Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller: Life in the Marches - A ship of our own

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Pter wrote: »
    Dhinor passes the time waiting for further orders taking TN apart and putting it back together again in original factory condition, removing modifications someone may have made and suddenly noticing a small scar of a cute animal on his burnt arm.
    Dhinor suddenly receives a sharp electric shock that has him pass out at the common room table.

jasonb wrote: »
    OOC: I'd need Fourier to confirm, but from a quick google I don't think I can teleport anywhere that I haven't seen?
    OOC: Not unless you use another one of your powers. Details PMed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Seneca unholsters his shotgun. "Just a reminder, this is sawn off." He runs over to where Dhinor lies prone and looks around for the source of what appeared to be an electric shock while checking for a pulse. "Does anyone know if Vilani types have hearts?

Seneca unholsters his shotgun. "Just a reminder, this is sawn off." He runs over to where Dhinor lies prone and looks around for the source of what appeared to be an electric shock while checking for a pulse. "Does anyone know if Vilani types have hearts?
    Dhinor comes round. The Vilanis' larger lungs and stronger heart help him to recover in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

'What's happened to Dhinor? Nestor can you check him out?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Dhinor puts TN back together again as it was before he made any changes.

'thanks Seneca'

"You okay, Dhinor? What happened?" Seneca reholsters his sawn off and continues to search for the source of the shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

OldGoat wrote: »
    Nestor thinks some lewd and bawdy limericks at Glenn as he tried to make sence of the computer readings.

Glenn thinks 'Right back at you Baby' at Nestor...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

"You okay, Dhinor? What happened?" Seneca reholsters his sawn off and continues to search for the source of the shock.

'Yeah just a shock off TN. I was messing around with the configuration. Lesson learned!'

OOC: Dhinor, Electronics(Intelligence, Difficulty: +2)

• Advertisement

Pter wrote: »
    'Yeah just a shock off TN. I was messing around with the configuration. Lesson learned!'

"Okay, good. I think. Anyway, what's the plan, Captain."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Glenn thinks 'Right back at you Baby' at Nestor...
    Nestor laugh out loud for no apparent reason the others can see.

She checks Dhinor. "Mild electrical shock, nothing dangerous, probably did you more good then harm even if it was unpleasant. I prescribe insulated tools when working with electrical components. Get rest and food."

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

With the bridge crew dispersing, Evan wanders back through to the ship, smiling at the semiconscious bufoon. On his way back to engineering, he trips on something in the common room, which he picks up and pockets. It occurs to him that he hasn't looked in the cargo bay yet so he pops down for a quick inventory - maybe the last crew were running M-drives or phased fusion warheads! - before taking a closer look at the drone, getting a handle on it's capability, range and control system, and any associated paraphernalia, wafers, decks, manuals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

"Attention crew of the...dang, whats this called again? Can we rename the ship to 'Vainglorious' please?
    Anyway, what I really need to know is if anyone has found any oil or watercolour paint anywhere? Anyone? Is this thing even on?"

Nestor retreats to her stateroom and dims the interior lights even more then tries to Macgyver the aircon in the room to run at about 5 degrees C.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Seneca is sleeping in the cryogenic pod having decided that there was more action when he was in suspended animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Well, if we're waiting on these rescue boats I think we need to do some planning,
    I've dealt with small planetary administrators before and theres going to be a lot of questions about who we are, what we're doing here and why we are in a ship that if I understand our reading correctly, is currently simultaneously in another system engaging in a mixture of geographical testing and illegal activity!
    If our time readings are correct we haven't spoken to the scouts yet, we dont have a mission and we sure as hell dont have an explanation that will stand up to any scrutiny. If we work out a story I can try to sell it. Like I've said, I've had to deal with a few situations like this before.

Covert mission for the scouts? Independent contractors who have mocked up the ship to look like its the scouts to help deter pirates? What are we thinking?

Also, we're looking to get repairs and head out immediately right?

Glenn wakes, feeling refreshed, and eats some food before joining Alex.

"I agree, we need some cover story."

OOC: I get the feeling we're quite a distance away from where we were, will it even be known/discovered that we're out of sync with time? I would imagine with the size of the Traveller Universe, that there's no way of someone in this corner knowing that our ship should currently be in the other corner? Was there a link to a map we can look at?

Hearing voices on deck, Seneca too wakes up refreshed and eats some food. "Is there anyway that we can turn our necessities into virtues? As I see it, we are basically invisible in time and space. That opens up a lot of opportunity for gain and exploitation. If we were so inclined, of course. At the very least, it would give us the advantage of surprise over enemies."

