Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Business casual dress code

• 17-02-2018 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm starting at a new job in a few weeks time. I have been informed that the dress code is business casual. I have never worked at an organisation that employs this dress code in the past, and when I've looked this up online I've got mixed answers. I have even read that it means no jeans and no suit pants which makes me wonder if I have anything in my wardrobe outside of those options.

Are jeans a complete no-go? How about black, charcoal or grey skinny jeans? I have three or four oxford shirts but I can't see them going with slacks or anything like that. How should I approach this dress code and could anyone provide recommendations for where to shop for men?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Hi all,

I'm starting at a new job in a few weeks time. I have been informed that the dress code is business casual. I have never worked at an organisation that employs this dress code in the past, and when I've looked this up online I've got mixed answers. I have even read that it means no jeans and no suit pants which makes me wonder if I have anything in my wardrobe outside of those options.

Are jeans a complete no-go? How about black, charcoal or grey skinny jeans? I have three or four oxford shirts but I can't see them going with slacks or anything like that. How should I approach this dress code and could anyone provide recommendations for where to shop for men?

I wouldn't do jeans for business casual. At least not until you suss the place out.

Chinos, Oxford shirt and fine knit jumper would be a safe bet to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Business casual =
    NO jeans
    No ties
    Shoes (not runners)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

business casual just means you have to dress less stupid but still not normal. Don't get me started on the ridiculousness of a tie.
    sorry, not helpful bit of a pet peeve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Depends on the company, mine is business casual but jeans, runner, polo shirts, hoodies are all normal.
    First few days, slacks, shirt and plain shoes, that what everyone wares at the start and then ware what everyone else wares when you get a look around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Generally means shirt and slacks (no tie needed)
    Jeans, runners, t-shirt etc are a no go

But as Snotty above, dress to impress then go with the flow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Business casual for me would still mean no jeans, no trainers and you would still need to be smart enough to go to a meeting with client if needed. Granted I work in professional services which requires a high standard of dress.

Once you have the lay of the land, you can see if jeans or other items are acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Thanks to everyone that replied. It seems that the best course of action may be to aim towards the higher end of the scale in terms of business dress vs casual dress initially. Hopefully then it is the case that jeans are permitted, otherwise I'm going to be absolutely broke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

For guys I'd recommend slim chinos, perhaps knit polos, Oxford shirts and a blazer. Your blazer will be your key piece to make sure you stay on the "business" side of business casual. TBH I guy in a pair of dark slim jeans with an Oxford shirt and a blazer will look more professional than a guy in an ill-fitting suit 99% of the time.

My workplace dress code is business casual, and I wear jeans and shirts/knitwear on the days I know I won't be in any meetings. But if I'm meeting anyone I'll wear chinos or wool dress trouser.

Depending on your area you could get away with slim white trainers like leather converse but they need to be all white, leather and CLEAN. No "runners". Your best bet is probably something like a desert boot from clarks, or a brown brogue.

If you can wear jeans (usually in more creative or academic environments) you'l need to wear dark, slim, plain jeans. No fading, no rips, no embellishments.

There's a great website called Primer Magazine which, although American, has a lot of tips for this kind of thing that you can adapt to an Irish context. They do a whole section called "Getups" which go through various scenarios. The series link is here, and a good post on business casual is here.

For guys I'd recommend slim chinos, perhaps knit polos, Oxford shirts and a blazer. Your blazer will be your key piece to make sure you stay on the "business" side of business casual. TBH I guy in a pair of dark slim jeans with an Oxford shirt and a blazer will look more professional than a guy in an ill-fitting suit 99% of the time.

My workplace dress code is business casual, and I wear jeans and shirts/knitwear on the days I know I won't be in any meetings. But if I'm meeting anyone I'll wear chinos or wool dress trouser.

Depending on your area you could get away with slim white trainers like leather converse but they need to be all white, leather and CLEAN. No "runners". Your best bet is probably something like a desert boot from clarks, or a brown brogue.

If you can wear jeans (usually in more creative or academic environments) you'l need to wear dark, slim, plain jeans. No fading, no rips, no embellishments.

