Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alder Trees

Options
  • 18-02-2018 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have alder trees planted every 3-4m in a young beech hedge (2years planted)

The garden has a large amount of geothermal pipes (refrigerant gas type) at 800mm below ground level.

I have read that alder tree root system can be invasive and I’m concerned if we allow the alder trees to mature it could cause irreversible damage to geothermal pipes. I’ve spent some time googling about alder tree root systems but can’t find definitive answers online.

I’ll remove the alders if I need to. Not sure if they are native alder or Italian alder

Would be grateful for any expert input on:

Native Alder tree root system (invasive/deep/shallow etc)?

Italian Alder tree root system ?

Native beech hedge deep rooted/invasive?

Native beech tree deep rooted/invasive?

Thanks for your input

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I wouldn't worry about the beech hedge, but the Alder trees will probably end up rooting down to the pipes.

The Influence of Soils and Species on Tree Root Depth
    https://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/FCIN078.pdf/$FILE/FCIN078.pdf

Root depth table on page 6 including Alder, suggests up to 2m for mature trees, depends on soil type, although soil type may not help much since the soil will presumably have been disturbed by digging down 800mm to get the pipes in, offering a route for roots.

Also suggestions that any planting will screw up the effectiveness of your geothermal here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057447943

From a gardener's perspective it seems a bit stupid to design a system with pipes along a boundary where you'd naturally plant things, a bit like putting UFH pipes under kitchen cabinets. Wouldn't it be better to have them under the main lawn area?

Anyway, I guess you need to choose between your trees and your pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

@Lumen, thanks for your detailed reply above.

Pipes are not actually at boundary where the alder are planted. Could be 2-3m away.

But given alder potential root depth and spread I think I need to remove the alder which is regrettable.

I assume once cut at base the alder roots (3 years approx) will die?

Thanks for your input

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If they're 2-3m away I'd leave them alone. Your geothermal system is holding your garden to ransom!

It's just as likely that the roots never go near the pipes or go round them or take 30 years to go that deep by which time you or the geothermal heating system will be dead.

Advertisement