going to have expensive phone bills if they are not careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The one thing that when you are roaming in the UK (I'm UK based and have both an Irish and UK mobile), the internet speed is restricted in comparison to what it is at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Patww79 wrote: »
    They'll surely be able to get used to it seeing as it was always that way up to very recently anyway.

They'll just start complaining again like they did before EU roaming was introduced.

Advertisement