There's a great website called Primer Magazine which, although American, has a lot of tips for this kind of thing that you can adapt to an Irish context. They do a whole section called "Getups" which go through various scenarios. The series link is here, and a good post on business casual is here.

Thanks very much for the detailed response. I have looked at the resources you linked and I think I am beginning to get a picture of what will be necessary! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that jeans will be permitted and I won't have to spend a fortune, but I suppose it is going to be a case of wait and see.

Thanks very much for the detailed response. I have looked at the resources you linked and I think I am beginning to get a picture of what will be necessary! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that jeans will be permitted and I won't have to spend a fortune, but I suppose it is going to be a case of wait and see.

Can you not afford a pair of slacks from Pennys or Dunnes for around 15 euro?

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Can you not afford a pair of slacks from Pennys or Dunnes for around 15 euro?

Of course I can, it's just that I don't want to be that guy that is wearing the same clothes to work everyday like a school uniform. I have jeans in all sorts of washes, but I've never been the biggest fan of chinos/slacks tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Good luck in your new job btw👍🙂.

Business dress really does not encompass jeans (bar casual Friday if they have it) - could be making a bad impression on day one when you go in and everyone else is dressed the opposite of you

Of course I can, it's just that I don't want to be that guy that is wearing the same clothes to work everyday like a school uniform. I have jeans in all sorts of washes, but I've never been the biggest fan of chinos/slacks tbh.

I get you OP. I would say the types of chinos you can get now in the likes of penneys/river island are cut much more like jeans, honestly I used to be like you and now I hardly ever wear jenas because they aren't as comfortable. You'd be surprised, chinos now aren't what chinos 5 or 10 years ago were!

Jeans are acceptable in certain business casual environments, if you work in a creative/academic/not-for-profit type of sector. But for your first week or two, err on the side of caution and pick up a pair or two of slim chinos in pennys (much nicer and more modern cuts thandunnes tbh) and then after you suss the place out you can see about wearing jeans.

There is something to be said for having a bit of a "work wardrobe" to differentiate from what you wear socially/at weekends. It kind of helps separate the two bits of your life, if you like that. Not saying you have 3 trousers and 3 jumpers and 5 shirts you wear week in week out in the same configuration, but having a "slim dress slacks/chinos/shirt/polo" with a nice blazer in a few different combos means dressing for work is easy, and if you make sure all your work stuff goes with each other it makes getting ready in the morning way, way easier.

Best of luck in the new job anyway OP. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Honestly I'd have to say that jeans are never actually business casual. They're smart casual. Which is more casual than business casual.

Good luck in your new job btw👍🙂.

Thanks very much, I am looking forward to getting these doubts out of the way!

Business dress really does not encompass jeans (bar casual Friday if they have it) - could be making a bad impression on day one when you go in and everyone else is dressed the opposite of you

It would be a gamble for sure and you make a good point. I will definitely play it safe early doors and keep a close eye on what everyone else is wearing.

It would be a gamble for sure and you make a good point. I will definitely play it safe early doors and keep a close eye on what everyone else is wearing.

When do you start?

I get you OP. I would say the types of chinos you can get now in the likes of penneys/river island are cut much more like jeans, honestly I used to be like you and now I hardly ever wear jenas because they aren't as comfortable. You'd be surprised, chinos now aren't what chinos 5 or 10 years ago were!

Jeans are acceptable in certain business casual environments, if you work in a creative/academic/not-for-profit type of sector. But for your first week or two, err on the side of caution and pick up a pair or two of slim chinos in pennys (much nicer and more modern cuts thandunnes tbh) and then after you suss the place out you can see about wearing jeans.

There is something to be said for having a bit of a "work wardrobe" to differentiate from what you wear socially/at weekends. It kind of helps separate the two bits of your life, if you like that. Not saying you have 3 trousers and 3 jumpers and 5 shirts you wear week in week out in the same configuration, but having a "slim dress slacks/chinos/shirt/polo" with a nice blazer in a few different combos means dressing for work is easy, and if you make sure all your work stuff goes with each other it makes getting ready in the morning way, way easier.

