Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who should I go to?

• 16-02-2018 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi. I am a 23 year old guy. I have diffuse hair loss. My hair is gone see through etc... Who should I go to for this hair loss problem? My GP or blackrock hair transplant centre?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on what you want to do about it, really.

You basically have 3 options:

1. Do nothing, own it by shaving your head and forgetting about your hair.
    2. Get hair transplant surgery. This works, but is expensive and is cosmetic sugery, so comes with side effects, pain and such. It's most expensive for those with the most advanced conditions, which yours probably is.
    3. Use a medical, topical treatment. These are basically hormone blockers at the skin level that let you hold onto the hair you have, and may give you back some thickness. However, it's a lifelong thing; if you stop using these, your hair will fall out.

https://www.mensfitness.com/styleandgrooming/grooming/6-best-fixes-hair-loss

There is no way to permanently reverse male pattern baldness. As harsh as it sounds, the option which is best for your pocket and your self-esteem is to let it happen and come to terms with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭ninjarambohd

seamus wrote: »
    Depends on what you want to do about it, really.

You basically have 3 options:

1. Do nothing, own it by shaving your head and forgetting about your hair.
    2. Get hair transplant surgery. This works, but is expensive and is cosmetic sugery, so comes with side effects, pain and such. It's most expensive for those with the most advanced conditions, which yours probably is.
    3. Use a medical, topical treatment. These are basically hormone blockers at the skin level that let you hold onto the hair you have, and may give you back some thickness. However, it's a lifelong thing; if you stop using these, your hair will fall out.

https://www.mensfitness.com/styleandgrooming/grooming/6-best-fixes-hair-loss

There is no way to permanently reverse male pattern baldness. As harsh as it sounds, the option which is best for your pocket and your self-esteem is to let it happen and come to terms with it.

I mean I have read so many forum about people getting their hair back with the Big Three which is what I have in mind. But don't know where to start. Who should I go to to get it prescribed?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭ninjarambohd

If I go to my GP, will she prescribe propecia if she examines my hair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If I go to my GP, will she prescribe propecia if she examines my hair?

There's no way to know that except by going to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Diffuse is the worst possible hair loss pattern, realistically your only hope to keep the hair is to get on finasteride/propecia immediately.

A lot of GPs won't prescribe it, some will....can't know without asking, though it's cheap to just go somewhere like HRBR once a year where they will prescribe it for you. The total cost per year between appointment/cost of the drug is less than €200.

Hair transplant wouldn't be necessary I'd imagine, if the hair thickens up a little. Hard to get a hair transplant with diffuse thinning.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭Koala Sunshine

Hi. I am a 23 year old guy. I have diffuse hair loss. My hair is gone see through etc... Who should I go to for this hair loss problem? My GP or blackrock hair transplant centre?

This is what I do. I use a custom made laser helmet three times per week, low level laser therapy is proven by studies to regrow hair. Additionally I take vitamin D and K2 supplementd daily, this reverses scalp calcification. I also massage my head daily with strong pressure to break up calcification. I'm going to begin using Apple Cider Vinegar on my scalp weekly as this also helps reverse the calcification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

Just shave the head. Wear a hat when it’s cold.
    People will only notice if your lack of confidence screams “I’ve got no hair and it upsets me”.
    Other than that it’ll have no effect on anyone’s view of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ismel Anincel

This is what I do. I use a custom made laser helmet three times per week, low level laser therapy is proven by studies to regrow hair. Additionally I take vitamin D and K2 supplementd daily, this reverses scalp calcification. I also massage my head daily with strong pressure to break up calcification. I'm going to begin using Apple Cider Vinegar on my scalp weekly as this also helps reverse the calcification.
    To the original poster looking for advice, do absolutely not supplement with Vitamin D and K2. Have a read of the serious, severe negative side effects reported by many people supplementing with this combination, particularly K2, even when taken for general health benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭jimosterberg

If you would look decent with a very tight hair cut you could consider temporary scalp micropigmentation or tricopigmentation as it's called. When done properly it looks like you have a full head of (shaved very short) hair. This doesn't suit everyone of course and can depend on head shape and hair colour for its effectiveness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To the original poster looking for advice, do absolutely not supplement with Vitamin D and K2. Have a read of the serious, severe negative side effects reported by many people supplementing with this combination, particularly K2, even when taken for general health benefits.
    Indeed, vitamin D & K supplements should only be taken where medically advised.

These are part of a group of vitamins that are stored in the body as needed, so continuous supplementing can result in overdose and poisoning. A lot of foods in Ireland are supplemented with vitamin D because we don't get a lot of sunshine, which makes it mostly unnecessary for adults to supplement.

This would especially be the case if you eat a diet high in meat and other animal produce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Miky10

Just been for a free consultation to Tir na nOg Clinic with Dr Kevin McDonald 2 months ago. He precribed propecia for me. He told me to take this for 2/4 months and then to go back to see how the hair is. The propecia has worked very well for me on the crown basically stopping anymore hair from falling out in that area and promoting regrowth. The next step is to do a transplant. I have been quoted 3500 euros for a strip method 1500 grafts by Tir na nOg Clinic. Dr McDonald took a lot of time to explain the process and answer all my questions and i now feel confident letting him do the transplant. I had researched Hair Transplant a lot on the internet but never was fully satisfied i had even gone to two other "reputable" clinics in Dublin who didn't answer my questions properly they seemed to be withholding information. I got quotes from them of 7,000 euros and 12,000 euros. So I'm getting my transplant done next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Patient11

Diffuse is the worst possible hair loss pattern, realistically your only hope to keep the hair is to get on finasteride/propecia immediately.

A lot of GPs won't prescribe it, some will....can't know without asking, though it's cheap to just go somewhere like HRBR once a year where they will prescribe it for you. The total cost per year between appointment/cost of the drug is less than €200.

Hair transplant wouldn't be necessary I'd imagine, if the hair thickens up a little. Hard to get a hair transplant with diffuse thinning.

I would avoid Finasteride like the plague.

http://medsafe.govt.nz/profs/PUArticles/March2016/PostFinasterideSyndrome.htm

http://www.pfsfoundation.org/

tnBfjqX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4 patrickmc23

Did you get the transplant? How did it go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Holy zombie thread, Batman!

Advertisement