Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Kefir from shop bought LifeWay drink?

Options
  • 17-02-2018 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Probably a very stupid question but here goes anyways...

I have a LifeWay brand of Kefir drink here, can I use this drink to kick start my own Kefir making process? Would it be "live" ?

It states its made with pasteurized milk, but I understand you can "feed" kefir with pasteurized milk.

So could I use this to try and start fermenting some of my own Kefir, or is this a non runner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Kefir isn't like yoghurt which you can use as a starter to make more yoghurt.
    You need Kefir grains to turn milk into Kefir.
    I bought mine online and they have been going strong for ages now. Other sources are gumtree, Freecycle and so on. Where about are you based. Maybe I or somebody else can help you out with some grains (they multiply!)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kefir isn't like yoghurt which you can use as a starter to make more yoghurt.
    You need Kefir grains to turn milk into Kefir.
    I read this too, but found a few sites saying it can work. e.g. https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/milk-kefir/make-kefir-from-prepared-kefir/

I got some, not sure of the brand, not lifeway anyway it was Polish. It did ferment well. If you grow this stuff it is unlikely to produce grains.

I imagine it could be frozen to grow again later. I do this with yogurt, get a commercial one and grow out some and freeze them into ice cubes so you are only 1 step away from the original.

I then got actual kefir grains free on adverts. Kefir is very easy to grow as no heat is needed. It is more of an acquired taste than yogurt, and it is slightly alcoholic.

The original commercial one I got tasted differently, distinct from yogurt though. I think some reckon some of the commercial ones are more more like yogurt and not "real" kefir.

Advertisement