Popping back from a successful inventory of the drone and cargo bays, which he'll happily flashback to later in needed, Evan chimes in :

"Tell them what you want. If they have imperial authority they'll pull the logs routinely and the logs will confirm the truth. At that point we're caught in a lie, and how do we demonstrate that we're not pirates or opportunists? We could wipe the logs but that makes us look more suspicious and they're the only thing left that knows I didn't initiate that highly illegal and immoral jump, so that's not in my interests. Oh, and we're not running a proper Scout OS which is another black mark. We could upgrade, I have the kit, but it doesn't seem like a good time for rebooting one of the few systems that works does it?"

Still shaking off the electric shock, Dhinor glances down at the ground. A military strength shockguard installed by Walstrom port authority to prevent tampering with the tracking device. It'd flatten a human from Earth, knock them out for a day at least, but Dhinor is mostly Vilani and recovered pretty fast. Still though his muscles feel a bit stiff and contracted from the shock, so he climbs into a cryopod and sets it to medical mode to ease out those worn joints and muscles. He brings the Negotiator in with him, the sword is wholly his once more.

OOC: Giving Pter a bit of a pause with the busy Werewolf week. Just step out whenever you are ready Pter.

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    maybe the last crew were running M-drives or phased fusion warheads! - before taking a closer look at the drone, getting a handle on it's capability, range and control system, and any associated paraphernalia, wafers, decks, manuals etc.
    Opening the drone casing, Evan finds ten of the probe drones within. The total cost must come to about 1 million credits.

One of the drone activates and syncs to the ship's computer.

"Hello Evan pleasant day? Sent back almost a year, that's rough."

He then begins a little patrol just outside the cargo hold.

Deeg2G.jpg

"Attention crew of the...dang, whats this called again? Can we rename the ship to 'Vainglorious' please?
    The computer immediately picks up on this.

"Name accepted. Ship will now respond to Vainglorious"
    Nestor retreats to her stateroom and dims the interior lights even more then tries to Macgyver the aircon in the room to run at about 5 degrees C.
    Nestor, being top of her class in Computational Medicine back on Ghost, easily hacks the aircon to Ghost temperatures.

OOC: I get the feeling we're quite a distance away from where we were, will it even be known/discovered that we're out of sync with time? I would imagine with the size of the Traveller Universe, that there's no way of someone in this corner knowing that our ship should currently be in the other corner? Was there a link to a map we can look at?
    OOC: The journey broken into two pieces. Blue to Fintor:
    zswBhW.jpg

And Fintor to Walston:
    Aao8Gj.jpg

OOC: Thanks Fourier, it looks like we're a good way away then, probably take close to half a year to even get back over there, right? I'm basing that on it taking a week to do the previous two jumps, which were systems only two 'hexes' apart? How long does it take communications to travel, say someone wanted to send a message to Walston from Blue?

Seneca looks ar the drones and thinks of space hoppers in his childhood. He wonders if they could be used as a form of transport especially with vac suits available.

Fourier wrote: »
    One of the drone activates and syncs to the ship's computer.

"Hello Evan pleasant day? Sent back almost a year, that's rough."

He then begins a little patrol just outside the cargo hold.

Deeg2G.jpg

"Hey, Barrymore" Evan calls to the drone, switching to drone or computer if she doesn't answer, "what kind of range, atmospheric, offensive and defensive capabilities do you have? Or are you purely for research? And if so, why do your sensors look like laser rifles?

OOC: Thanks Fourier, it looks like we're a good way away then, probably take close to half a year to even get back over there, right? I'm basing that on it taking a week to do the previous two jumps, which were systems only two 'hexes' apart? How long does it take communications to travel, say someone wanted to send a message to Walston from Blue?
    OOC: Communication is limited to the speed of light, hence 114 years for a message to get to Walston from Blue. Quickest way to get a message to somebody in the Traveller world is to store it in a ship's computers and get the ship to jump to the necessary system.

"Hey, Barrymore"
    "Drone Barrymore reporting."
    "what kind of range, atmospheric, offensive and defensive capabilities do you have? Or are you purely for research? And if so, why do your sensors look like laser rifles?
    "I can be launched to the planet surface from low orbit and transmit detailed reports. Unfortunately I cannot get back out of the gravity wells of most inhabited planets.

As for my unusual appearance, I have been outfitted to function as a decent war drone. The previous crew under their captain Wayne made many illegal modifications like that, but I can tell you Drone Barrymore doesn't want to be part of Wayne's World anymore."

Seneca looks ar the drones and thinks of space hoppers in his childhood. He wonders if they could be used as a form of transport especially with vac suits available.
    Riding the drone to the surface of a planet would be possible in certain advanced Vacc Suits they have in this time if the magazine in the common room was to be believed.

• Advertisement

Glenn checks the sensors to see where the Pirate ship is, and where the Rescue ships are.

Advertisement