Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri coaches

Options
  • 18-02-2018 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

looking for any recommendations for a coach. Not looking for bells and whistles, basically just someone to program my bike sessions (turbo and long/hills) for Dublin 70.3 . Maybe run as well, but not a must.
    Not looking for loads of contact etc just a solid race specific bike program.

Has anyone had a similar set up recently ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

miller82 wrote: »
    Hey Folks,

looking for any recommendations for a coach. Not looking for bells and whistles, basically just someone to program my bike sessions (turbo and long/hills) for Dublin 70.3 . Maybe run as well, but not a must.
    Not looking for loads of contact etc just a solid race specific bike program.

Has anyone had a similar set up recently ?

Thanks

http://tri-monkey.co.uk/

Rich Brady
    Coached Flora Duffy to her first Olympics
    Former High performance coach with Welsh Tri
    I worked with him for years - does good remote programs, well worth reaching out to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

just to be sure you are looking for a prescriber not a coach . you have to ask yourself the question why not go with a book ?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

If you're Dublin based Base2Race do a turbo training session on Saturday mornings. It's aimed at 70.3/IM level so decent few hours of training and more structured than just being left to your own devices.

I'm having a similar problem. Currently training for Dublin 70.3 but am worried that I'm not getting the best out of my training so started looking into coaches. I also don't want/need one on one sessions a couple of times a month, just need to be pointed in the right direction and to reassure me that I'm at least doing the right kind of thing.
    peter kern wrote: »
    just to be sure you are looking for a prescriber not a coach . you have to ask yourself the question why not go with a book ?

I've looked at a book or two and a few training plans online but they seem to vary hugely. Some are all about perceived exertion levels and heart rate zones and others are just building up to the distance. At the moment I'm trying to do the bike route for Dublin 70.3 a couple of times a month and hoping that'll get me over the line within the allowed time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

Personally I think if you're in the 'just want to finish bracket' there's no need to get a coach. A couple of years ago I came across a 'coach' charging huge money to coach people to their first IM finish (and these were just want to finish people) and I couldn't believe people would pay what he was charging, especially given the background of the 'coach'.......but that's another story.

A half IM is eminently doable by someone with a reasonable level of fitness (so long as you can swim ;)). I get that Dublin has a hilly bike route so you will need to train over hills but a coach is not going to make that any easier for you. A coach is not a magic bullet, you still have to do the work and as Peter has said there are books and plans out there for beginners through to more experienced racers. Pick one that suits and go with it. Do your long weekend bikes over hills. When the days get longer do one of your midweek sessions on hills. If you don't live near mountains find a short hill / drag and do repeats in a big gear. Main thing is to just ride your bike.

By all means get a coach if you want to utilise your full potential and race the event.

Just my 2c as a 'just want to finish' off the least amount of training possible IM finisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

A good coach will also tell you that you don't need a coach once if they realise you don't (In my opinion)

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    Personally I think if you're in the 'just want to finish bracket' there's no need to get a coach. A couple of years ago I came across a 'coach' charging huge money to coach people to their first IM finish (and these were just want to finish people) and I couldn't believe people would pay what he was charging, especially given the background of the 'coach'.......but that's another story.

A half IM is eminently doable by someone with a reasonable level of fitness (so long as you can swim ;)). I get that Dublin has a hilly bike route so you will need to train over hills but a coach is not going to make that any easier for you. A coach is not a magic bullet, you still have to do the work and as Peter has said there are books and plans out there for beginners through to more experienced racers. Pick one that suits and go with it. Do your long weekend bikes over hills. When the days get longer do one of your midweek sessions on hills. If you don't live near mountains find a short hill / drag and do repeats in a big gear. Main thing is to just ride your bike.

By all means get a coach if you want to utilise your full potential and race the event.

Just my 2c as a 'just want to finish' off the least amount of training possible IM finisher.

I guess this depends on many things sometimes a coach can be the magic bullet.

what iam really saying here is the OP is somebody that has tri experience at a solid level and i dont think what he is looking for in his post is particularly going to help him as he wont get much more out than finding a book for himself . he is looking for a bike programm but dosnt realy want the coach to get involved in swim and run. so at the end of the day the OP has to coordinate the overall program .

rxchxy wrote: »
    If you're Dublin based Base2Race do a turbo training session on Saturday mornings. It's aimed at 70.3/IM level so decent few hours of training and more structured than just being left to your own devices.

I'm having a similar problem. Currently training for Dublin 70.3 but am worried that I'm not getting the best out of my training so started looking into coaches. I also don't want/need one on one sessions a couple of times a month, just need to be pointed in the right direction and to reassure me that I'm at least doing the right kind of thing.

I've looked at a book or two and a few training plans online but they seem to vary hugely. Some are all about perceived exertion levels and heart rate zones and others are just building up to the distance. At the moment I'm trying to do the bike route for Dublin 70.3 a couple of times a month and hoping that'll get me over the line within the allowed time!

very different scenario as you dont seem to have the basics what you are looking for . I guess for you you might want to look to get into a club and get a better idea what the sport is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

peter kern wrote: »
    [/B]very different scenario as you dont seem to have the basics what you are looking for . I guess for you you might want to look to get into a club and get a better idea what the sport is about.

Good point. Thanks Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

If it's just a bike plan your looking for have you looked at the trainer road plans? Around 10 euro a month to sign up and they will guide you through base, build and speciality phases and have a few different plans within each to fit how much you can do. I know a few people who have used them and found them good, I'm using one now for full distance and so far it seems to be working.

Advertisement