Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for 4k video editing rig using Edius 9

Options
  • 17-02-2018 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

I am looking to upgrade to allow me to do 4k video editing with Grass Valley Edius 9 editing suite. What I need is a new CPU, motherboard, RAM and graphics card. I have the rest from an older PC.

I was looking at he following and it all seems fine, except the MB gets some bad reviews:

MB: Asus prime X299-a
    CPU: i7-820x
    RAM 32gb of Corsair VENGENCE 2133 mhz DDR4
    Graphics: 8gb Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080

I've picked LGA 2066 which seems to be making the whole thing very expensive. Would I get away with a cheaper LGA 1150 build?

if I did stick with LGA 2066, should I be concerned about the motherboard I picked?

Finally, if I decided I could do without 4k initially (still editing HD), could I use an existing "MSI R9 270 GAMING 2G, AMD Radeon R9 270, 2GB DDR5" with the LG 2066 MB (can't see why not as it's PCIe, but just checking to be sure). If this worked, I might hold off and get the new graphics card later in the year to add to the new build.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

In case anyone is interested or comes across this searching for something similar, I decided to go for this in the end:

GIGABYTE X299 AORUS
    Intel® Core™ i7-7820X Processor
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz
    ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 240, High Performance CPU Water Cooler

Will add another 16gb of RAM later along with a new graphics card to replace my "MSI R9 270 GAMING 2G, AMD Radeon R9 270, 2GB DDR5" at a latre stage. The above is about all I can afford right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Was there a particular reason you chose that platform? That is outrageously expensive - fair enough if you've full use for all the features of the chipset, into heavy overclocking, and will be heavily editing/crunching 24/7, running multiple high end graphics cards, etc.

But you could have done it for a fraction of the price, from a raw performance POV, by going with a Ryzen 1700/1800 setup, or even an Intel 8600K or 8700K Coffee Lake on S1151.

An 8 core, 16 thread Ryzen 1700X, motherboard and 16GB ram setup would be the same price as that Intel CPU alone - £500. Or an Intel 6 core, 12 thread i7-8700K, motherboard and 16GB ram wouldn't be far off either. Both would be excellent for video editing.

Was there a particular reason you chose that platform? That is outrageously expensive - fair enough if you've full use for all the features of the chipset, into heavy overclocking, and will be heavily editing/crunching 24/7, running multiple high end graphics cards, etc.

But you could have done it for a fraction of the price, from a raw performance POV, by going with a Ryzen 1700/1800 setup, or even an Intel 8600K or 8700K Coffee Lake on S1151.

An 8 core, 16 thread Ryzen 1700X, motherboard and 16GB ram setup would be the same price as that Intel CPU alone - £500. Or an Intel 6 core, 12 thread i7-8700K, motherboard and 16GB ram wouldn't be far off either. Both would be excellent for video editing.

Thanks. I just cancelled the order as I must admit, I was feeling a bit sick at the cost of it and if there are alternatives, I definitely want to consider them!

Do you have any recommendations for the 8 core, 16 thread Ryzen 1700X, motherboard and 16GB ram setup. One thing I do need though is a motherboard that supports at least two PCIe with x16 slots. I have a video preview card that needs the second slot.

Thanks again.

I wouldn't be really the best to recommend a specific motherboard to be honest. I wasn't outright ruling out the X299 setup, but just from your post I get the impression it's not needed nor would it really be appreciated!

What you are looking for, though, is an X370 motherboard. You will get a good solid one for £130-160.

You don't need both PCI-E lanes running at full 16x surely? EG many boards will do 16/4, 8/8, or 16/8 or whatever. I think the difference between too high end £1000 GPU's running at 8/8 v 16/16 is pretty minimal for example so for your setup I don't think it'd be any concern.

I think personally even a 16/4x board would be perfectly fine, you can get a board like that on X370 with two physical 16x lanes for about £120+.

And don't forget the Intel option either, i7-8700K, Z370 motherboard option. Less cores than the AMD 1700X but decently stronger at other certain things, so it very much depends on the programmes and applications being used. Intel is broadly better at gaming and has better 'per core' performance.

Or the cheaper 8600K is also six core and still an excellent CPU, not too far behind if you want to save more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

That Edius stuff says it's "Optimized for Intel Core i architecture" (and can also use it's quick sync) so _might_ be best sticking to Intel in this case.
    https://www.grassvalley.com/products/edius_pro_9/

Thanks everyone for the invaluable feedback and for getting me to take another look at this.

It seems that the i7-8700K Processor is much better suited for video editing and encoding as Edius uses Quick Sync, something that is not available in the more expensive i7-7820X I was considering. People in the Edius forum reckon the i7-8700K is at least as good as i7-7820X for video editing.

The result is a much less expensive build, meaning I can now afford the full 32gb of RAM and still spend less than before.

GIGABYTE Intel 1151 Z370 Aorus Ultra Gam D4
    i7-8700K Processor
    Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz
    ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 240 Water Cooler

Thanks

Great, glad to help! But good god, RAM prices have gone beyond a joke. It's not that long ago I paid £80 for 16GB DDR4 2400mhz. €400 for 32GB ram....there was a time that cost €150 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the invaluable feedback and for getting me to take another look at this.

It seems that the i7-8700K Processor is much better suited for video editing and encoding as Edius uses Quick Sync, something that is not available in the more expensive i7-7820X I was considering. People in the Edius forum reckon the i7-8700K is at least as good as i7-7820X for video editing.

The result is a much less expensive build, meaning I can now afford the full 32gb of RAM and still spend less than before.

GIGABYTE Intel 1151 Z370 Aorus Ultra Gam D4
    i7-8700K Processor
    Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz
    ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 240 Water Cooler

Thanks
    You might want to look into Intel Optane on top of that; it's an SSD-type kit that boosts 4kb write/read throughput at relatively low cost.

OSI wrote: »
    Just to be 100% clear, you're aware that motherboard only has a single 16x PCI-E slot, yeah?

It has two physical 16x lanes. You won't get 16/16x with two cards installed but I doubt that'll make a shred of difference in this case considering the bandwidth of 3.0.

• Advertisement

It has two physical 16x lanes. You won't get 16/16x with two cards installed but I doubt that'll make a shred of difference in this case considering the bandwidth of 3.0.

Correct. It seems I don't need the full 16x on both cards. If I read the mb spec correctly, I'll have the full 16x in slot 1 and 4x in the third 16x slot, which is all I'll actually need.

Many thanks.

Advertisement