Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traveller: Life in the Marches - A ship of our own

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Necrominus wrote: »
    Bakleth points at Dhinor and then RJ.

'Two captains. Bakleth confused. Maybe Bakleth take Seneca's place in pod and sleep? We go on mission to volcano. Bakleth think captains want Bakleth to swim in volcano. Bakleth think volcano too hot for swimming.'

"Life is too short for cryogenic slumber, believe me Bakleth. You are very wise to be wary of volcanos and nobody will be forcing my friend to swim in lava. Why are you so loyal to your captains?"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Bakleth shrugs.

'Bakleth lonely since exile. Follow orders. Stay with people. Bakleth okay with that.'

"Okay Bakleth. I'm very much in the same boat as you." Seneca studies the creature giving orders. He notes that he seems hurried and wonders why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Evan takes a good look at Seneca.
    "No.1, what's your story? Why did you go for the big chill? Prison sentence? Boneitis? Love? And why aren't we in the air? If you can't make things so, I'll find someone who can. DHINOR! You beautiful lazy prick! Don't make me get that hot digger to drag us to Salbarii. Punch the button!"

Banjo wrote: »
    Evan takes a good look at Seneca.
    "No.1, what's your story? Why did you go for the big chill? Prison sentence? Boneitis? Love? And why aren't we in the air? If you can't make things so, I'll find someone who can. DHINOR! You beautiful lazy prick! Don't make me get that hot digger to drag us to Salbarii. Punch the button!"

Seneca smiles at Evan. "I'm afraid it will take me a little time to catch up on technology. My name is Seneca, Evan. Not No.1.

I don't actually know why I was put into the pod. It may have been a punishment or it may have been to save my life. Or I may be a messenger from the past. There is a coded diary amongst my personal items. When I have time I'll try to decode it. How may I help in my limited way?"

• Advertisement

"we haven't been introduced. Milton. Milton Keyeway" Evan puts out a hand to shake. "Call me Milt."

Ooc : look, it's a long, toblerone stained story but basically as a result of a throwaway remark or two at the start of the game, Evan is now a paranoid fantacist, compulsive liar, cannibal and timeshare mono-/homo-/industriosexual. Only one character on the crew has heard his real name and I'm not going to tell you who. Because then they all have to re-read the whole game to see if it was them. So I'm Ross-Juan / RJ to most of them, Milt to you, Saul to our NPC Vargr, and I think I've lost track of a couple of names. It's tiresome, I know. Lesson is - there *are* no throwaway remarks.

"If you don't want to be my no.1 you can take Bakleths old job in Security. Subdue that horseman, he's ****ing nuts!"

Ooc: Looks like you're paying dearly for a minor indiscretion! A paranoid, lying cannibal sounds like a good man to go for a pint with though.

"Good to meet you, Milt. I think I'll leave Bakleth be, he's fine as he is." Seneca goes over to his pod and gets his sawn off shotgun. He checks to see that it's loaded and puts it into the shoulder holster making sure that Milt sees. He wanders around the room idly checking various items and then approaches Milt. He takes out his shotgun.

Evan gestures with his shotgun which he, as you may remember, took out and prepped earlier before Bakleth broke his rib.
    "Nice piece. You want to be buried with it, or are you going to put it away?"

Ooc : you sure you wouldn't rather join us in Deadlands, one thread over? :)

"Or.... Look I'm not saying I'm *not* the captain, but what are your feelings on shotgun mutinies?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Verne reports to Dhinor once he arrives on the plane, noting Rj's bluster with humour. 'That's us all aboard captain, do you want me to pilot us to the crash site?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

OOC: Waiting on Nestor to clear Seneca to travel.

'if anyone wants or needs off this barge, now is the time. Verne, get her ready to lift off'

• Advertisement

Verne heads to the pilots chair and familiarises himself with the controls.
    [OOC: hopefully they're something that Verne can deal with or this is gonna be a short flight!]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭conor222

Alex moves through the ship making sure everything is fixed down that can be and that everything is ready for flight.

OOC: Think of a gruff cabincrew member making sure all the overhead bins are closed! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Glenn follows Verne to the cockpit... "I've got some Pilot skills myself if I can help at all?"

jasonb wrote: »
    Glenn follows Verne to the cockpit... "I've got some Pilot skills myself if I can help at all?"

