Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Arklow

Options
  • 17-02-2018 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi All,

Myself and my husband are considering buying a house in meadowvale in Arklow. We are currently in Dublin with a 5year old and a little one on the way. Does anyone know what the reputation is like for Meadowvale and Arklow itself? We love wicklow and go every chance we get. Has anyone else made this move from Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Hi All,

Myself and my husband are considering buying a house in meadowvale in Arklow. We are currently in Dublin with a 5year old and a little one on the way. Does anyone know what the reputation is like for Meadowvale and Arklow itself? We love wicklow and go every chance we get. Has anyone else made this move from Dublin?

Hi,
    The estates currently fine,....the towns a kip.....has potential though...long commute to Dublin if you’re workin 9>5

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't know meadowvale in arklow , I live outside arklow I'm woodenbridge.

The posters above assertion that the town is a kip is not true. The town is actually quite busy it has also had an upsurge in new sales on the main Street recently new businesses opening and the local community make huge efforts to keep the place tidy.

The town also has Bridgewater shopping centre with a great cinema , tk maxx Dunnes , Starbucks Eddie rockets amongst others.

The river is a nice view. And the town runs a few festivals yearly . Having moved down this way a year ago in glad I made the move . I just enjoy it far better than apartment living in Dublin .

listermint wrote: »
    I don't know meadowvale in arklow , I live outside arklow I'm woodenbridge.

The posters above assertion that the town is a kip is not true. The town is actually quite busy it has also had an upsurge in new sales on the main Street recently new businesses opening and the local community make huge efforts to keep the place tidy.

The town also has Bridgewater shopping centre with a great cinema , tk maxx Dunnes , Starbucks Eddie rockets amongst others.

The river is a nice view. And the town runs a few festivals yearly . Having moved down this way a year ago in glad I made the move . I just enjoy it far better than apartment living in Dublin .

Ah now,let’s be realistic here, the town consists of a line of pubs,bookies and take-aways,....great for a day out on the sesh,but not much else.....there is the river,but it’s toxic,and the town the town has its back to it,

In the grand scheme of thing though this doesn’t matter,.....you’ll find what you want between Bridgewater, Tescos and bolands....

There’s plenty of local clubs for kids and school spaces as well....

Unlike listermint,I know the estate well, the new phases of the houses seem great......there are plenty of kids around in the 4/5 age bracket and the play park on the rise is great for them:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tradtshirt

If you ask anyone who has moved to Arklow they will tell you its a great place to live.

If you ask anyone from Arklow they will moan about how much it has gone downhill.

Happily the numbers of out-of-towners is growing.

Just a heads up,...Meadowvale prices are after hiking up another 5k today.....that’s the second 5k hike in the space of a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I lived by the Arklow Bay for a few years, it was always an ok place, little antisocial activity and safe to be out after dark. the kids loved the beach and feeding the birds on the river, now with the shopping centre, no more slepping to Gorey to shop and the cinema. Once you check you aren't in the flood line it's almost to me as good as suburban dub!(which from me is a great compliment)

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jane Raikar

Thanks everyone for your advise. We spent the weekend down in Arklow. We've decided it's not for us.

Thanks everyone for your advise. We spent the weekend down in Arklow. We've decided it's not for us.

What swung it for u in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dawanda

Hi, I am considering Arklow as a place to move to as well, but I wonder whether it's safe or whether there is a lot of antisocial behavior and crime? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dawanda wrote: »
    Hi, I am considering Arklow as a place to move to as well, but I wonder whether it's safe or whether there is a lot of antisocial behavior and crime? thanks

Genuinely visit yourself during the week and on a weekend. Its a busy enough coastal town with many amenities.

You can make your own decision and thats all it should ever be.

Ive never had any antisocial or crime experiences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 thomas.oleary

dawanda wrote: »

I've moved down almost a year ago and I've not witnessed any anti-social behavior. There's groups of teenagers that hang around near south beach or up in Tesco but I only ever see them in groups having a bit of craic, never any intimidation or anything.

At the sea breeze festival there was a tonne of people around, drinking on the street and having a good time. I saw 2 guards the whole festival and not a bother on any person, I would have been around from early afternoon until late evening and watch out for anti-social bits.

The only time I ever felt the slightest bit intimidated was during the height of the summer there was about 10 lads sitting in between a space in the rocks blasting music, drinking and smoking joints. But there was no issue walking past them twice, they were far enough away from the general public that most wouldn't have even known they were there (except for the chimney stack of smoke flowing up from behind the rocks)

Other than that I buy the local paper and there is usually very little crime reported (I'd imagine this is where it all gets reported) the courts section is always small amounts of drugs or driving with no tax/insurance etc.

But like previous posters have said come down for the weekend and check it out for yourself.

Personally I love being this close to the sea, beaches, mountains and forests. The town is big enough to have major shops but small enough were you're not frantic and constantly crowded. Any local's I've met have all been lovely and just like to moan about bridgewater ruining the town ;)

Advertisement