Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alcaholic spouse

• 17-02-2018 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Does an alcaholic spouse have rights in the home ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MissTheDome

breadman wrote: »

An alcoholic spouse has the same rights in the home as any other type of spouse.
    He or she is an alcoholic - not a serial killer.
    If however the alcoholism manifests with abuse towards you or family members then that certainly changes things.

I believe that to be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I think that's a fantastic question and needs to be addressed.

Actually I feel for the op.
    And guessing she/he could be at their wits end.
    Unless you have lived with an alcoholic, then you probably dont understand the question!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

breadman wrote: »

In the sense of rights to the deeds of the home? As in if you were to split - I would imagine so yes as it is the main family home and my understanding is regardless of whose name is on the deeds you both have a share in it - whether equal or not however I do not know.

If you are asking about rights as in behaviour sense - if you feel threatened by their behaviour you can apply for a protection/safety order under the domestic violence act I think it is and that prevents the person using or threatening to use violence but they can remain in the home. A barring order would be required to get them out.
    Obviously this isn't intended to be legal advice

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MissTheDome

I think that's a fantastic question and needs to be addressed.

Actually I feel for the op.
    And guessing she/he could be at their wits end.
    Unless you have lived with an alcoholic, then you probably dont understand the question!?

Ah therein lies problem. Guessing...
    I am divorced. I married someone who spiraled into drinking, gambling and a litany of other issues ..I could go on BUT when someone comes on a forum asking about issues of "rights"where a family home is involved it is really black and white.
    If there is no barring order, he / she has the same rights as the other invested spouse.
    That has been my experience albeit a few years ago. The legal eagles can correct me if i'm wrong. I am open to correction.

Naturally, i feel for the op. Life can be amazing, but when you feel beaten you won't allow yourself hear that, hurt rises but so can you OP. Feel your positive self and see the mirror in ten years. YOU are in control, take the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 breadman

In the sense of rights to the deeds of the home? As in if you were to split - I would imagine so yes as it is the main family home and my understanding is regardless of whose name is on the deeds you both have a share in it - whether equal or not however I do not know.

If you are asking about rights as in behaviour sense - if you feel threatened by their behaviour you can apply for a protection/safety order under the domestic violence act I think it is and that prevents the person using or threatening to use violence but they can remain in the home. A barring order would be required to get them out.
    Obviously this isn't intended to be legal advice
    Thank you for a very sensible reply !

• Advertisement
Advertisement