Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop port issue

Options
  • 17-02-2018 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I own a packard bell ya laptop. My wireless internet works fine but my RJ45 port to plug into the modem won’t work. All the leads are ok and it works on different laptops. There’s no lights on the port on the Laptop either. Would anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Hi all

I own a packard bell ya laptop. My wireless internet works fine but my RJ45 port to plug into the modem won’t work. All the leads are ok and it works on different laptops. There’s no lights on the port on the Laptop either. Would anyone have any ideas?

Is the ethernet controller enabled in device manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

mordeith wrote: »
    Is the ethernet controller enabled in device manager?

I’m sorry now but that’s like Dutch to me. How would I find that section generally on a windows 7 laptop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

I’m sorry now but that’s like Dutch to me. How would I find that section generally on a windows 7 laptop ?

Control panel then device manager and see is there an exclamation mark beside ethernet or something similar.
    If there is you will need to update the driver for it to get it working

Thanks lads.

Ive checked and it doesnt have a driver. It wouldnt auto install and Ive looked on the packard bell site and got a list of things to download

But none say Ethernet???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The Broadcom netlink one

mordeith wrote: »
    The Broadcom netlink one

Got and downloaded it and have lights now on port but not connecting to the internet yet

Is there any thing I need to do with the file after I download it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Is it 1 file? If it is an .exe file, run it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

If it's a zip file you'll need to right click it to unpack the file. In the unpacked file double click the exe file and it should install.

When I downloaded the zip file, I got 3 folders

The types of files were

Security catalog
    Setup information
    System file

No .exe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Open Netowrk and Sharing Center. Click on Change Adapter Settings on the top left and Ethernet adapter should be listed. It should tell you if you have connectivity. If its missing...

If you go back to device manager, it should be listed under Network Adapters.
    If not, right click on your PC name at the top and then
    Add Legacy Hardware. Choose Network adapters then when the list of drivers appear click on Have Disk, then browse to the folder you downloaded. It should show a .ini file for you to install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Did you right click the zip file to unpack It?

Advertisement