Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no Luas for Blanchardstown

Options
  • 16-02-2018 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Can somebody tell me why, with the plans announces today to spend billions and billions of Euros, for transport in Ireland from 2020 to 2040, there are no plan to bring a Luas line from Broombridge in Cabra to Blanchardstown?

What's the point in having a Taoiseach in the area, (living I might add, right beside the train tracks himself) if he cannot deliver on something as basic as this. Maybe he should ask some of his constituents whether they would consider a luas line for the area, useful or important or whether they prefer to wait on buses and don't place much value on their own time.

I use the train when I'm going into Town and I couldn't give a hoot whether its a Dart or a diesel that takes me in. So why not spend the money helping more of Dublin 15 than just the few who live near the train line.

Dublin 15 and the Greater Blanchardstown Area, has a massive population and adding a spur line, in relative terms wouldn't cost a fortune. Isn't the N3 a new 3 lane carriageway and more than capable of taking a Luas line.

Maybe Mr O'Gorman, or Mr Chambers or some of the left candidates should announce that they will deliver on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

There should be a light rail or metro from the airport through blanc on to Lucan and on to tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Did they not announce a DART which is far better?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

There's not enough people making enough noise about it.
    The new metro is basically running parallel to the dart line and the port tunnel.
    Bray has the dart and a motorway, so why a luas line? People in power, that's why.

Finglas! Cabra! How is it, that areas closest to the city centre have and will have more/better public transport, paschal donohoe that's why.
    When I lived in cabra I could walk into town in 30mins so why do the government feel they need a luas, bus and train.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Murt10 wrote: »
    What's the point in having a Taoiseach in the area, (living I might add, right beside the train tracks himself) if he cannot deliver on something as basic as this. Maybe he should ask some of his constituents whether they would consider a luas line for the area, useful or important or whether they prefer to wait on buses and don't place much value on their own time.
    ...a perfect example of how parish pump politics has buggered up this country!

Staplor wrote: »
    Did they not announce a DART which is far better?????

Yes if your near a station. But yes that's badly needed as well as an increase in frequency on and off peak, also a feeder bus and feeder bus priced tickets to train stations, like the people in malahide have.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    With the existing train stations serving Blanch why would it need a luas? It wouldn't be any quicker, in fact it's be a hell of a lot slower.. only adding to traffic on the roads as a lot of it would be ground level shared with motorists. Surely a simple increase in services to trains linking to Boombridge and Connolly would make the most sense so as to make changes for both the Luas and Dart.
    But it would bring you to the centre• of Ireland with no stress..........•Stephens Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Phil.x wrote: »
    Yes if your near a station. But yes that's badly needed as well as an increase in frequency on and off peak, also a feeder bus and feeder bus priced tickets to train stations, like the people in malahide have.

That's much easier to get than a luas. The luas is slow as hell and takes up road space, more frequent bus and dart would be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Can somebody tell me why, with the plans announces today to spend billions and billions of Euros, for transport in Ireland from 2020 to 2040, there are no plan to bring a Luas line from Broombridge in Cabra to Blanchardstown?

I use the train when I'm going into Town and I couldn't give a hoot whether its a Dart or a diesel that takes me in. So why not spend the money helping more of Dublin 15 than just the few who live near the train line.

Dublin 15 and the Greater Blanchardstown Area, has a massive population and adding a spur line, in relative terms wouldn't cost a fortune. Isn't the N3 a new 3 lane carriageway and more than capable of taking a Luas line.

Maybe Mr O'Gorman, or Mr Chambers or some of the left candidates should announce that they will deliver on it.

Where would this Luas go that has the density to support it? If it goes to too many places it won't be time competitive and if it goes to a few you'll have the same problem as people not beside the train station.

Short hop frequent feeder buses to transport hubs is what our current low density suburbs and towns need, not a fixed asset that only benefits the few close by. Our future developments can be centred on Metro or Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

The rest of the country really feels for you and your inadequate transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Isn't the N3 a new 3 lane carriageway and more than capable of taking a Luas line.

No, its not a 3 lane carriageway. Even if were feasible to put a luas line down the central reservation, why would you?? From Castleknock onwards the N3 runs parallel to the the railway, which as was mentioned above is to be electrified and capacity increased, so a Luas from Broombridge to Blanch would be a complete waste of money.

What motivated this particular argument that you havent thought through? Was it contrived to have a pop at Varadkar? If so, whats the agenda.

There is plenty I would take Varadkar to task over, but not this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Bought in Waterville in 2003. Brochure had two Metro West stops on the Snugborough Road. Now just a pipe dream.

Sports Campus Ireland keeps expanding as planned but the public transport options are woeful, especially at weekends. The 38 routes are the very poor relation to the 39s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

Posts and people thinking like this is why this plan will fail.

