Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone working full-time want their dog to have a companion dog?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

If you're in doubt you might be able to set a camera, maybe the webcam on your laptop to watch her and see what she does on a typical day. I found that mine slept, occasionally getting up to stretch and yawn and make sure the bowls were definitely empty, then slept some more. The only time there was any real movement was when my car pulled up outside.

Ya good idea I have this camera to keep an eye on house while at work, would work well for keeping an eye on your dog.

You can also speak to him through camera
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DU59PJ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

At the risk of getting a dig, please please do your homework on a companion dog before leaving them together for the day. Even when you think you have found the perfect dog, put them together on a non working day and go out for a while so you can come back at unexpected times to see all is well.

Our neighbour has fortunately found a good companion for their dog, albeit this is number 3 !. First one they 'matched' and left for work - the noise and fighting was extreme although stopped when they got home. We mentioned it several times, but it was only when their dog suffered a bite that they took notice. Second dog was fine, just again really really noisy all day (I work from home). The third one is a match made in heaven and its never been quieter :D

So, yes a companion dog absolutely works if you get the right one, but I guess from both your own dogs health/happiness and that of the neighbour, choose carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

At the risk of getting a dig, please please do your homework on a companion dog before leaving them together for the day. Even when you think you have found the perfect dog, put them together on a non working day and go out for a while so you can come back at unexpected times to see all is well.

Our neighbour has fortunately found a good companion for their dog, albeit this is number 3 !. First one they 'matched' and left for work - the noise and fighting was extreme although stopped when they got home. We mentioned it several times, but it was only when their dog suffered a bite that they took notice. Second dog was fine, just again really really noisy all day (I work from home). The third one is a match made in heaven and its never been quieter :D

So, yes a companion dog absolutely works if you get the right one, but I guess from both your own dogs health/happiness and that of the neighbour, choose carefully.

Completely common sense.

Also, ensure the dogs meet on neutral ground first too. Nothing worse than just chucking a dog in with another in their own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

The sanctimoniousness of boards strikes again and not surprising in the least and some real asshole posts.

The polite thing to do would be suggest daycare or dog walkers without telling the poster they should feel guilty etc.

But then some people cannot help themselves at being twats.

Having another dog visiting is not the answer to a dog being left alone all day.
    Having someone call and walk the dog or doggie daycare is the answer. Or a change in your work pattern. You are right to feel guilty.

Most boards.ie answer ever! I wonder does it actually make people feel better being horrible to strangers on the internet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    What did dogs do before humans hung around with them all day?

Simply they weren't dogs, which are a domesticated animal.

But, unless the OP's dog is distressed it's a non issue. OP's dog sounds lucky to have her .

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Most boards.ie answer ever! I wonder does it actually make people feel better being horrible to strangers on the internet?

i usually ignore what that person posts - have seen enough of them to know they don't warrant attention.

OP - have a dog myself. am gone from 8-5 each day but its walked 3 times a day - before work, after work & before bed with 30 mins play time when we get in from the after work walk. its a small dog so walks aren't long - he prefers to smell EVERYTHING so they're not fast walks either so I'm not sure how suited a dog walker would be.

have thought the same as you - what is he doing during the day, is he ok?. most of the time he's still in the same place i left him in the morning which is curled up in a throw on the couch. if not there, he in his bed because he got down for some water.

a friend of mine in the same situation got, like someone suggested, wifi cameras. he can look at the cams on an app in his phone to see what he's up to. theres also an IR beam on them that if it gets broken - an alert goes to his phone. he says they're great, gave him great peace of mind.

a neighbour moved in a few months ago and last week she offered to walk my during the day. i told her there wasn't much of a need but if she really wanted to, we'd look into it. (small bit wary as she has a 2YO at the mo and didnt want to burden her with having to walk my dog. she didnt/couldnt bring her dog over for a few reasons so is obviously missing her dog). there might be someone like that when you live?

OP - sounds to me like you're doing just fine by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

OP - is the dog showing any signs of distress. I am in same situation as yourself but am fortunate enough to work nearby and get home at lunchtime. my dog is much happier outside in his kennel than inside the house. most times when I come home at lunchtimes he won't even come out of his kennel to greet me! this week because of the depth of snow in the garden I had to leave him inside but when I got home he had wee"d and pooh'd and upturned his water and feeding bowls. he had wanted to get out to his kennel.
    I think my dog likes his own space. he's pampered royally for the rest of the time I am not at work. I think you are being too hard on yourself especially if your dog is not showing signs of distress.

Advertisement