'Fantastic! I could use a co-pilot to help with the navigation anyway. Strap in soldier!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Fourier wrote: »
    Medical scans detect he has a partially cracked rib.
    "Bind that up yourself. And stop teasing the horse."
    Seneca slowly sits up....
    Nestor starts a medscan on the waking Seneca. Looking OK, nothing fatal anyway.
    He checks to see that it's loaded and puts it into the shoulder holster making sure that Milt sees. He wanders around the room idly checking various items and then approaches Milt. He takes out his shotgun.
    NEstor steps up behind Seneca and places the cold round barrel end of her shotgun against the base of his skull.
    "No offence there mister but you really should leave the gun down till we know you better. Cryo-waking can be a bit disorienting and I don't want you to 'accidentally' shoot anyone. Now, put on this respirator/filter before the atmosphere takes it's toll on you. Then we'll try and find you a spare thermo suit before you freeze...again.

I ease back with the shotgun, just letting him know that he is in the company of triggerhappy and nervous spacepirates.

OOC: Also of note is that the respirator I handed him is decorated to look like Hannibal Lecters leather grill mask.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Dhinor turns away from the now resolved mexican standoff that took place beside the cryopod and turns to Verne and Glenn.

'Lets get this show on the road then. Set course for the survey site. Engage'

OOC: Literally couldnt resist, soznotsoz

Seneca smiles at Nestor. "Nice to meet you" he says as he slowly holsters his gun. "I hope nobody got the wrong impression. I was about to show Milt my antique." Seneca picks up the respirator and examines it carefully. He wonders why he would need it as he is breathing freely.

"Alex, did you see any spare thermo suits laying around the raft? If not I can give mine to the new guy. Cold don't bother me much."

Nestor then clears some space and lays out some of her rations to share with the newly awakened man.
    "Sit, eat, drink. Your body was supplied by the nutrient feed of the cryopod but that's not satisfying for the soul. I've got fruit, cheese, bread...a proper feast. Whats your story then, Senica was it? Been in sleep for long?"

OOC : BTW, I'm assuming Seneca isn't human, but we would have noticed by now as most of us have had a good, expressly stated gawp - can we get a description? (Or did I miss one?)

OldGoat wrote: »
    "Alex, did you see any spare thermo suits laying around the raft? If not I can give mine to the new guy. Cold don't bother me much."

Nestor then clears some space and lays out some of her rations to share with the newly awakened man.
    "Sit, eat, drink. Your body was supplied by the nutrient feed of the cryopod but that's not satisfying for the soul. I've got fruit, cheese, bread...a proper feast. Whats your story then, Senica was it? Been in sleep for long?"

Dhinor listens to the conversation without being too obvious thats what he is doing.

• Advertisement

Seneca eagerly eats the food. "Thank you. I don't actually remember but there is a coded diary in the pod with my name on it. I hope to decode it soon and hopefully that will fill in the blanks. What is your position in this crew?"

Ooc: I'm human and male. I'm not always certain what kind of creature everyone else is so please be patient!

Seneca eagerly eats the food. "Thank you. I don't actually remember but there is a coded diary in the pod with my name on it. I hope to decode it soon and hopefully that will fill in the blanks. What is your position in this crew?"

Ooc: I'm human and male. I'm not always certain what kind of creature everyone else is so please be patient!
    "I can try hacking the diary if you want. I'm Nestor, artist, medic, mostly human and captain of this crew. The horse over there is..."
    I go through the recent history of the gang, filling him in on who and what we are including that everyone apparently gets to be captain.

"...so, finally, we are heading to check the volcano for financial rewards."

ooc
    Char|Gender|Player|Race|Captain?
    Nestor | female | Old Goat |Ayanshi ("ghost" human, low body temp) | Yes
    Dhinor | male | Pter |Human (Vilani, or part Vilani?)| Yes
    Alex | male | Conor222 | Human | No
    Verne Nielson | male | Mollyb60 | Aslan (lionperson)| No
    Bakleth | male | Necro | K'Kree | No
    Evan/RJ/Nigel/Saul/Milt |male| Banjo | Human| Yes
    Glenn | male | Jasonb | droyne (psychic dragon dude)| No
    Seneca | male | ProfMoriarty | Human (possible pre-imperium?)|Not yet

ooc
    Char|Gender|Player|Race|Captain?
    Nestor | female | Old Goat |Ayanshi ("ghost" human, low body temp) | Yes
    Dhinor | male | Pter |Human (Vilani, or part Vilani?)| Yes
    Alex | male | Conor222 | Human | No
    Verne Nielson | male | Mollyb60 | Aslan (lionperson)| No
    Bakleth | male | Necro | K'Kree | No
    Evan/RJ/Nigel/Saul/Milt |male| Banjo | Human| Yes
    Glenn | male | Jasonb | droyne (psychic dragon dude)| No
    Seneca | male | ProfMoriarty | Human (possible pre-imperium?)|Not yet

