Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College project advice much appreciated.

Options
  • 17-02-2018 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

HI guys,

We are currently doing a project in DIT within our auctioneering degree. We are looking at the library for the project and we are trying to get some information on the library in terms of design/building materials used in it's construction. We contacted Gilroymcmahon (who designed the modern extension 20 years ago however due to a relocation they currently cannot provide us with any information/drawings.

We are specifically looking at heat loss in relation to the building regulations and have to discuss floors. For example, we would like to know what type of floor would commonly be used on a modern enough extension for the likes of a library. It sits on floor 3 of the building so we are specifically talking about this level and not ground floor.

We do not come from an architectural/engineering background and are in first year so we would not be able to guess what type floor is under the library. Would anyone from a construction background have any idea what type of floor construction would be used at this location. Here are links to images of the extension.

http://www.gilroymcmahon.com/educational/projects/bolton.htm
    http://www.irisharchitectureawards.ie/gold-medal/winner-gallery/dit-bolton-street-extension

If not specifically about this building I would appreciate any information in general when it comes to typical floor types used in non residential construction. Absolute newbie at this and do not have a clue what type of floor to research.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Hi OP.

Think about what causes heat loss in a building ...

If it was a really hot day would you expect to lose heat through your windows or walls?

What if the temperature outside was exactly the same as inside? Would you lose heat?

Now think about the third floor of a library - what temperature would you expect the second floor of the same library to be at?

If you work your way through those questions it might lead you to an interesting conclusion regarding what you need to know about internal floors when thinking specifically about heat LOSS during day to day use.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭pj12332

Hi OP.

Think about what causes heat loss in a building ...

If it was a really hot day would you expect to lose heat through your windows or walls?

What if the temperature outside was exactly the same as inside? Would you lose heat?

Now think about the third floor of a library - what temperature would you expect the second floor of the same library to be at?

If you work your way through those questions it might lead you to an interesting conclusion regarding what you need to know about internal floors when thinking specifically about heat LOSS during day to day use.

Thank you for your reply. However we have not began to consider the heat loss as of yet. Before we get onto that we need to find out what type of floor was used in the construction of the extension. As we do not come from construction backgrounds we are not sure of the type of floor that would be common in a building extension such as this. That is the question I am actually looking to get information on. We are going to look through the building regs to see what type of standards there are in relation to heat loss. But before we do that we need to get information on the likely structure of the floor itself if you get me?

thanks for your reply

To be more clear, we are looking for advice on what are typical types of internal floor construction methods in non residential buildings such as this one. We are trying to figure out what type of floor construction most likely exists within this structure and then we will research that type of floor in detail to see what type of design details could help with regards to prevention of heat loss.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

So to sum up

Majority of non-domestic floors in Ireland are Concrete

More insulation and air-tightness will reduce heat loss.

BryanF wrote: »
    So to sum up

Majority of non-domestic floors in Ireland are Concrete

More insulation and air-tightness will reduce heat loss.

So I'm just looking up an internal concrete floor? Lots if things I'm reading seem to be reinforced concrete floors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Read my post again OP.

If your project is about heat loss from a single floor that is not the ground floor you do not need to know what it is made of.

Anyway - it is made of concrete - but as I said even if it was made of fried eggs and jelly your heat loss analysis would be unaffected. Think about the questions I asked you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106176789

thread closed, see link to same discussion in appropriate forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement