Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it too late to spread ma iew in flower borders?

Options
  • 18-02-2018 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Meant to put down rotted manure all winter but time slipped by. Soil is really denuded of nutrients, very little flowers came up last year. What can I do for soil at this stage?

Misspelt title, sorry!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Manure is best incorporated into a bed in Spring, so do it when conditions permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Oh great, I thought was meant to go down start of winter. Will do soon. Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Manure is best incorporated into a bed in Spring, so do it when conditions permit.

Best laid on beds October/November then dug in in spring.

Won’t hurt to do it now.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Best laid on beds October/November then dug in in spring.

Won’t hurt to do it now.

That's what I meant by 'incorporated into'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

That's what I meant by 'incorporated into'.

Yes but should be laid on in autumn as a mulch then dug in In spring, gives superior results to just adding in spring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

monkeynuz wrote:
    Yes but should be laid on in autumn as a mulch then dug in In spring, gives superior results to just adding in spring.

But still better to put down now or will I forego flowers this summer and place manure down next autumn? Don't want to plant anything if soil isn't good enough as they'll just die on me( very few plants came up last year -was a waste of money )

seefin wrote: »
    But still better to put down now or will I forego flowers this summer and place manure down next autumn? Don't want to plant anything if soil isn't good enough as they'll just die on me( very few plants came up last year -was a waste of money )

Dig it in now, the soil will be all the better for it.

Advertisement