Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller: Life in the Marches - A ship of our own

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

"The ship is moving. Just an idle thought, should we be steering?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

"engineering to bridge : we have very little aspect control but call out directions to the gunnery position, it's rigged with a makeshift LeGarde dish, we can steer a bit. Just no sharp turns. Also, I had to use the only shaving mirror on board so if all the men on board could please make a name sticker now, because by the time help gets here we're all going to look like Verne. Markers and paper will be available in the common room. Oh, and captain, what do you call those pressurised oxygen containers people wear in space or underwater?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Banjo wrote: »
    "engineering to bridge : we have very little aspect control but call out directions to the gunnery position, it's rigged with a makeshift LeGarde dish, we can steer a bit. Just no sharp turns. Also, I had to use the only shaving mirror on board so if all the men on board could please make a name sticker now, because by the time help gets here we're all going to look like Verne. Markers and paper will be available in the common room. Oh, and captain, what do you call those pressurised oxygen containers people wear in space or underwater?"

Verne heads back to the bridge to navigate while Glenn is getting back on board. He comms the ship 'Ok guys, brilliant work, we're gonna move slowly towards Blue and hope that we can get close enough for it's gravity to catch us and get us into orbit at least. Evan are you talking about Oxegen tanks? Not sure where you're going with this.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

OldGoat wrote: »
    I leave the viewport as the light levels become uncomfortable and head to the computer workstation and start researching Blue Starport.
    Blue was once, long ago, a holiday home for the rich. A small, but pleasant world for the upper classes of the Sindalian Empire. The empire itself had been founded by colonists from the Imperium thousands of years ago, but had been destroyed in a civil war by biological warfare.

Everybody now living on Blue is mostly the descendent of people trapped in their holiday homes when the bioweapons bombarded the rest of the Empire.

Zooming in on images of the starport, Nestor notices a statue of a Droyne.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    tanks?

Engineering to bridge : You're welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

Fourier wrote: »

Zooming in on images of the starport, Nestor notices a statue of a Droyne.

OOC: I think I'm gonna like this planet... :)

Engineering to bridge : You're welcome.

'Oh for god sake even this is a serious situation we're in. Can you please treat it as such? Stop being so needy.'

"Sir, if we don't have manners, we're no better than animals.... Who's on Navigation? We need an approximate ETA so we can see if anyone needs to low-berth to preserve supplies."

Evan heads down to the cargo hold to see if there's any cargo.

Glenn joins Verne in the Bridge and starts working on Navigation. "Just a thought Captain, if we do come close enough to the Planet, do we have enough maneuverability to enter a stable orbit?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Dhinor also heads to the bridge.

'Given im not captain anymore, but am a dab hand at piloting, i would suggest i can handle this barge and leave you to the running of the ship, Captain'

OOC: Jason, whats your pilot stat btw? Whichever one of us is better can steer :D

• Advertisement

Ooc : someone with Gunnery should steer. Because the guns have the laser emitter array that we point at the focussing mirror to generate additional pressure on the sail and get a turning moment. What's the point in me making all this **** up if no one reads it ? Remember, it's the improvised LeGarde dish used to create a Hull-Nichols rudder for the Lebedev array! Simples! Dhinor should call out directions

Ooc : someone with Gunnery should steer. Because the guns have the laser emitter array that we point at the focussing mirror to generate additional pressure on the sail and get a turning moment. What's the point in me making all this **** up if no one reads it ? Remember, it's the improvised LeGarde dish used to create a Hull-Nichols rudder for the Lebedev array! Simples! Dhinor should call out directions

OOC: Well then great news; guess who has Gunnery.

"This is great, we're going on holidays. Anyone got a spare pair of togs?" Anticipating the worst, Seneca adds " Clean would be good".

Pter wrote: »
    OOC: Well then great news; guess who has Gunnery.

"Dhinor! Quit flexing and get to the guns! Verne and Glenn can tell you were to aim. Remember, your view is inverted in the X axis but not the y, and you're aiming at the opposite side of the sail to the direction they ask you for horizontal adjustments so it cancels out, but not on the vertical. Don't overheat the emitters, keep the needle in the yellow, don't burn a hole on the sail, and don't get the triggers confused or you'll destroy the whole rig. Go!"

OOC: Dhinor, Gunnery(Dexterity, Difficulty:+4) roll

OOC: I forgot to post up my stats after getting the card from Fourier:

Astrogation: 1
    Electronics (Computers, Comms, Sensors): 1
    Jack of All Trades: 1
    Mechanic: 1
    Pilot (Small Craft): 1
    Science (Space): 1
    Stealth: 1
    Streetwise: 1
    Vacsuit: 1

Flying (i.e. using my wings): 0
    Drive (All): 0
    Engineer (All): 0
    Gun Combat (All): 0
    Survival: 0

Dhinor fires the ship's pulse laser at the mirror, striking it perfectly without targeting assistance from the computer. He is then guided by the computer in striking the mirror in the correct sequence to turn the ship in the direction of Blue.

