If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI/ARC issue between Sony TV and Onkyo Receiver

Options
  • 18-02-2018 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,
    wondering if you can help out here.  I bought a Onkyo TX-L50 from you last year and i have it hooked to a Sony 49XE9005 through the HDMI ARC port (HDMI 3).  South of the Onkyo i have a Virgin Media Horizon box and a PS4. The Onkyo passes the video through to the TV and the sound to the 5.1 speaker system.  On the TV I then use the Netflix and Kodi native apps.  On the Onkyo I have the Virgin Media on the CBL/SAT input and the PS4 on the GAME input, and then the ARC is on the TV input.

To access the Virgin Media box or PS4 I then have to press the “HDMI 3” icon on the Sony Android TV menu and then change the Onkyo to CBL/SAT or GAME.

When i turn on the TV and Onkyo, and go straight into Netflix, the sound as you would expect is transferred through the HDMI/ARC to the surround sound speakers.  (the Onkyo defaults t “TV” in this instance)

If i then turn on the Virgin Media box or PS4, press the “HDMI 3” icon and change the Onkyo to the relevant input the sound goes through the surround speakers.

This is where I run into the problem.  Whenever I go back to Netflix (or Kodi) on the TV (Onkyo on “TV” setting) no sound is passed over the HDMI 3/ARC.  The only way to hear the sound is to turn off the Onkyo and use the TV speakers.  The is no way to ever get the Netflix (or Kodi) sound back through the HDMI 3/ARC channel and on to the surround speakers apart from doing a power cycle. It seems that as soon as I press the “HDMI 3” icon on the Sony Android TV menu, it stops ever passing sound over the ARC channel.

The only thing that continuously works is the “beep” when you move from icon to icon on the Android TV menu. Is there anything that you would recommend?  Are you able to test this setup in your shop ?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]wondering if you can help out here.  I bought a Onkyo TX-L50 from you last year and i have it hooked to a Sony 49XE9005 through the HDMI ARC port (HDMI 3).  South of the Onkyo i have a Virgin Media Horizon box and a PS4. The Onkyo passes the video through to the TV and the sound to the 5.1 speaker system.  On the TV I then use the Netflix and Kodi native apps.  On the Onkyo I have the Virgin Media on the CBL/SAT input and the PS4 on the GAME input, and then the ARC is on the TV input[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]To access the Virgin Media box or PS4 I then have to press the “HDMI 3” icon on the Sony Android TV menu and then change the Onkyo to CBL/SAT or GAME.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]
    When i turn on the TV and Onkyo, and go straight into Netflix, the sound as you would expect is transferred through the HDMI/ARC to the surround sound speakers.  (the Onkyo defaults t “TV” in this instance)[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]If i then turn on the Virgin Media box or PS4, press the “HDMI 3” icon and change the Onkyo to the relevant input the sound goes through the surround speakers.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]This is where I run into the problem.  Whenever I go back to Netflix (or Kodi) on the TV (Onkyo on “TV” setting) no sound is passed over the HDMI 3/ARC.  The only way to hear the sound is to turn off the Onkyo and use the TV speakers.  The is no way to ever get the Netflix (or Kodi) sound back through the HDMI 3/ARC channel and on to the surround speakers apart from doing a power cycle.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]It seems that as soon as I press the “HDMI 3” icon on the Sony Android TV menu, it stops ever passing sound over the ARC channel.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]The only thing that continuously works is the “beep” when you move from icon to icon on the Android TV menu.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Is there anything that you would recommend?  Are you able to test this setup in your shop?[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for any advice that you may have.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Daithi[/font]
    Hi Daithi.

Sorry to hear that you are having some issues.

Unfortunately I can not set this up in store to test as we do not have stock of the TX-L50. The TX-L50 is a special order for ourselves.

This is not an issue I have came across before and we have sold lots of the 49XE9005.

I'll see if there is anything I can find out at this end. You could also perhaps drop Sony a call direct incase there is a setting within the Sony's menu.
    Direct number for Sony would be 0044 3304402060
    Onkyo might also be worth a call their tech number is [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](+44) 0208 836 3510.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'll come back over the course of today if I can find anything.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Let me know if you get to speak to either Sony or Onkyo.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Daithi Thorn