OOC:

sausage-party-577eeaf3a3404.jpg?quality=80&w=807

"Thank you Nestor, but I'll look at it myself. There may be some confidential matters in it. Thank you too, Milt for explaining who everyone is. Financial rewards? I like those. I'm happy to have a captain. For now." Seneca puts on a thermal suit that he found behind the pod. "When do we go?"

"That, dear popsicle, is a very good question. Pilot! PILOT! Dhinor I know you can hear me! If you don't know how to fly this thing, step down as pilot - Bakleth needs help on the Custodial crew, there's amniotic cryo-fluid all over the place back here. Verne! You're promoted to head pilot. Salbarii or bust, my hirsute compadré!"

OOC - there are 8 of us in the raft, and most rafts are the size of a nissan micra from the looks of a quick google. So budge up! Also, do either of our pilots actually have the Flyer skill for Raft driving or are you space-pilots?

"That, dear popsicle, is a very good question. Pilot! PILOT! Dhinor I know you can hear me! If you don't know how to fly this thing, step down as pilot - Bakleth needs help on the Custodial crew, there's amniotic cryo-fluid all over the place back here. Verne! You're promoted to head pilot. Salbarii or bust, my hirsute compadré!"

OOC - there are 8 of us in the raft, and most rafts are the size of a nissan micra from the looks of a quick google. So budge up! Also, do either of our pilots actually have the Flyer skill for Raft driving or are you space-pilots?
    [OOC: stats just said piloting so I'm assuming that it's a one size fits most kind of approach]

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    [OOC: stats just said piloting so I'm assuming that it's a one size fits most kind of approach]

OCC: What they said... :)

OOC : Well, no. Pilot can fly shuttles, space ships, capital ships. Flyer can fly planes, copters, anti-gravs like the raft. So...

"Oh for **** sake."
    Evan bum-shoves Dhinor out of the way, relishing the moment of contact for no more than a second, then reviews the control panel and begins pressing buttons, pulling levers and wiggling joysticks - calling back over his shoulder "I'm still captain, I'm just leading from the front!"

OOC - Flyer-0, Bitches! :D

"All aboard!"

Once everyone is on board the air/raft, he'll set a course for Salbarri and fly there in an orderly fashion, comming the hot Digger to follow along in case they need help with the ship. Along the way he'll comm Dyot, explain the mission to survey the volcano and ask for any advice or assistance they can offer.

• Advertisement

OOC : Well, no. Pilot can fly shuttles, space ships, capital ships. Flyer can fly planes, copters, anti-gravs like the raft. So...

"Oh for **** sake."
    Evan bum-shoves Dhinor out of the way, relishing the moment of contact for no more than a second, then reviews the control panel and begins pressing buttons, pulling levers and wiggling joysticks - calling back over his shoulder "I'm still captain, I'm just leading from the front!"

"All aboard!"

Once everyone is on board the shuttle, he'll set a course for Salbarri and fly there in an orderly fashion, comming the hot Digger to follow along in case they need help with the ship. Along the way he'll comm Dyot, explain the mission to survey the volcano and ask for any advice or assistance they can offer.
    [OOC: not sure what buttons you're pressing mate but Dhinor isn't anywhere near the controls of the ship, myself and Glenn are]

"Oh for **** sake."

"All aboard!"

Once everyone is on board the shuttle, he'll set a course for Salbarri and fly there in an orderly fashion, comming the hot Digger to follow along in case they need help with the ship. Along the way he'll comm Dyot, explain the mission to survey the volcano and ask for any advice or assistance they can offer.

If Evan comes near Dhinor with the intent of shoving or pushing him anywhere, Dhinor pokes him in his fractured rib.

Alex shout up
    "I can help with the navigation but I've never flown one of these before. I can tell you where to point it but you'll need to do the pointing!"

