Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dad and baby groups?

Options
  • 18-02-2018 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Hi all, stay at home Dad based in North Dublin here just wondering if there are any Dad and baby groups, or if any parent and baby groups where there are a few guys that attend? Have tried one or two already that were all women and I felt a little like breast feeding mom's etc weren't too comfortable unfortunately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Have tried one or two already that were all women and I felt a little like breast feeding mom's etc weren't too comfortable unfortunately.

That's their problem. I went to our local group when I took time out. It was a bit awkward at first being the only guy buy after a few weeks it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Don't think there is any specific dad and baby/toddler groups ,
    I went to my local one which was an all mammy group on my first and second Child ,
    It might feel awkward at first but the important thing is you have something in common with them your a parent too ,
    I'd stick it out and get to know some of them , the groups can be a valuable source of information .

When I attended for the first year I was always the man at the mother and toddler group but I kept on talking with the facilitator who eventually changed the name from mother and toddler to Parent and career toddler group,
    We eventually had 4 dad's come along regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

Lits of dads and a grandad come to ours. Not in Dublin though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

In North Dublin here, and no, not that I know of.Persevere with the toddler groups.I always think there should be more parent and baby groups....there tends to only be breastfeeding baby groups, and every parent needs support, no matter how they feed their kids.I always feel bad especially for first time bottle feeding mums-they might not be BF but they still need a cup of tea and a shoulder to cry on!!!

Not sure how old the baby is but look out for clap handies, jo jingles groups, that type of thing.Or you know....set up a group of your own for all parents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I remember seeing an ad before in the harmonstown resource centre for a dad and baby exercise group, could possibly be in santry / swords area. If I see ad again I will send you details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Where are you in north dublin? They one I go to had a few dads/ grandads. Dublin 5 based

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. Little one is seven months and we're based just passed the airport but more than happy to drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. Little one is seven months and we're based just passed the airport but more than happy to drive!

Hi
    I bring my little one who is two and a half to a group in garristown community centre on wednesday morning from 9.30 to 11. Im the only dad there but all the mammoes are really nice and dont think they have a problem with me.
    There are children there from 6 months up to about 4 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 channelcarrie

There is a group on Tuesday mornings from 10am in the hall on the Jamestown Road in Dublin 11. We were there this morning & a few dads are normally there.
    Lots of babies to toddlers too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Hi all, stay at home Dad based in North Dublin here just wondering if there are any Dad and baby groups, or if any parent and baby groups where there are a few guys that attend? Have tried one or two already that were all women and I felt a little like breast feeding mom's etc weren't too comfortable unfortunately.

I go to a toddler group every Monday
    (Not dublin). I'm the only male in it. Yeah at the start it's awkward but I keep thinking I'm doing it for my wee girl and she enjoys it. Yeah breast feeding groups would be awkward. 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

You could try an activity based one like for example water babies or music one. Now you woukd have to pay but with activity attached it I'm guessing less breastfeeding + maybe more men especially at swimming group. Not just men who don't like breastfeeding groups. They were not my cup of tea either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

appledrop wrote: »
    You could try an activity based one like for example water babies or music one. Now you woukd have to pay but with activity attached it I'm guessing less breastfeeding + maybe more men especially at swimming group. Not just men who don't like breastfeeding groups. They were not my cup of tea either!

Thanks everyone again! I'm going to check out some of the suggestions.

We are in a swimming group already, but still the only Dad there out of 30 babies! Appreciate the suggestion however!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Maybe pick one group you like and stick with it so you get to know the parents/ mams. When I was on maternity leave I went to one group every week and made some really good friends that I’m still in contact with even though most of us are back at work a good while. There was another group that I popped into now and again if I was around and i always felt a bit odd there as I didn’t really know anyone and never felt 100 % part of it.
    Edit to add
    I am a Mam, not a dad!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

There is a group on Tuesday mornings from 10am in the hall on the Jamestown Road in Dublin 11. We were there this morning & a few dads are normally there.
    Lots of babies to toddlers too!

Whereabouts is this? I live in the village and haven't heard about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 channelcarrie

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Whereabouts is this? I live in the village and haven't heard about it!

It's in the Baptist hall adjacent & down a bit from the Johnston, Mooney factory.

It's a really good group - loads of toys & puzzles, toast & biscuits & drink given to the kids, and a cup of tea/coffee for the parents. There are toddlers & plenty of younger babies. They do a sing song too. No set cost but a small donation.

Advertisement