Firstly Leo and the other members of the Dail are national legislators, the nonsense some of our TDs have come out with this week is ridiculous. Them gombeens all expecting everything in their own areas. This is parish pump bollocks that will ruin any real development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Broombridge through Finglas and on out to Tyrellstown is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Caranica wrote: »
    Bought in Waterville in 2003. Brochure had two Metro West stops on the Snugborough Road. Now just a pipe dream.

Sports Campus Ireland keeps expanding as planned but the public transport options are woeful, especially at weekends. The 38 routes are the very poor relation to the 39s

It’s crazy that sports campus Ireland doesn’t have bette public transport links

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

There are some tweaks coming to the 38 & 38a from next month, about 8 extra buses Monday to Friday. No improvement to the 38B though.
    Can see the old and new timetables here.
    https://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/?searchtype=route&searchquery=38

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

January wrote: »

Sometime around 2040, a section of the the original Metro West line from Finglas Green Line terminus to Adamstown to the Red Line is possible, interchanging with the DART at Porterstown, and passing through Blanchardstown Centre and Liffey Valley etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

Leo seems totally focused on not been seen to do anything that may be called Parish Pump politics. No kids hospital for Blanch as Leo couldn't be seen to do the right thing in his own area, no decent local swimming pool and now no decent transport investment. I live near the train and also cycle so it doesn't impact me but anyone in Tyrrelstown, corduff and around the Hartstown area has been badly let down by our local representatives when it comes to facilities.

There are some tweaks coming to the 38 & 38a from next month, about 8 extra buses Monday to Friday. No improvement to the 38B though.
    Can see the old and new timetables here.
    https://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/?searchtype=route&searchquery=38

The 38a timetable (old and new) list it as going through Castleknock village. Does anyone know if the route has changed as it currently goes straight from Blanch Village to Morgan place (travellodge).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The rest of the country really feels for you and your inadequate transport.

There are more people living in Dublin 15 than the whole of sligo. Just to put your point into perspective. There are a large number of international companies in Dublin 15, with development land for more to come. If the government spend on a luas for the area it would not only be a benefit to the 68000 plus people who live in Dublin 15 but offer more jobs long term for the whole country to apply for. We mustnt think the whole time small think of the bigger picture.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

AlanG wrote: »
    Leo seems totally focused on not been seen to do anything that may be called Parish Pump politics. No kids hospital for Blanch as Leo couldn't be seen to do the right thing in his own area, no decent local swimming pool and now no decent transport investment. I live near the train and also cycle so it doesn't impact me but anyone in Tyrrelstown, corduff and around the Hartstown area has been badly let down by our local representatives when it comes to facilities.
    So your national legislators are doing what they should be doing and not pandering to moany people looking to have them doing stuff they shouldn't be doing?
    About time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

D15 would be far better served by the delivery of DART Underground and the associated conversion to DART of the Maynooth line. This could then be fed with several north-south bus routes feeding in to the stations on the line.

AlanG wrote: »
    , no decent local swimming pool.

I agree with lots of your post except this

Of the top of my head there are a lot of great swimming pools in Dublin 15. More than, in say, Dublin 17 or other areas.

National aquatic centre
    Westmanstown
    Castleknock hotel
    Coolmine

There may be one at Ben dunnes and junction 6 too?

I agree with lots of your post except this

Of the top of my head there are a lot of great swimming pools in Dublin 15. More than, in say, Dublin 17 or other areas.

National aquatic centre
    Westmanstown
    Castleknock hotel
    Coolmine

There may be one at Ben dunnes and junction 6 too?

None of them are public swimming pools though.

Both finglas and ballymun have amazing swimming pools and council ran gyms. Blanchardstown has nothing like that.

Both finglas and ballymun have amazing swimming pools and council ran gyms. Blanchardstown has nothing like that.

Fair enough. Fingal should have a good fitness centre in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It does; Coolmine.

Not to mention the NAC of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

A lack of facilities provided by the county council, in your case Fingal, is a matter to be taken up with your county councillors not your TD.

It does; Coolmine.

Not to mention the NAC of course.
    Neither of those are public facilties.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Apparently there is a 40L bus coming on stream to do just this. More sort term than a Luas obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Neither of those are public facilties.

They provide exactly the facilities that a council-operated swimming pool would provide, Coolmine in particular.

I'd be pretty annoyed if my LPT was spent by Fingal on another pool that no-one needs.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    So your national legislators are doing what they should be doing and not pandering to moany people looking to have them doing stuff they shouldn't be doing?
    About time!

I totally agree in theory but we have to work in the system that exists until it is changed. PR and the lack of local taxation in Ireland means that TDs are almost like local mayors and have far more power than local government, therefore it is local TDs that get things done. There is no point playing what you think the rules should be if you are loosing all the time to people who work in the reality of the time.

Besides, the decision regarding the Children's hospital was clearly one where the national interest would have been served by putting it in Blanch or Tallagh but Leo gave in to the consultants living in the south city and a desire not to be seen to be doing D15 a favour while he had his eye on the big prize for himself.

Advertisement