Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huddersfield Town v Manchester United FA Cup- 5th Round Match Thread k/o 17:30 BT Spo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So whose lines do we trust the PL's, BT's, Sky's

I think the line at the front of the square are close enough to judge it and for me he was on, just on but imo he was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

No they said it wasn't a clear and obvious miss by the ref that's a different thing than not a pen.

Not sure about your feed, in mine they said VAR checked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

AidoEirE wrote: »
    His hand is offside apprantly. If your running full speed your hands do that up and down movement, its incredible thats offside.

Wasnt even a bloody straight line

You're only offside if a part of your body you can legally score with is offside.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

His hand is offside. If your running full speed your hands do that up and down movement, its incredible thats offside.

Wasnt even a bloody straight line

Your hand can't even be offside as its not a goal scoring body part, or whatever way they word it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Mata's knee was fractionally in front of the defender therefore offsite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Bein have it done right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    The one that is parallel to Penalty line.

And if the camera angle is off then what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

They showed the actual lines they used, not the wobbly lines. But the actual line they used is not straight either, it's clearly out too.
    What a farce.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Your hand can't even be offside as its not a goal scoring body part, or whatever way they word it

Was my point, its shambolic

• Advertisement

Bein have it done right

So the PL/FA, BT & Bein all have different angles whose do we believe.

Bein have it done right

That's onside.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Bein have it done right
    Ball has clearly left the foot there

Had to edit the other post as 'apprantly offside' couldnt get it out in my rage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Rossi IRL wrote: »

I think they changed that recently but that was certainly the way it was

So the PL/FA, BT & Bein all have different angles whose do we believe.

The linesman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Offside is always when the player is conclusively ahead of line, not when his knee 'could' be one-centimeter offside etc.

Neil Swarbrigg and his team sound like they are urgently trying to cover-up their massive f-up

VAR needs to scrapped until a proper system is in place, just image the damage to the game if the World Cup Final or the Champions League Final is decided on a farce like that

The linesman?

The good old days :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

naughtb4 wrote:
    Ball has clearly left the foot there

I can't see the front of Ashley Young's foot, can you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

You can’t use the camera angle to draw the lines, then you get what happens with the VAR wrong lines.. you judge it by the cuts on the grass and the penalty box lines, and you put your line parallel to those

The World Cup is going to be fun when games actually matter and this happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

It's not hard to draw straight line, if they can't even get that right then there is no point using video replays/

In all fairness on or off side, this ****ing line for the var is a joke. Its like trying to draw a line free hand drunk

astradave wrote: »
    You can’t use the camera angle to draw the lines, then you get what happens with the VAR wrong lines.. you judge it by the cuts on the grass and the penalty box lines, and you put your line parallel to those

Get the GPS lawn mowers out then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Var is so bad . Should only be called on for uncertain situations and should be done in a timely manner. This call was ridiculous.

Even when bt showed the straight lines he still looked onside . Never wanted var. Refs have come on tremendously in the last few years in fairness . This really takes the fun out of football

Get the GPS lawn mowers out then.

It seems you are purposely overlooking the facts laid in front of you, tbh I wouldn’t expect anything less from you, have at it I suppose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If lines are being used to judge offside then every pitch will need to have some sort of infra-red marker system running along the advertising LED boards on both sides which can be read by a sensor so that you get a true measure as the last player interferes with a beam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I said it repeatedly in previous discussions regarding VAR and every time its used I have been proven to be completely right.

Decisions in soccer are far too subjective for VAR to be effective. It solves nothing.

It seems you are purposely overlooking the facts laid in front of you, tbh I wouldn’t expect anything less from you, have at it I suppose :)

Good job insulting the poster not the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Find it hard to trust bt looking to get something to talk about in a really dull fa cup round

Not even talking from a conspiracy point of view, more trusting the functionality of technology. I've seen different sport productions put up different lines for the same decision before.

Impossible to tell from naked eye if a line is perfectly straight, if they're even an inch off from one side of the pitch to the other that could be the difference of offside or not. There's a margin of error with technology.

Good job insulting the poster not the post.

Where is the insult? Is it not true that you fail to see anything that could have a positive outcome towards United?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

VAR still crap.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I said it repeatedly in previous discussions regarding VAR and every time its used I have been proven to be completely right.

Decisions in soccer are far too subjective for VAR to be effective. It solves nothing.

NFL with their equivalent of VAR does have it's occasional issue but in the NFL it's always used in conjunction with the premise that the video evidence has to be fully conclusive in order to overturn any decision made by a referee on the field

Even if Swarbrigg was looking at the correct straight 'line' there is no way on earth anyone can say that conclusively was offside. Total joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The World Cup is going to be fun when games actually matter and this happens.

I'm sure the game will suddenly matter to you if the score swings around

Where is the insult? Is it not true that you fail to see anything that could have a positive outcome towards United?

I have said nothing about utd I have been talking about VAR and how sh1t it is you are the one bringing utd into it.

I have also said it was sh1t even when it benefited Liverpool in the WBA game.

No VAR there

2-0 :p

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hateful! Just shows about taking your chances, which is what small teams tend to be bad at of course.

That was onside :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And yet people complain about Lukaku.

• Advertisement

3-0 (scandalous VAR overturned goals count)

Hateful!

Oh yeah? Why's that?

Scrap the cap!

BT Sport commentators now saying the ref and VAR got it right for the Mata 'offside goal'

BT Sport commentators now saying the ref and VAR got it right for the Mata 'offside goal'
    Yeah but it's Ian Darke and Steve McNanaman

It you like football intelligence you should have any BT Sport commentary turned to mute

Graham Poll now saying on BT Sport that they got the VAR decision right but only by luck... FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The decision was right. The whole point of VAR is exactness and Mata was ever so slightly offside. If it was Mata's foot, there wouldn't be much of an argument but just because it's a body part like the knee it seems more arguable, which it shouldn't be. I'm all for more stringent clarification of the rules but for what's there it's the right decision.

• Advertisement

Bein have it done right

How is that right when the blue line is behind the Huddersfield player

How is that right when the blue line is behind the Huddersfield player

It’s to show his full knee, the rest were covering his knee so couldn’t see where it started.. that’s just my two cents anyways

Graham Poll now saying on BT Sport that they got the VAR decision right but only by luck... FFS
    And of course as Graham Poll is talking through his hoop like he did during his disasterous refereering career

He made that stupid statement based on the 27th different line shown tonight that of course still wasn't straight

They're saying right call, but no pictures of him offside.

Corholio wrote: »
    The decision was right. The whole point of VAR is exactness and Mata was ever so slightly offside. If it was Mata's foot, there wouldn't be much of an argument but just because it's a body part like the knee it seems more arguable, which it shouldn't be. I'm all for more stringent clarification of the rules but for what's there it's the right decision.

No the decision wasn't right because any offside has to be viewably conclusive and that the benefit of any doubt is always decided in favour of the attacking party

A kneecap of inches ambiguity with a TV camera angle not in-line and 57 varying wonky 'lines' displayed on TV does not make that at any time a right decision

• Advertisement
Advertisement