Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no Luas for Blanchardstown

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

They provide exactly the facilities that a council-operated swimming pool would provide, Coolmine in particular.

I'd be pretty annoyed if my LPT was spent by Fingal on another pool that no-one needs.

There is no chance of it being a pool that no one needs - the waiting list for lessons in Coolmine is almost a year and it is badly run down compared to the city pools in Ballymun and Finglas.

The NAC is a great facility but not really affordable for many locals on a regular basis as it is a national piece of infrastructure, should the people of Tallagh be happy not to have football pitches for their kids because they have a fine new soccer stadium in the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They provide exactly the facilities that a council-operated swimming pool would provide, Coolmine in particular.

I'd be pretty annoyed if my LPT was spent by Fingal on another pool that no-one needs.

Not at the same cost as the swimming pool and gym in both Finglas and Ballymun do though. Coolmine, as stated above has a waiting list for their swimming lessons and the NAC is not affordable for families on low incomes to use on a regular basis.

It's one thing Fingal lacks IMO and would welcome such a proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

AlanG wrote: »
    Coolmine is almost a year and it is badly run down compared to the city pools in Ballymun and Finglas.

Don't want to make this a thread about pools but I think it's harsh to say Coolmine is badly run down, old fashioned yes but not run down.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

LUAS to the more northerly part of D15 - Tyrrellstown, Ballycoolin, etc might be very useful but a full DART service for the existing rail line is badly needed. It’s clear that D15 - with a population now about the same as Limerick - badly needs far better public transport.

I grew up in Castleknock and currently live off the Navan Road - the traffic on the Navan Road is chock a block more than half the day and it shows how it simply can’t cope with the growth of the D15 area.

Better bus services might help a bit but a Metro/heavy rail solution is a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Don't want to make this a thread about pools but I think it's harsh to say Coolmine is badly run down, old fashioned yes but not run down.

I think Coolmine is great. But it badly needs a refurbishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

JupiterKid wrote: »
    LUAS to the more northerly part of D15 - Tyrrellstown, Ballycoolin, etc might be very useful but a full DART service for the existing rail line is badly needed. It’s clear that D15 - with a population now about the same as Limerick - badly needs far better public transport.

I grew up in Castleknock and currently live off the Navan Road - the traffic on the Navan Road is chock a block more than half the day and it shows how it simply can’t cope with the growth of the D15 area.

Better bus services might help a bit but a Metro/heavy rail solution is a no brainer.

Blanchardstown is really a town in itself. Would be great to have the Luas. But in ireland there is a serious lack of vision on how to deliver any big project. Go to any european country and trams are ten a penny within small and big cities

It seems anytime there is money to do the signal and track upgrade required to the Maynooth line, they spend it on the Dart or Luas.
    I never remember a time when D.15 didn't have traffic problems, or the train wasn't crammed to the rafters.
    It just doesn't seem the have the political influence of other parts of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The signal upgrade required is on Connolly. The signalling and track to Maynooth is only 15 years old and still modern (rail standards move slowly)

Also they need to buy more trains. The DART upgrade if it ever happens will just be wiring and some minor signalling enhancements

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Blanchardstown is really a town in itself. Would be great to have the Luas. But in ireland there is a serious lack of vision on how to deliver any big project. Go to any european country and trams are ten a penny within small and big cities
    The bigger thing that's lacking is the funding. Given the limited finance would you prefer higher taxes or would you rather make the existing services (rail and bus) more efficient?

The bigger thing that's lacking is the funding. Given the limited finance would you prefer higher taxes or would you rather make the existing services (rail and bus) more efficient?

no issue with higher taxes as long as the services are provided

• Advertisement

Seems like my taxes go to making other areas more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭donaghs

Where would you put a luas? The only rough plan proposed was metro west. This roughly followed the M50 from tallaght to the airport metro north. Handy to get the airport or liffey valley from the m50 suburbs, but i couldnt see it carrying high volumes of pasengers regularly.

Most people here want some sort of luas into town. as has been mentioned, there's been a train station for a long time, called Blancharstown on old OSI maps. now called Castleknock (closer to Blanch supervalu than it is to Myos pub though). It now has a handy luas spur at broombridge which goes to stephens green. More frequent trains would help, and bus routes feeding it.

Realistically, what other kind of luas could blanchardstown get? where would it go? what route would it use?

There is a park and ride in Dunboyne and you could also consider another in Ashbourne through ballycoolin as a spur from castleknock.

You need to draw road traffic away from the n3 / M50 .

But it's all pointless unless the line has increased capacity and frequency. Something it has never had in the last quarter of a century.

The Docklands train is shorter at the busiest times. Stops completely in the middle of the day. And it's delayed by other trains on the line.

Otherwise it's the high speed route from d15 to the city centre. It has less stops. It's usually quicker to get the Docklands train and walk to your destination, than get the maynooth train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I was bringing my daughter to the Theory test centre at the end of the Clonsilla Road where it forms a T jct with the Blachardstown village road. The adjoining link to the Shopping centre took me 15 minutes to get through and the same on the way back. I haven't been to Blanch in years but the traffic has become almost completely unmanageable in its present form.

The lights at that junction are way too SLOW.

There isn't a junction like it anywhere else for all day slowness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

doolox wrote: »
    I was bringing my daughter to the Theory test centre at the end of the Clonsilla Road where it forms a T jct with the Blachardstown village road. The adjoining link to the Shopping centre took me 15 minutes to get through and the same on the way back. I haven't been to Blanch in years but the traffic has become almost completely unmanageable in its present form.

The lights at that junction are way too SLOW.

There isn't a junction like it anywhere else for all day slowness.

That junction is being completely redesigned with a second bridge over the n3 to be built. Work to start in the autumn I think

take it up the navan road run it passed the hospital then to the blanch centre... from there out thought mulhuddart to the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

donaghs wrote: »
    Where would you put a luas?
    Most people here want some sort of luas into town.
    where would it go? what route would it use?
    blanch.JPG
    My proposed route is about 15km long with seven stops covering most places,
    The terminus at the Hartstown distributor Rd or preferably further North in the Hartstown Park between Woodvale and Pinebrook,
    Joining back onto the train tracks at the ghost estate under the new Porterstown bridge towards Town/Broombridge.

Advertisement