Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traveller: Life in the Marches - A ship of our own

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

OOC; Bakleth gone. He ded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Seneca sees the lava flow over Bakleth, he's gone, but gave the rest time to get aboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Fourier wrote: »
    BABY UNIVERSE CONSTRUCTION COMPLETE.

Everybody throughout the ship hears the announcment.

Up at the bridge, Verne and Glenn see the console present them with an option. Attempt to calculate a jump to some location (safer in terms of the jump, but the calculation may take so long as to risk the eruption) or emergency jump with random settings.

OOC: If you go planned, pick a place with two hexagons here: https://travellermap.com/?x=-101.752&y=48.079&scale=147.03125

Verne decides anywhere is better than here and punches the emergency jump.

Dhinor rises from the bed he was placed on, and, with gritted teeth, makes his way to the bridge.

'What are our options?'

Edit: too late

RANDOMISED JUMP SEEDS APPROVED.

The ship shudders and the ground about it begins to shake pulling debris into the air.

Dhinor can see the whole bridge vibrating. A warning sign comes on saying that there is an instability in one of the staterooms.

FOUR MINUTES TO JUMP

• Advertisement

Dhinor pulls himself along the bulkheads with his remaining arm, to the stateroom in question and opens the door to search for the source of the instability.

Verne shakes his head in consternation. This was the wrong choice. Crazy human.'Can anyone check on the instability and fix it before we jump?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Seneca grieves silently while grabbing his diary.

Pter wrote: »
    Dhinor pulls himself along the bulkheads with his remaining arm, to the stateroom in question and opens the door to search for the source of the instability.
    The stateroom has a small hole in it, the size of a fist, but lethal during a jump.

THREE MINUTES THIRTY SECONDS

Dhinor comms the group

'Do we have anything we can seal a breach with? We are all dead if we don't. '

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Evan heads to the ships locker to see what they have sealant wise

The locker has industrial sealant, but not strong enough to close a hole in crystal iron.

'Evan, shoot off my lower arm.

Block the hole with it and the sealant.'

Seneca has unscrewed the rear panel of the cryogenic pod. There is a long steel motor about the width of a fist. Just four screws. He begins to unscrew.

'wait Evan'

Dhinor stops Evan from shooting him.

'Evan, shoot off my lower arm.

Block the hole with it and the sealant.'

Ooc : what kind of ammo have I got, hull-penetration wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Nestor, recovering as her temperature returns to normal triages the crew. Mostly cuts, bruises, exhaustion and shock. Seneca will need a cast and some bonesetting but the worst injuries is Dhinor. She stabilizes as well as she can given the circumstances but it's in the lap of the gods* as to whether she'll have to remove the arm.

*AKA Fourier.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OOC: Electronics Static Resolution
    Seneca has unscrewed the rear panel of the cryogenic pod. There is a long steel motor about the width of a fist. Just four screws. He begins to unscrew.
    The steel motor comes free. Seneca extracts it from the cryopod unit.

THREE MINUTES UNTIL JUMP.

Seneca hands the motor to Milt. "Try this. If that doesn't work take his arm.

Banjo wrote: »
    Ooc : what kind of ammo have I got, hull-penetration wise
    OOC: You talking about the ship or Dhinor ;)

• Advertisement

Fourier wrote:
    OOC: You talking about the ship or Dhinor

OOC: the thinking might be he can't shoot me without rupturing the hull

OOC: Hull can easily take gunfire. Traveller ships have massively thick hulls.

"Evan to the rescue!" Screams Milt as all of Saul's identities coalesce in RJs head.

He attempts to plug the hole with the motor and sealant

TWO MINUTES THIRTY SECONDS

Seneca notices that time passes very slowly in this realm.

It only takes Evan half a minute to seal the hole and strong enough to definitely survive a vacuum.

Outside the gravitational field being formed by the ship rips the crust from the volcano. The upper crater erupts.

With an earth shattering blast the ship vanishes as the lava streams into the atmosphere and out onto the rest of the island.

