Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to wire this cable to cat6

Options
  • 17-02-2018 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,094 ✭✭✭✭

I had an ethernet cable run to a garden office. I needed to take the jack end off to put a plug on as I wanted to fit a ubiquiti in wall AP

However when I snipped the end of it off it looks like the cables aren’t in twisted pairs and the white ones are just plain white with no other colour (there is also a spare grey and a spare white cable)

How can I know which white corresponds with which other colour ?

It works so there must be a way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,094 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Cyrus wrote: »
    I had an ethernet cable run to a garden office. I needed to take the jack end off to put a plug on as I wanted to fit a ubiquiti in wall AP

However when I snipped the end of it off it looks like the cables aren’t in twisted pairs and the white ones are just plain white with no other colour (there is also a spare grey and a spare white cable)

How can I know which white corresponds with which other colour ?

It works so there must be a way

Pic attached

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Get a multimeter and run a continuity test on on each wire to the end with the plug and you should find what order the wires are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Not Ethernet cable. 5 Pair External Telephone Cable Black
    Ethernet cable is 4(four) TWISTED pairs, not 5 as yours.

Not Ethernet cable. 5 Pair External Telephone Cable Black
    Ethernet cable is 4(four) TWISTED pairs, not 5 as yours.

That’s what I suspected

It works tho or at least it did !

FanadMan wrote: »
    Get a multimeter and run a continuity test on on each wire to the end with the plug and you should find what order the wires are in.

Sorry that sounds good but what do I need and how do I do that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

That’s what I suspected

Read second link or google why pairs are twisted

Where technically it will work , crosstalk will kill your network.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That’s what I suspected

At 100Mb or less though most likely.

Sparks are always doing things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Winston Spencer

I'd say the fitter just used pins 1 2 3 and 6. Have a close look at the RJ 45 ( the internet plug)at the other end

ED E wrote: »
    At 100Mb or less though most likely.

Sparks are always doing things like that.

That’s annoying whole house is wired cat6 and he sends a phone cable out to the office

Fml

Only an issue recently as only had 4g internet til last week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

That’s annoying whole house is wired cat6 and he sends a phone cable out to the office

Fml

Did you check the rest of the cabling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

They are in pairs it’s just they don’t be twisted very tight together and it can be difficult to tell generally you will have one white with each main colour blue orange green brown and grey.

Fml

Did you check the rest of the cabling?

Yes rest is fine this was a job we had done later on seperate to the house build

salmocab wrote: »
    They are in pairs it’s just they don’t be twisted very tight together and it can be difficult to tell generally you will have one white with each main colour blue orange green brown and grey.

I have no rewired it as a Jack and it works fine albeit maxed at 100mb presume I have accidentally put the pairs in the correct order

If I now wire a plug using the same config it should work right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd be getting the electrician back to do the job properly myself.

Yes will be getting him back to put the proper cable in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Alun wrote: »
    I'd be getting the electrician back to do the job properly myself.

This is the correct answer. That cable may have "worked", but you've no assurance that a change in equipment or other environmental changes won't cause problems.

Failing that, I'd terminate it to a punchdown wall keystone and use a network tester that shows each pin to see if I got lucky, if not it's easy enough to swap them around. Inspect the other end, if your sparks thought cable that would suffice for network, he probably didn't follow the 568b standard which the keystone would be marked for.

When done you can pop it in a wallplate and plug your equipment in with a premade cable.

Advertisement