Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone working full-time want their dog to have a companion dog?

Options
  • 17-02-2018 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Am working full time and feel guilty about my dog being alone all day . Anyone else in Wilton area in similar situation? Maybe you could leave your dog in my house while you work and collect in evening- have a dog flap and really secure garden ( very high wall) and dogs would be company for each other . I leave dog indoors all day but she can go out to toilet whenever she wants .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Thats dotey. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,034 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Having another dog visiting is not the answer to a dog being left alone all day.
    Having someone call and walk the dog or doggie daycare is the answer. Or a change in your work pattern. You are right to feel guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

There's always one! Can't afford those suggestions. I put my dog first as much as can and she's spoiled rotten when am home. I won't even go to the shop for milk in evening as feel bad that she's been alone for 8 hours . I sacrifice any social life for her as it is. What choice do I have when can't afford other options ?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

you might find a dog walker fairly cheap these days if u say block book appointments with them? maybe a teenager that you know will do it? even say 30e a week to come mon to fri n take the dog for a walk? lots of young people would love this. what kind of dog is it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I would not leave two dogs who aren't familiar with each other on their own all day. Too much chance of something going wrong.
    Have a read in the animal & pet issue forum. Even dogs who live together permanently will get into scraps every now and again. I speak from experience.
    Are you sure that your dog is not too territorial? How would he/she react if the other dog took their favourite toy? I wouldn't chance it!

• Advertisement

I would not leave two dogs who aren't familiar with each other on their own all day. Too much chance of something going wrong. Have a read in the animal & pet issue forum. Even dogs who live together permanently will get into scraps every now and again. I speak from experience. Are you sure that your dog is not too territorial? How would he/she react if the other dog took their favourite toy? I wouldn't chance it!

I'd be super careful and introduce them supervised for months before ever let then alone together. Dog is really good natured and not particularly territorial. Good point though.

you might find a dog walker fairly cheap these days if u say block book appointments with them? maybe a teenager that you know will do it? even say 30e a week to come mon to fri n take the dog for a walk? lots of young people would love this. what kind of dog is it

Teenagers are typically at school 9am to 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Having another dog visiting is not the answer to a dog being left alone all day.
    Having someone call and walk the dog or doggie daycare is the answer. Or a change in your work pattern. You are right to feel guilty.

Ignore posts like this.

Some would have you believe that pound and being put down is preferable to having a dog which has to stay in the back garden alone during working hours.

noodler wrote:
    Some would have you believe that pound and being put down is preferable to having a dog which has to stay in the back garden alone during working hours.

I do feel guilty as I said but what can I do short of putting her to sleep as I genuinely cannot afford a dog walker . She has a 5 start home the other 16 hours of the day, even sleeps in the bedroom because of my guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

seefin wrote: »
    I do feel guilty as I said but what can I do short of putting her to sleep as I genuinely cannot afford a dog walker . She has a 5 start home the other 16 hours of the day, even sleeps in the bedroom because of my guilt.

Hold on a second. Is the dog exhibiting signs of distress at being alone or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭denismc

We have a dog walker comes and walks our dog twice a week.
    I am sure there are probably people near where you live who would walk your dog for half an hour a day.
    Even if they get out twice in the week, its still better than nothing.
    Whoever you get make sure they are genuine dog lovers, our dog walker is mad about our dog and often takes her for the full day while we are at work, everyone wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

OP, I know how you feel. When I went back to work after being unemployed for so long, I worried about my dog too. After some trial and error, we have found a fantastic doggy day care for him. Yes, it costs. but those are the breaks when you have a dog!

Couple of suggestions for you:

Is there a college student, you could throw a couple of quid to walking your dog?
    Or you could try Borrow My Doggy.

Hope you get sorted soon.

denismc wrote:
    We have a dog walker comes and walks our dog twice a week. I am sure there are probably people near where you live who would walk your dog for half an hour a day. Even if they get out twice in the week, its still better than nothing. Whoever you get make sure they are genuine dog lovers, our dog walker is mad about our dog and often takes her for the full day while we are at work, everyone wins.

I've put ad up in local shop but nobody came forward. That would be a dream to find someone to do voluntarily but noone has come forward. Still think my idea of a companion dog is a good one if worked out. Might encourage someone to adopt a dog from a rescue if thought he could have doggy company during the day?
    As for them having the odd scrap, how do people who adopt a second dog cope when they leave them alone the first few weeks?

Believe me,I've looked at every angle and this is my final angle . Can I ask people not to post unless they know of someone interested in pairing up as It's just making me.upset and more guilty than I already feel . It's this or continue leaving her alone all day . Is it kinder to put her to sleep ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Look - Don't be so dramatic! We're trying to help here. Did you check out Borrow My Doggy? Alternatively, try posting in the Animal Forum - someone there might be able to suggest something or someone. Have you tried that?

Can't afford those suggestions.

What choice do I have when can't afford other options ?

Quite simply, these are things you should have thought about before getting a dog.

Bit late for that, now, though.
    It seems that if a dog suffers from separation anxiety, another dog won't help the situation.

A walker or doggie daycare are really the only options that I can see.

Quite simply, these are things you should have thought about before getting a dog.

Separated from partner who used work from home. You're not being helpful. Mods can you close this thread as it's not getting response I was hoping for. I put my dog before my own needs always

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Does you dog show signs that she is upset by being alone 8 hours?
    You sound like a kind person who loves their dogs but you could be putting unnecessary guilt on yourself.
    Are you taking she out for a good walk each day?
    She can go out to the toilet and probably sits outside if its fine.
    Has she a kong toy to chew on?
    Older people with some time on their hands may be a better bet than students. Is their any older persons group in your area you could contact to see?
    Hopefully you find a solution. The alternative is too drastic and unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭denismc

Op, I am a little worried about your thought process, there is absoloutely no need to put the dog to sleep!
    The country is full of homes with dogs left unattended during the day, its not ideal but the dog if the dog has a good quality of life then its not the end of the world.
    If you think your dog is getting very distressed and ripping up the house then consider re-homing them.
    Putting the dog to sleep is not a soloution, and it will cost you money.

Yes tried borrowmydog last few weeks but no luck. Guess that did sound dramatic but honestyI'd prefer her or any animal to be put to sleep rather than be unhappy . The same as I think a human is better off dead than having a miserable existence. That's my philosophy of life and not everyone might agree.If anyone is interested in a companion dog, PM me. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

What did dogs do before humans hung around with them all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

As for them having the odd scrap, how do people who adopt a second dog cope when they leave them alone the first few weeks?

I didn't leave them alone for at least 6 months. Separate rooms at first. Then the little one in a crate, she loves it and feels safe in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

http://www.pawsandpencils.com

We used this girl a few years ago when we were away and couldn't put our fella into a kennel.
    Lovely girl and lives for animals.
    I think she still does dog walking so might be worth ringing. She could be your area a few times a week and willing to agree a good price if it's not costing her petrol money.
    Her name is Heather and I'd happily use her again if needed. Worth a call anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Don't mind the people chiming in spectacularly unhelpfully, they're like flies to sh1te on threads like these.

It's a nice idea to have a companion dog but there's a lot of uncertainty involved; you know your own dog but you'd be relying on a stranger's word and judgement about the other dog.

I'd say just keep plugging away looking for a walker, it might be something people are more interested in in the summer months.

Is the dog actually distressed? Is she wetting inside, digging holes, chewing things up?

I'd say you can give yourself a bit of a break, it's not ideal but it's not the worst conditions at all. A lot of dogs would be lucky to have such a concerned owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Bit late for that, now, though.
    It seems that if a dog suffers from separation anxiety, another dog won't help the situation.

A walker or doggie daycare are really the only options that I can see.

Again, ignore this poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Some very strange responses in this thread.
    OP, you sound like you want the very best for your dog, and nobody knows your dog as well as you do. You will know if she's unhappy, but it's entirely likely that she takes herself off for some intensive napping while you're at work. As long as she knows for certain that you're coming home she probably won't be distressed during the day. If you're in doubt you might be able to set a camera, maybe the webcam on your laptop to watch her and see what she does on a typical day. I found that mine slept, occasionally getting up to stretch and yawn and make sure the bowls were definitely empty, then slept some more. The only time there was any real movement was when my car pulled up outside.
    The idea of pairing her up with another dog during the day is perfectly viable. It's just a matter of finding the right dog. Put the word out, give it time. Do you meet people where you walk her? I made great friends when I used to live in Dublin with my dog and the same people had the same dogwalking routines every day. We often took care of each other's dogs, and I know of a few who had day-care arrangements with each other. You'll know if your girl is comfortable with another dog, and if you're happy to leave them together then do it. I hope it works out for you. The guilt can take the fun out of dog ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Don't even consider putting the dog down. The dog is likely fine with being home all day if you give it enough attention in the evenings. Our dog at home sleeps half the day away whether anyone's home or not. They don't need a crazy amount of activity unless they're a husky or border collie etc. One thing I used to do with my dog for my own amusement was put a doggy biscuit slightly out of reach of the dog when I left. Little bit of stimulation.

Your idea of a companion dog is good, and if I was in a similar situation I'd go for it. Another option could be to split the walking with a retired neighbour that has a dog. She takes the morning you take the evening.

Austria! wrote: »
    Don't even consider putting the dog down.

No one on this thread has suggested putting the dog down. The OP said "what can I do short of putting her down?" That does not mean that the OP is considering putting her down.

While there may be some disagreement on what the solution is, no one thinks that euthanasia is the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

No one on this thread has suggested putting the dog down. The OP said "what can I do short of putting her down?" That does not mean that the OP is considering putting her down.

Here's a quote. Seems like a genuine question to me.
    It's this or continue leaving her alone all day . Is it kinder to put her to sleep ?

• Advertisement

I'd prefer to think it wasn't serious. More something uttered in frustration.

Advertisement