Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 yr old sick. BRAT diet or not?

• 17-02-2018 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

LO has had a cold a couple of days which went into high temp yest and during the night. He had one vomit episode at 10pm last night and nothing since, has kept down all doses of meds during the night. I chanced a littlemilk this morning and 2 hours later, has kept it down. Prob a stupid question but would I still need to stick to BRAT diet or keep trial and error? I don't think it;s a normal stomach bug. He seems otherwise ok. We've had bugs with regular vomiting and absolutely BRAT for at least 2 days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Wouldn't bother, risk constipating him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

As it happens he's off his food. So a bit of banana, crackers, raisins and milk was all he was interested in. He's bad for drinking water which is a nuisance. Temp had stabilised all day til spiking again at 4pm. No more vomiting, fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

Parenting sounds so complicated these days.
    A bit of calpol.
    If he holds that down for an hour or so a bit of water and toast.
    If he hasn’t peed in a day or so go hospital.

Worked for me and I’ve four of them running around the place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

That'd be me.What's a BRAT diet?I'd get in whatever liquid possible, including well-watered down orange or blackcurrant.Maybe some toast, plain biscuits or crackers, dry cereal.If vomiting and temp go on for a couple of days, I'd head for a doctor and expect and ear or throat infection (for my little one anyway, that's what it tends to be.)No dairy, heavy foods like bananas, or oranges or anything like that, just plain bits and whatever they'll take.And lots of sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

What's a BRAT diet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Bananas, rice, stewed apple and toast. "Safe" foods for a tummy bug if they're up to eating at all. We have the same recurring temperature/tummy woes for 6 days now, it's a horrible dose. Cool pops are good for getting a bit of fluid into them.

Advertisement