Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Fees Initiative Query

Options
  • 16-02-2018 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey guys I need some help on this.

A few years ago I enrolled in a third level degree course and availed of the free fees initiative, as a first time third level student (also mature)

I passed my first year, but during my second year I had to defer due to health issues (well documented with the institution) and continue my studies the next year. Unfortunately I had to then withdraw as with my health condition I couldn't continue on.

After having a few years to recover and feeling much better now, I'd like to return to third level study this September, albeit in a different course and possibly a different institution.

Can anyone enlighten me on being considered again for the free fees initiative in this situation? I do believe that there's a clause citing the possibility of another chance with the initiative, if the initial course of study was withdrawn in these circumstances.

Essentially, do I get a second chance??

Many thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

If it's over 5 years since you withdrew, you'll qualify for free tuition fees (this only applies to people who didn't complete a degree).

If it's within the last 5 years you should apply for a fee waiver on medical grounds - you'll be asked to provide confirmation from your doctor. The fee waiver will only apply to tuition fees, not student contribution fee.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Irishman1357

Thanks very much!

Advertisement