The computer speaks throughout the ship via intercom:

"Solar Sail adjusted, commencing full power up of sail. Travel time to Blue....7 weeks."

OOC: Pter forgot to switch roll request to new style. I've edited above just so you can see what it was.

"Good shot Dhinor. Pity all that work isn't actually going to get us anywhere fast! 7 weeks to Blue, but we've 10 weeks of food and help should be here in last than 38 hours. I think I'll go catch up on some sleep, once I've checked to make sure everything is ok with the ship's systems"

'Well done Dhinor, can we shut down all non-essential systems and try to conserve energy just in case this rescue party doesn't appear?'

• Advertisement

As the ship speeds away toward Blue, the ship's sensors pick up a modified Far Trader. The trader cannot detect them as they are running "silent" with no M-drive emissions.

Outfitted with nuclear missiles, this was obviously a pirate ship. The navigation console projects its flight path to be heading in the direction of the group's last distress beacon. Had they remained in place they would have had a fight on their hands.

Of course, now that they are running silent, the rescue party will not be able to detect them without another transmission.

"well done Dhinor. Thank goodness you were here to point one thing at another thing. Otherwise we were done for. Bravo, you have singlehandedly saved us all.

Don't worry about power, thanks to Seneca the same rigging that anchors the sail chute is siphons off excess heat into our systems, that's why we attached it through the scoop's relay. As long as we have sun, we have power. In fact we should probably start playing some movies and running the washing machine, because it's working better than I expected and there's a slight danger the Henry seal will rupture and the ship will explode. I mean I don't know why I'm mentioning it, it's really unlikely but i just fancied a bit of a chat."

Glenn gets back on the comms... "Now Even, you know we'd all be dead without you. In fact, you're so essential that we were even nearly dead with you!"

"Captain, I'd suggest we aim for the system's Oort Cloud, if that's where the rescue ships are coming from. Then, in say 15 hours, we can send another distress call. I would suggest a slight course change an hour before we drop the beacon, and then another change immediately afterwards, in case that Pirate decides to try to track our heading..."

'Shut the **** up Evan. Next time why dont you give it a shot and see how you get on.'

Evan looks at his shotgun.
    "...nah, too literal."

He approaches the bridge.
    "Pirates eh? Look, any rescue ship that comes out here is going to head to our original location. They're going to find the pirates, not us, and they're not going to be equipped to handle them.

We could send another transmission and give ourselves away, or run quiet and have the cleanup team get ambushed, or... Well, if we send a decoy signal out we could disable the pirate ship - I'm thinking we load a low berth pod onto a sled or the casing of the M-drive, stick a transmitter in it to ping out a distress call - enough that they can find it but not enough that they can see what it is - stick The Negotiator on board and rig a proximity sensor to overload it's containment field. We could cut their ship in half, then send a transmission to Blue with our updated position?"

"I don't see what the panic is. The rescue ships said 38 hours and we know what direction they're coming from. We're not moving too fast here, so we can safely calculate when the rescue ships will be near us, i.e. in 19 hours they'll be halfway to our original point, but we'll have moved a bit closer to them too etc. So, we just calculate the best time to contact them again, and they'll be a lot closer to us. We don't need to try to take on a ship with dummys and decoys when we're effectively barely able to move."

"Good idea, Milt. Can I expand on it? We have no way of knowing who we are actually communicating with. As we are running silently we almost undetectable. Could we send the unmanned pod out and keep it at a distance where we can monitor it from behind a planet. We could then send a distress signal from it and observe if friend or foe comes to our aid."

jasonb wrote: »
    "I don't see what the panic is. The rescue ships said 38 hours and we know what direction they're coming from. We're not moving too fast here, so we can safely calculate when the rescue ships will be near us, i.e. in 19 hours they'll be halfway to our original point, but we'll have moved a bit closer to them too etc. So, we just calculate the best time to contact them again, and they'll be a lot closer to us. We don't need to try to take on a ship with dummys and decoys when we're effectively barely able to move."

'Glenn is right; Evan IS an idiot'

"Good idea, Milt. Can I expand on it? We have no way of knowing who we are actually communicating with. As we are running silently we almost undetectable. Could we send the unmanned pod out and keep it at a distance where we can monitor it from behind a planet. We could then send a distress signal from it and observe if friend or foe comes to our aid."

"I like that. Not sure we have the manoueverability to pull it off but we could even just diddle the beacon to misrepresent our position a little, give us an idea of who's who. Glenn's right, though, we can wait for the rescue to get closer.

Hey, anyone know how to spoof a sensor ping to look like an imperial dreadnought?"
    Pter wrote: »
    'Glenn is right; Evan IS an idiot'

"Idiot like a fox!" Evan gives him a big goonie grin and mimes being electrocuted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

"We should lay a trap for the pirates, steal their ship and ransack it for parts."
    Nestor has fashioned the now redundant airfilter into a pirates eye-patch, still with the neon gaping maw on it.
    "Arrr."

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement