Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's this please? (motorcycle charger)

Options
  • 17-02-2018 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭

Seems to do nothing when pressed
    b6se54.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

blade1 wrote: »
    b6se54.jpg

Sicherung means fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Old Perry wrote: »
    Sicherung means fuse.

I know, but how does it work?
    What is pressing the button supposed to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I'd say it resets if it trips? That or it screws out and theres a glass-type fuse in there...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Its like a circuit breaker, the centre button pops out in the event of a short or an overload. You just push it back in to reset it.

Thanks lads!
    I hadn't seen it in any other charger I've ever used.
    Would that charger be too powerful to use on motorbike batteries?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Depends on the battery voltage. Some motorbikes use 6V batteries, that charger is 12/24, and if battery is 6V, it won't work for you.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Depends on the battery voltage. Some motorbikes use 6V batteries, that charger is 12/24, and if battery is 6V, it won't work for you.

12v.
    Last time I had a 6v battery in a motorbike was 1988. :pac:

I'm more worried about the ah.
    It says on the charger min 30ah.
    I think 12v bike batteries are around 15ah.
    Would that mean it could fry a battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Chippy01

12v.
    Last time I had a 6v battery in a motorbike was 1988. :pac:

I'm more worried about the ah.
    It says on the charger min 30ah.
    I think 12v bike batteries are around 15ah.
    Would that mean it could fry a battery?

I may be wrong, but I heard long ago that the charge rate of the charger should be 1/10th of the battery charge (or something like that) or you will fry the battery.
    For example a 140 amp battery, the max charge rate should be 14amps.

Motorcycle batteries are much lower in power. One of my bikes has a 12 amp battery, the other has a 14amp. So 1.2 or 1.4 amps would be the maximum needed for those. My bike charger/tender is a 1 amp, so it does either one, and has done for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Says there on the front that it’s for 30-200 ah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

b6se54.jpg

Do you have the nuclear launch codes too??:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats too big a charger for a bike battery, 10% of the battery rating is the max or you can boil the battery and distort the plates.
    Most bike chargers are around 4Ah Max.
    I wouldn't use it tbh.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Thats too big a charger for a bike battery, 10% of the battery rating is the max or you can boil the battery and distort the plates.
    Most bike chargers are around 4Ah Max.
    I wouldn't use it tbh.

Yeah,it is for car batteries.
    A mod moved this from car thread to here.
    (And added motorcycle charger to title :rolleyes:)
    I was fairly sure it was too big for bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lidl do a charger for 20 euro which is suitable for any car or bike battery. They have it in a few times a year and the last time was a week or two ago, there might still be some floating around.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Lidl do a charger for 20 euro which is suitable for any car or bike battery. They have it in a few times a year and the last time was a week or two ago, there might still be some floating around.

Yeah,I have one and also an oximiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I bought one as well, I now have an original Optimate, must be close to 20 years old now, Louis XL charger which is a hybrid Transformer/smart charger and One of the Lidl Ultimate speed chargers which actually does a pretty reasonable job for only 20 euro.
    Louis have a couple of smart chargers on sale atm, H-tronic for €19.95 and their own brand Procharger with a decent fixed lead with a waterproof plug and fuse built in for 49.95 which is IMO a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

do NOT put that on a bike battery. Max amperage on a battery is 1/10th it's capacity, so anything from 800mA - 1200mA covers most bikes.

That charger will fry a bike battery, and quickly.

LIDL have bike specific ones atmo for €19.99. Work well, I have them a few years.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Battery Tender multi charger for 40 euro.
    Charges lithium and normal gel batteries.
    Keeps them on safe charge too.
    Can be got in Franklin Motorcycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,612 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

A useful thing if you're stuck with a car charger that's going to pump too much current into a bike battery is this...
    Put a 55/60W headlamp bulb in the positive lead in series with the battery. Just one filament - it will limit the current flowing to ~ 0.5A and charge up your bike battery without cooking it.
    You know those old headlamp bulbs you took out and threw away? You should have kept one :)
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Advertisement