Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect printer to wifi

Options
  • 17-02-2018 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I'm getting error, pressed wps button, tried everything that I could. Getting this error, "the network channel assigned to your wifi network is not supported by the printer"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

I had a big learning curve with this stuff recently and could maybe be some help, but it would take too long without knowing more about your setup (router, printer, what device trying to print from, whether it’s worked before, etc).  (The Eir reps might also need to know).

I’d guess you chose this forum because you have an Eir router?  Is it using WEP security?  (I’ve never used that, but explored it when trying to get my printer to reconnect, and found channel 9 seems to be the usual one).  If the router’s using WAP/WAP2 security (where you enter the wifi passphrase on first connecting to it), you need to start from scratch and choose that type of wifi setup in the printer.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BPH

Hi, yes Eir router with WAP/WAP2 security. I tried to change firewall settings to allow printer access through firewall after, not exactly sure what the correct settings are on that.
    Fogmatic wrote: »
    I had a big learning curve with this stuff recently and could maybe be some help, but it would take too long without knowing more about your setup (router, printer, what device trying to print from, whether it’s worked before, etc).  (The Eir reps might also need to know).

I’d guess you chose this forum because you have an Eir router?  Is it using WEP security?  (I’ve never used that, but explored it when trying to get my printer to reconnect, and found channel 9 seems to be the usual one).  If the router’s using WAP/WAP2 security (where you enter the wifi passphrase on first connecting to it), you need to start from scratch and choose that type of wifi setup in the printer.

My problem was re-connecting the wifi printer after a new modem-router (probably similar to yours) was installed between my own router and the internet (instead if a simple modem).  In the end, I had to remove my own router from the system, leaving just the new modem router.  It had never heard of the printer, but I didn't have to do any settings in it.  The only settings needed were in the printer (clear the old wifi settings and do a new wifi setup).  It detected the network concerned, asked me to enter the wifi passphrase/key/whatever it called it, and it connected first time (and remembered the passkey & connected automatically from then on).

This was for printing from a smartphone, but I remember it was also really simple getting the same printer connected wirelessly to my desktop & notebook computers, years ago, via my old router's wifi network (no cable needed to set up the printer - it and the computer only needed to be told what the passkey was, no router settings needed).

I don't know what settings, if any, ISPs do in the routers they supply, but it might be best not to change any more router settings anyway, until an Eir rep can advise.

P.s.   Neither of my router firewalls was any obstacle to printing, even with 2 of them operating; it's incoming internet stuff that they monitor).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

BPH wrote: »
    I'm getting error, pressed wps button, tried everything that I could. Getting this error, "the network channel assigned to your wifi network is not supported by the printer"
    Hi BPH, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us. 

I'm afraid we would be unaware of this from here however if you contact our support team on 1890 260 260, they'll be able to assist you with this. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

OP I get that error too, but the printer works fine :)

srsly78 wrote: »
    OP I get that error too, but the printer works fine :)
    I've seen that error too, when trying out printer settings (and forgetting what WEP is).  That was because I use WAP2 security and never set it up for WEP.

Yeah I get it on an old printer, using it with modern router. 

WPS setup would not work for me either, had to do it via tedious usb type-c cable.

Op, read the manual for your printer. It will probably tell you to connect with a type-c usb cable and run setup program. This is your only option, WPS option is lousy on old printers.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Op, read the manual for your printer. It will probably tell you to connect with a type-c usb cable and run setup program. This is your only option, WPS option is lousy on old printers.
    My printer's (Canon MP640) is several years old but doesn't feel it to me -it's relative I suppose! It caters for both WEP and WAP/WAP2 security (probably for none too, and maybe some other kind I can't remember!).

• Advertisement
Advertisement