Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lydiard Hill Phase- Yah or Nah?

• 17-02-2018 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Looking for experience, thoughts and information on the Lydiard Hill phase. I'm contemplating following a 24 week Lydiard methodology for my next marathon. Plan to go full hog on all phases from aerobic conditioning to integration and everything in between but I have read a lot of objectional views and contrasting opinions on the hill phase from watering it down to leaving it out. Some say 4 days a week; others say 2 days a week etc.

I know the phase is important for transitioning but is it something that can/should be watered down or is best to do the phase as Lydiard originally suggested? Information on the circuits and drills involved would be appreciated as well if any one knows.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Safiri wrote: »
    Looking for experience, thoughts and information on the Lydiard Hill phase. I'm contemplating following a 24 week Lydiard methodology for my next marathon. Plan to go full hog on all phases from aerobic conditioning to integration and everything in between but I have read a lot of objectional views and contrasting opinions on the hill phase from watering it down to leaving it out. Some say 4 days a week; others say 2 days a week etc.

I know the phase is important for transitioning but is it something that can/should be watered down or is best to do the phase as Lydiard originally suggested? Information on the circuits and drills involved would be appreciated as well if any one knows.

What’s your marathon history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Murph_D wrote: »
    What’s your marathon history?

Experienced but it the level of experience in the marathon would not have any great significance in the structure of this system. The first two phases of aerobic conditioning and hill circuits are identical whether training for the marathon or mile; First 14-16 weeks are the same for any distance. Not looking for specific advice for my situation; looking for information and experience on the merits of this phase and what is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Can't give you any advice on the hill phase but I don't think it's a great idea putting a timeline on the first phase. Everyone adapts differently to the first phase so to do it right you would want to give it time and that might be longer (or shorter, but mostly longer) than you think.

Best of luck with it. I think it's a great methodology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Can't give you any advice on the hill phase but I don't think it's a great idea putting a timeline on the first phase. Everyone adapts differently to the first phase so to do it right you would want to give it time and that might be longer (or shorter, but mostly longer) than you think.

Best of luck with it. I think it's a great methodology.

Thanks Duke. I hear you and agree but I'm looking for the peak in this marathon so I feel I have to put an end date on the aerobic phase to time a peak going by the Lydiard approach of working back from raceday which eats into the time I can spend in the conditioning phase. By the end of this cycle; I will have been building up to this for 15 months and spent 9 months building a purely aerobic foundation to tackle this so I want the peak this time after sacrificing one for a year and a quarter as that is the limit of my patience.

Advertisement