Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get a refund from Microsoft?

Options
  • 17-02-2018 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Hello,

My son's Xbox One X Scorpio Edition broke down 2 months after he got it.
    We got it serviced by Microsoft (in Germany - took a few weeks with shipping).
    They sent it back with a leaflet saying they just reinstalled the software and performed extensive hardware testing.
    1 day after we got it back it broke down again the same way.
    I Google'd the error codes and I found similar stories. Other people said they even went for the replacement option and the replacement did the exact same error.
    So I simply conclude that the 1st version of this hardware is just dodgy. I do not trust it anymore and I do not trust Microsoft are willing to do any real work on it (as they didn't the 1st time). Their customer support is useless. All they can see is what you see on your end: Nothing really.
    We had the 360 and still have the original Xbox One. Not an issue, ever.

Is the any law that will get me out of this situation?
    Meaning: Refund (we bought it in November and it 1st broke down in January)

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You need to go back to the retailer where you purchased it (which is what you should have done in the first place). Your legal contract is with the retailer and they are obliged to engage with you

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

dudara wrote: »
    You need to go back to the retailer where you purchased it (which is what you should have done in the first place). Your legal contract is with the retailer and they are obliged to engage with you

I bought it from Microsoft directly.

Ah OK. Thanks for clarifying.

Given the same fault has recurred, under Irish consumer law you would be entitled to reject further repair and instead seek a refund or replacement. However, it’s important to know which Microsoft legal entity you purchased it from? Which specific website did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

dudara wrote: »
    Ah OK. Thanks for clarifying.

Given the same fault has recurred, under Irish consumer law you would be entitled to reject further repair and instead seek a refund or replacement. However, it’s important to know which Microsoft legal entity you purchased it from? Which specific website did you use?

Thank you.

I bought it (pre-ordered) from the Microsoft Store. I paid in EUR as normal and via PayPal.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/store/b/home

Can you please point me to the legislation that I can wave around to get me a refund?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

xboxdad wrote: »

Can you please point me to the legislation that I can wave around to get me a refund?

What you are looking for does not exist.

Microsoft must offer one of Repair, Replace or Refund ... they must offer .. you either accept or don’t. Should you not accept you are entitled to go to the small claims court.

As they have repaired and it hasn’t worked .. they are entitled to offer a replacement or a refund. More than likely they will offer a replacement.

You can not use your own googling as a basis of assumption to deem that all their products are faulty

Advertisement