Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best bank to deal with in Ireland?

Options
  • 17-02-2018 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

I'm making the move from BOI to another bank and I'd like some feedback as to which bank you would recommend.

I'm moving from BOI because they recently charged me 66.50e to have a bank statement sent to me!

I'm currently on Disability Allowance but I'm hoping to return to work in the next year. Basically I'm looking for a bank with no hidden fees and free fees where possible, as well as a bank that provides compassionate, not corporate, customer service...

Any advice?

Which bank provides the best service in Ireland? 43 votes

Bank of Ireland
    0% 0 votes
    Allied Irish Bank
    13% 6 votes
    Ulster Bank
    18% 8 votes
    EBS
    23% 10 votes
    KBC
    9% 4 votes
    Permanent TSB
    13% 6 votes
    N26
    20% 9 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

faber11 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm making the move from BOI to another bank and I'd like some feedback as to which bank you would recommend.

I'm moving from BOI because they recently charged me 66.50e to have a bank statement sent to me!

I'm currently on Disability Allowance but I'm hoping to return to work in the next year. Basically I'm looking for a bank with no hidden fees and free fees where possible, as well as a bank that provides compassionate, not corporate, customer service...

Any advice?

EBS would fit your bill nicely, a money manager account would be what you'd need. BOI are a bunch of theiving shysters, cost me over €100 in bank fees during a Holiday to Thailand five years ago so when I came back I closed everything I had with them. They put a €100 limit on my cards for "security purposes" when it was so they could rip me off in different fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

I moved from Bank of Ireland to Ptsb because of fees two years ago. No fees if certain amount lodged each month. Find them the same as BOI in branch, in that they push automated machines instead of cashiers. Found BOI better for online transactions and time it takes to clear cheques, transfer etc. If they weren’t such robbers with the fees would have happily stayed with BOI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

We moved from boi to kbc two years ago. Fees were getting farcical
    I have a number for the kbc swords branch, Which boi did away with.

I was with boi for 20+ years, told them i was closing the account, they couldn't care less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Pete Tong

NOT PTSB anyway! - You'd be better using a plastic carrier bag to put your money than PTSB. or a Nigerian prince.

Without warning, they permanently closed my business account. A month later and I'm still messing about with standing orders and direct debits.

So anyone but PTSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Delta2113

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 faber11

Thanks all...I'm thinking of going with KBC, I've heard good reviews, the staff in the branch are pleasant to deal with and the fees are minimal. Peatys, are you happy with KBC?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FennickFox

Pete Tong wrote: »
    NOT PTSB anyway! - You'd be better using a plastic carrier bag to put your money than PTSB. or a Nigerian prince.

Without warning, they permanently closed my business account. A month later and I'm still messing about with standing orders and direct debits.

So anyone but PTSB.

Did they not contact anyone in your business to let you know something was up?

I recommend AIB. Helpful service, the app is brilliant and while the fees can be steep if you have a certain amount in your account they waive them - and theres never contactless fees

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I have an account with kbc and they seem good so far. app is handy.
    no fees if you lodge a certain amount per month plus you get a higher savings interest %

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Yeah, my wife changed over aswell. No complaints. We're happy.

The only thing is if you have to lodge cheques, it seems to take 10 working days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Delta2113 wrote: »

Lol - No brainer indeed. No app and no contactless. Might as well just give it to the mother to mind under her mattress for the service you sign up to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Recently moved from BOI to AIB. Was with BOI for 8 years since teens first bank I was with but had a few issues with them messing up and their fees are strong. Find AIB much better and easy to deal with. AIB apps and online banking is very good also which is important IMO.

Advertisement