OOC: My reading of the manual i think we are using is that flyers can only fly rafts/small non atmospheric craft, but pilots can do those AND space ships/atmospheric ships as well.

Description of Pilot skill is that they can fly/pilot any craft under 100 tonnes, so assume this covers Verne/Glenn/Me to fly the thing.

If the three of us cant, then you can Banjo :)

it would seem a bit mental that three of us could fly big capital ships, but couldnt handle the space equivalent of a jetski.

OOC: Bakleth can't do either of these things, can he have a go regardless? :pac:

OOC: Might be worth a clarification from Four?

• Advertisement

[OOC: not sure what buttons you're pressing mate but Dhinor isn't anywhere near the controls of the ship, myself and Glenn are]

OOC: Ha! Was just about to say this... :) Also, my character generation has this in it:

Pilot(spacecraft or small craft)

so I assume that covers this raft, and I assume it's the same for Dhinor and Verne too? In the end, I doubt Fourier will have an issue with this minor plot point, unless he plans to literally throw an obstacle in the way of the Raft on our way to the Volcano?

OOC - Raftgate discussion moved to the Slow RPG thread in Forum Games 'cause it gets a bit claggy otherwise. but for the record I'm voting Bakleth to pilot us, straight into the heart of the volcano screaming "steak apples!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

OOC: You're good to go Molly, so long as you don't attempt cartwheels or loop the loops.

Fourier wrote: »
    OOC: You're good to go Molly, so long as you don't attempt cartwheels or loop the loops.

[OOC: Fantastic!]

Verne slowly moves the ship out of the dune and in the direction of the crater. He keeps the speed slow to start to ensure that the plane is in decent working order and isn't about to fall out of the sky.

The craft slowly proceeds across the island to Mount Salbarii, hovering over roads with barely any activity outside of the occasional car.

OOC: Just to help imagine this, Traveller doesn't really use flying cars. Just like we still use knives, people still use cars that look pretty much like those today.

To reach the summit of Mount Salbarii would be impossible. The ship sensors warn of ash particles that would fry the engines. However slowly ascending he spots a ledge to land the raft, almost a kilometer up the mountain slope. This is the highest safe point to land the raft. However he can see a ledge another half kilometer beyond that, the sensors warn against it, but the engines won't definitively short out if they landed there.

• Advertisement

So what do we need to collect here and how do we go about doing it>?
    That will decide where we're best to land

Alex thinks he can make out a safe path to the higher ledge.

OOC: Alex give me a roll. No modifications just pure 2d6 roll. (No mods as your Navigation is 0, although having the skill at all along with Recon is what permits this roll.

The left path looks like a no go, but Alex thinks he can see a path to the right that by hugging the ground quite closely will get them to the higher ledge.

OOC: Alex spotting and navigating the path allows Verne to get a +4 to his roll to reach the higher summit. There is a -4 from the ash though, so +0 overall

"Well, I was aiming for the Settlement near Mt Salbarii, where most of our M-Drive is located, but I mean sure, lets clog up the vents of the Air Raft climbing to the summit of a Volcano that our horseman janitor wants to swim in."

Evan doublechecks his seatbelt.

OOC: Going to the town itself is still an option.

Bakleth checks his equipment for some swimgear.

"Well, I was aiming for the Settlement near Mt Salbarii, where most of our M-Drive is located, but I mean sure, lets clog up the vents of the Air Raft climbing to the summit of a Volcano that our horseman janitor wants to swim in."

Evan doublechecks his seatbelt.

'We agreed to do the mission. We are doing the mission. Plus we need to locate the ship before we start lugging around an M-drive.'

"The ship is not a ship without an M-Drive. It is a paperweight for a big ****ing stack of paper. You're a Navy trained pilot. Remind me what happens when you activate your J-Drive at the bottom of a gravity well. And you think we're conducting the survey in this heap? What's your sensor? Dangling Bakleth out the door on the end of a rope to shout 'too hot! too cold!'?"

OOC : In all seriousness, Dyot should be able to ping us the location of the ship, we know where it is, the issue is that we can't move it. Isn't it?

Seneca smiles at Milt. "Bakleth doesn't want to swim in lava. Anyway, I thought there were two captains?

OOC: That was what I was wondering, is this a hop out in an environ suit to take soil samples or what does this actually entail?

• Advertisement
Advertisement