Best of luck in the new job anyway OP. :)

Thanks very much for all your advice :) Today I picked up navy chinos in Dunnes and grey chinos in Penneys, so now it is going to be a case of seeing what Oxford shirts match colour-wise!

When do you start?

Fortunately, I still have about two weeks

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for all your advice :) Today I picked up navy chinos in Dunnes and grey chinos in Penneys, so now it is going to be a case of seeing what Oxford shirts match colour-wise!

light blue, white, maybe a pink will all work with grey and navy. :) I'm a BIG fan of knitted polo shirts with chinos/slacks myself, but I get they're not for everyone.

Brown shoes will work with both pairs of trousers and a bit more casual for the dress code than black.

light blue, white, maybe a pink will all work with grey and navy. :) I'm a BIG fan of knitted polo shirts with chinos/slacks myself, but I get they're not for everyone.

Brown shoes will work with both pairs of trousers and a bit more casual for the dress code than black.

It's all starting to come together - I have a few Oxford shirts from before and bought another two this afternoon. The one thing I have been wondering is would it be complete madness to wear an Oxford shirt and suit pants together? :o I have been a hoodie and jeans kind of person my entire life, so my wardrobe and fashion knowledge is getting pushed past my limits. Having said that I should definitely make it through the first few days now I reckon.

The one thing I have been wondering is would it be complete madness to wear an Oxford shirt and suit pants together?

Not at all

Not at all

Well that's positive, I think I should be in fairly good stead in that case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

You don't really need a blazer for business casual.

My place is BC and I usually just wear slacks, shirt (Oxford or dress) and shoes but a lot of colleagues wear stuff at the more casual end of the spectrum like chinos, polo shirts and so on.

The only stuff that's explicitly forbidden in our place is trainers, t-shirts and jeans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I would actually treat it like a seperate wardrobe, find at style and then just vary it. It's not a fashion show, it's not like going to the pub with your mates, you nearly don't want to stand out at all. You just need to be smart.

So dark trousers (don't have to be cotton chinos - you could get a nice pair of wool trousers), casual shoes or boots, white or light blue shirt, and a cashmere or wool jumper in navy or dark grey. You could also try a fitted turtle neck.

In the summer you can switch to shirts with open collar, or even smart polo t-shirts.

If you have a casual Friday, this isn't the time to rock in with your tattered Nirvana t shirt and baggy jeans. You are still in work, so you should have work appropriate things to wear. Perhaps slim / straight jeans with a knitted jumper but with no shirt, like this:
    SW865_1.jpg

Or a long sleeve buttoned t shirt:

SW773_1.jpg

I would actually treat it like a seperate wardrobe, find at style and then just vary it. It's not a fashion show, it's not like going to the pub with your mates, you nearly don't want to stand out at all. You just need to be smart.

So dark trousers (don't have to be cotton chinos - you could get a nice pair of wool trousers), casual shoes or boots, white or light blue shirt, and a cashmere or wool jumper in navy or dark grey. You could also try a fitted turtle neck.

In the summer you can switch to shirts with open collar, or even smart polo t-shirts.

If you have a casual Friday, this isn't the time to rock in with your tattered Nirvana t shirt and baggy jeans. You are still in work, so you should have work appropriate things to wear. Perhaps slim / straight jeans with a knitted jumper but with no shirt, like this:
    SW865_1.jpg

Or a long sleeve buttoned t shirt:

SW773_1.jpg

Thanks very much for this detailed reply :)

I have bought quite a few items of clothing at this stage, but the one thing I feel I am lacking is dress shirts. I have tried a few on at the likes of Burton and Dunnes, but tbh I felt that the fit was poor. Does anyone know a good place to buy dress shirts for say €25 and under that have a good fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

dress shirts for say €25 and under that have a good fit?

There's your problem. You won't get a decent fitting shirt for that kind of money.

Try TM Lewin, you'll pay around 40 a shirt but they have deals when you buy 5 and you could save money that way. They've a good range of slim and tailored fitting shirts, both dress and more casual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement