Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meltdown, Spectre and microcode

Options
  • 18-02-2018 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I have a Sony Vaio laptop running dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu Linux.

Sony sold their computer division a few years ago, so I can't get a bios update to update the CPU microcode, to mitigate the Meltdown and Spectre security problems.

When Intel releases the microcode for my CPU it will be installed on my CPU during normal Ubuntu software updates, without any need for a bios update.

Will the microcode work on both Windows and Linux?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nope, Ubuntu/Linux does it at runtime. Windows (and others possibly) doesnt support that so it must be loaded by the BIOS at boot time.

In theory communities like MDL can build a new BIOS image using new MC sources but this is not for amateurs (you'll kill the board) and for some random old Sony thats now very dated (the sale to JIP was ages ago) I doubt anyone will bother.

Advertisement