Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

144Hz - Am I missing something

Options
  • 18-02-2018 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

So I've just got a 2716DG - nice panel - but I'm not getting this 'blown away' can never go back to non-G-Sync 60Hz ever again vibe. What should I be looking out for. I've checked I'm on 144Hz in Doom and yes the line (tearing) going up the screen in TWW2 is gone but... :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Might be daft but have you upped your refresh rate in the display settings? Also, I imagine you'll need to enable G-Sync on the monitor itself. I only stumbled upon this myself.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you normally play twitch shooters? If not you may be less disposed to seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

ED E wrote: »
    Do you normally play twitch shooters? If not you may be less disposed to seeing it.

Nope don't play them at all - hmmm wondering if I should have bothered now hehe :D

The other thing is
    Visual-response-time-over-age.png

Depending on where you sit on that graph the benefits significantly reduce.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Something wrong if your not noticing it, it really is night and day difference on any genre not just shooters.
    Sometimes your control panel can be over riding your ingame settings, check that out.

• Advertisement

I am noticing the tearing going in Total War Warhammer II. Monitor reports 144Hz and G-Sync enabled. I changed the G-Sync to windowed and full screen.

I suppose I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I game at 144fps on Overwatch most days and don't really notice the difference once it's above 60 and stable when I switch to other games. There's definitely a benefit there but I think it gets overstated due to a combination of placebo/willy waving a lot of the time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Playing quakeworld on 60hz / 144hz is night and day stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's feel as much as look. Especially in fps games. I don't know but to me it's night and day. Try playing something for a few hours at 144Hz, then go back to 60Hz. I find that the most jarring and instantly noticeable. It's definitely not a placebo as I instantly notice if it gets reset somehow.

Maybe your brain/eyes are locked into 60Hz at this stage.

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    It's feel as much as look. Especially in fps games. I don't know but to me it's night and day. Try playing something for a few hours at 144Hz, then go back to 60Hz. I find that the most jarring and instantly noticeable. It's definitely not a placebo as I instantly notice if it gets reset somehow.

Hmmm this could be it. When I sell my 60Hz panel I'll have to set it up for the buyer to test so I'll have a game on it and see if I notice the difference.

Think I'm going to miss the Ultrawide though. Something very immersive about not quite seeing the edges of the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

BloodBath wrote: »

I would agree with this, playing twitch/arena shooters at 144/165hz is a significant difference to standard 60hz.

I recently was using my laptop to play Overwatch back at 60hz and it honestly feels so sluggish in comparison until you readjust.

Some games are more obvious than others. I notice it a lot more in Overwatch than I do in most other games.

Playing a console port last few days, 29fps engine hardcoded rate. *vomits*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

ED E wrote: »
    Playing a console port last few days, 29fps engine hardcoded rate. *vomits*

I usually just accept things for what they are and the fact that consoles are badly CPU limited, but Fallout 4 on console....

I was watching my friend play it on the PS4 and when stuff really kicks off you could almost count the individual frames.

It runs at 30fps locked but drops frequently to as low as what looks like about 15fps. But that is partly Bethesda's fault for having such a horrible engine.

Well been watching a few videos trying to explain the difference, I'll give it a few days, doesn't look like my UW is going to sell in a hurry. Worst comes to worst I know I don't need anything over 60Hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Couldn't ever go back from my 144hz.

I only have one of them in my 2 screensetup, but on the lookout for a second one for my AOC. Even just the way the mouse moves on the second monitor I can notice. But I'm weird like that.

Very noticable for me when something is not 60hz and when I'm on my 144hz

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

TheDoc wrote: »
    Couldn't ever go back from my 144hz.

I only have one of them in my 2 screensetup, but on the lookout for a second one for my AOC. Even just the way the mouse moves on the second monitor I can notice. But I'm weird like that.

Very noticable for me when something is not 60hz and when I'm on my 144hz

Not weird at all, infact the first thing reviewers of fast response monitors do is move the mouse around after switching from 60 - to 144hz to see how it feels, its instantly noticeable for me then too even navigating the desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Personally, I didn't notice it moving the mouse around - that's the first thing I tried though, then moving windows - but I did notice it when scrolling.

Another big one: Video. If you're using frame interpolation software, 144 FPS video is pretty sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Make sure your display as actually set to 144Hz. Remove FPS caps & vsync from games when you can. Some are hardcoded with caps on them. It's pretty noticeable in most games, I find. Try it for a few days then switch back to 60hz. You'll wonder how you ever tolerated it.

Went back to my beloved 34" UW - if anyone is looking for a monitor check the selling PC gear Link :pac:

• Advertisement

And gone onto another person to try the 144hz G-sync hype. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I work on a Dell 34'' UW and game on a 144htz g sync Asus. I tried switching them around and gaming on the Dell was rubbish, so choppy, working on the Asus was crap too small. I found that you only tell the refresh rate once its gone, particularly in Titanfall 2 a game I had hundreds of hours on and was so in tune with the timing and aiming that in 60 htz it was like I was in slow motion and everyone else was moving faster. If you game casually of in non timing or aiming critical games you wont care.

Advertisement