Walston Palace:
    The Minister looks out his window to see the sky turn red.

Walston Orbit:
    Dagonet gazes out at Walston from the Captain's window as the island is covered in ash. Poor idiots, they didn't stand a chance. She wondered if Dhinor had been on the slopes when it occured.

Evan retreats to engineering, recovers his charged gear and cradles Mercy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

OOC: So, if I've got this right, we came to collect a ship, and instead we've basically destroyed a planet and done an emergency jump in a ship that doesn't have an M Drive for when we exit the jump? Out of curiosity, was the Volcano gonna blow anyhow, or did we cause it?

Dhinor heads to the med bay to rest and get this arm seen to by Nestor.

• Advertisement

Jump ends abruptly.

Had they been out cold for a week or something?

Verne is the first to regain consciousness. The computer is analysing the stars trying to figure out location and time.

Verne sees the results come in, each more confusing than the last.

They are in orbit around the star of the planet Blue, in the Trojan Reaches, Tlaiowaha subsector, but...two weeks before they left.

:eek::eek::eek:
    Verne cannot understand the readings. He heads around the ship to see the status of the crew.

OOC: Okay, I'm done for today. Nervewrecking!

Catches breath.

Now D&D.

OOC: Cheers Four!!!

Verne opens an open channel to the ship. 'Folks, if anyone is awake that I haven't found yet, you guys need to get to the bridge. I cannot understand these readings but it looks like we've travelled 2 weeks into the past.'

Nestor calls shotgun on the largest stateroom on her way to the bridge.

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    Nestor calls shotgun on the largest stateroom on her way to the bridge.

Evan, who called Drivers seat on the largest stateroom, and who understands idioms from long ago, wonders if Nestor understands what she's done?

Glenn turns to Verne while waiting for the rest of the crew to arrive. "I said back on the Wind On Stars that if we didn't have a plan, we would fail, and it looks like I was right. We might be two weeks in the past, but that doesn't negate what we did, destroying a planet and the people on it. Dhinor said he would be Captain until he died or someone better came along, and I believe that someone is you. I intend to say as much to the rest of the crew, unless you don't want me to? And we have to decide if we're going to use these two weeks to fix what has happened."

OOC: I'm not sure of the timeline, we had to Jump to the station, and then to my planet and then Walston. If we're two weeks in the past, where does that place us in the story? Also, I just remembered this, by Evan, talk about knowing what's coming!: "Mr Cas, you'll never see your data or a financial return while this moron is waving that ****ing thing around. In a few weeks time you'll be assembling another bunch of no-hopers, shoveling another 6 grand at them and firing those poor bastards into the void to recover our marooned corpses" :)

#cassandracomplex

#dunningkrugereffect

#Pissingcontest

• Advertisement

Dhinor comms Nestor.

'Medic, can you join me in the medbay. We need to make a call on this arm'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭conor222

Alex thinks back if he had ever heard of something like this happening before, even if it was just old wifes tales that soldiers after a few too many had claimed happened to a friend of a friend.
    "This is weird, are we sure that reading is correct?"

Dhinor comms Nestor.

'Medic, can you join me in the medbay. We need to make a call on this arm'
    Nestor checks the arm. "It'll heal, in time. It'll always be a bit stiff, and rheumatism will be an issue if you live that long. I don't think the ship has the capabilities to replace it with an augmented arm but I've yet to search the ship."

She cleans then applies unguents, soothing balms and dressings to the wound. Before he leaves she goes into a routine of chasing away evil spirits from the wound with some smouldering sage leaves while chanting some nonsense verse just for giggles.

"Take two aspirin and call me in the morning."

Dhinor calls everyone to the ships mess.

'We need to talk and decide how to proceed. We also need to choose a new Captain'

Dhinor grabs the rifle Jensen Cas issued to him before arriving at the mess hall.

jasonb wrote: »
    Glenn turns to Verne while waiting for the rest of the crew to arrive. "I said back on the Wind On Stars that if we didn't have a plan, we would fail, and it looks like I was right. We might be two weeks in the past, but that doesn't negate what we did, destroying a planet and the people on it. Dhinor said he would be Captain until he died or someone better came along, and I believe that someone is you. I intend to say as much to the rest of the crew, unless you don't want me to? And we have to decide if we're going to use these two weeks to fix what has happened."

'I appreciate your support Glenn. I am not however a mutineer, we have a captain currently that was democratically elected. I will follow him until a majority of the crew decides otherwise. Lets go see what he has to say for himself.'

Verne puts the ship in a holding position and heads down to the mess hall.

"Don't worry Verne, I wasn't suggesting mutiny, but I'll definitely be suggesting a vote". Glenn follows Verne to the mess hall, after first checking that the ship is stable in orbit and there are no more surprises coming their way...

In the mess Nestor raids the stores and finds some frozen fish sticks that she sits and starts to eat still frozen.

"If it's true that we have gone back in time then we have some options.

We can try to save the planet by getting to the ship earlier than we managed before and producing the data needed by the planet leaders to commence an evacuation in time.

We can find a bookies off world and try to make our fortunes in a one off high stakes bet.

We can find our other selves and tell us not to start the mission irrespective of what paradoxes that might cause.

We can just keep the ship, become spacepirates free and independent traders.

We also don't know if this is a one time event, pun unintended, or are we stuck in a time loop until we get to the right answer. I guess we can just blow ourselves up again to test that theory.

I'd like to meet myself though, I'm pretty fascinating and always good company."

Although she's speaking glibly and with an air of nonchalance she is actually deep into her comm link researching time travel, time paradox, possible rational for timeslip caused by faulty M-Drive in planet jumping and for any references at all in the science journals for indications that this might have a precedence.

Dhinor regards everyone in the mess with a stern look and arms folded across his chest; leaving his burnt arm for all to see.

‘We are all here. Good.

There is only one word for what happened to us. CLUSTERFLIP.

I was elected Captain by all of you here. You agreed to follow my leadership, and we are in the position we are in now because that leadership was not followed. Specifically by RJ.

We lost Bakleth to the volcano, but really, we lost him to insubordination. RJ not only undermined me and claimed the role of captain at every opportunity, but also tried to bring us off mission and ignored a direct order from the elected captain to stay on mission.
    Added to that, he assaulted the elected captain with a Taser, while that captain had an energy sword on his person.

I am stepping down as captain, but whomever is to be captain cannot abide behaviour like this. And ill be damned if I follow RJ in any way. HE KILLED BAKLETH WITH HIS STUPID BEHAVIOUR AND THEN JUMPED US HERE DESPITE THE ORDER BEING TO NOT JUMP FROM ORBIT.

To summarise our position, we may or may not be mass murdering criminals in two weeks’ time, because, having consulted with Verne on the way here, we appear to have been flung across the Galaxy, as well as being sent back in time by 2 weeks.

We have light speed propulsion and repulsors, both of which im sure will probably require repair. If we are to travel or land anywhere, its not going to be easy.

While I personally hold RJ responsible for our loss of a crewmate and our current position, we are all culpable. Which of you stepped in to stop your captain being assaulted. Which of you stopped RJs insubordination?

We are no crew. Not yet. Maybe whomever takes over from me as Captain can whip this ship into shape.’

EDIT: SORRY DHINOR DOESNT KNOW HIM AS EVAN. Just editing references to RJ.

Nestor stands up and leaves muttering "Captain, schmaptain." Her disdain for authority clearly on view she heads out to search the ship for prosthetic limbs.

Verne steps forward. 'All of this talk is all well and good but there's little point trying to make plans until we have a status report on the condition of the ship. Computer, can you tell us what condition the ship is in?'

[OOC: not sure if the ship's computer works like the Enterprise or not but that's what I'm hoping for here. Otherwise I've just made an eejit of myself by talking to a bulkhead.]

• Advertisement
Advertisement