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]wondering if you can help out here.  I bought a Onkyo TX-L50 from you last year and i have it hooked to a Sony 49XE9005 through the HDMI ARC port (HDMI 3).  South of the Onkyo i have a Virgin Media Horizon box and a PS4. The Onkyo passes the video through to the TV and the sound to the 5.1 speaker system.  On the TV I then use the Netflix and Kodi native apps.  On the Onkyo I have the Virgin Media on the CBL/SAT input and the PS4 on the GAME input, and then the ARC is on the TV input[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]To access the Virgin Media box or PS4 I then have to press the “HDMI 3” icon on the Sony Android TV menu and then change the Onkyo to CBL/SAT or GAME.[/font]
    When i turn on the TV and Onkyo, and go straight into Netflix, the sound as you would expect is transferred through the HDMI/ARC to the surround sound speakers.  (the Onkyo defaults t “TV” in this instance)[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]If i then turn on the Virgin Media box or PS4, press the “HDMI 3” icon and change the Onkyo to the relevant input the sound goes through the surround speakers.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]This is where I run into the problem.  Whenever I go back to Netflix (or Kodi) on the TV (Onkyo on “TV” setting) no sound is passed over the HDMI 3/ARC.  The only way to hear the sound is to turn off the Onkyo and use the TV speakers.  The is no way to ever get the Netflix (or Kodi) sound back through the HDMI 3/ARC channel and on to the surround speakers apart from doing a power cycle.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]It seems that as soon as I press the “HDMI 3” icon on the Sony Android TV menu, it stops ever passing sound over the ARC channel.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]The only thing that continuously works is the “beep” when you move from icon to icon on the Android TV menu.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Is there anything that you would recommend?  Are you able to test this setup in your shop?[/font]
    Hi Daithi.

Unfortunately I can not set this up in store to test as we do not have stock of the TX-L50. The TX-L50 is a special order for ourselves.

This is not an issue I have came across before and we have sold lots of the 49XE9005.

I'll see if there is anything I can find out at this end. You could also perhaps drop Sony a call direct incase there is a setting within the Sony's menu.
    Onkyo might also be worth a call their tech number is [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](+44) 0208 836 3510.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'll come back over the course of today if I can find anything.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Let me know if you get to speak to either Sony or Onkyo.[/font]
    Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the advice.  I'll try and get through to the support lines, but probably need to be at home first.

Rgds
    Daithi

Hi Daithi.

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the advice.  I'll try and get through to the support lines, but probably need to be at home first.

Rgds
    Daithi
    No worries Daithi.

Let me know what they say and when I get a free minute at this end I'll also do some digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Not sure if anything here will help in the Sony FAQ: http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/146755

I have a Sony connected to a Denon receiver doing similar to what you are. Generally I see issues when the TV has not being powered off at the socket for quite some time. Additionally I am using a Harmony remote to retrigger the correct input selection at the end of the activity selection. And lastly a work around has been to go to the Action Menu (not sure your model has this?) and reselect speakers as audio system when I spot an issue.

Hopefully you get sorted.

Hi Eddiem74,

Thanks for the advice.  I have tried the action menu -> audio system, but this doesn't work either.

I also reset the TV to factory settings last week but the same symptons are still there.

I have just purchased a Harmony - when you say retrigger the correct input selection, do you mean on the TV or the Denon?

I have put a support request into the Sony & Onkyo web page, as i'm generally home after 6, and with young kids to put to bed, it's not until late at night i get to mess around....so i don't really have a chance to call the support phone number...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 darthwilson

Hi, I have a Sony Bravia 2015 model (Android). The Virgin Media box (latest big black one) doesn't support HDMI Arc (90% certain). I have an Onyko and use to use Virgin media but had to manually set the receiver to the right output and the TV to the correct input.

I also have a PS4 and Apple TV connected to the receiver which works BEAUTIFULLY with the Onkyo receiver. It even turns the PS4 on from the TV input menu.

We recently got Sky Q instead and it works really well with the Onkyo, so it was down to the VM TV box.

I hope that sheds some light.

I had a similar issue where the Onkyo receiver wasn't working great with my Sony Bravia 2015 (Android TV). This might be trivial but have you enabled ARC on the Onkyo receiver? It actually defaults to.... OFF! 

Hi darthwilson & Kenny,

Think i have it sorted now.  Was onto Sony and they suggested connecting all devices to the TV directly, and everything works fine.  I'm surprised at this as i connected the Virgin Media Horizon box to the TV directly last week, and i'm nearly 100% sure that sound wasn't passed through the ARC channel.

Anyhow, it seems to be working now, touch wood.

The Onkyo ARC was enabled as after power on Netflix, youtube all worked.  It was only after changing from TV to CBL/SAT or GAME and then back to TV on the Onkyo that the problem arose.

Rgds
    Daithi

Hi darthwilson & Kenny,

Think i have it sorted now.  Was onto Sony and they suggested connecting all devices to the TV directly, and everything works fine.  I'm surprised at this as i connected the Virgin Media Horizon box to the TV directly last week, and i'm nearly 100% sure that sound wasn't passed through the ARC channel.

Anyhow, it seems to be working now, touch wood.

The Onkyo ARC was enabled as after power on Netflix, youtube all worked.  It was only after changing from TV to CBL/SAT or GAME and then back to TV on the Onkyo that the problem arose.

Rgds
    Daithi
    Hey Daithi.

Excellent news that you have got sorted and thanks for letting me know.

Should you have anymore issues please let me know.

Hi Kenny,

don;t know whether to cry or laugh.... so got home last night and it wasn;t working!!!  But a power cycle of the TV & receiver fixed it again - previously a power cycle made it work once and then it stopped working, it seems now that it'll work for a while after the power cycle....so i can live with that.. one power cycle at night as opposed to 5 or 6....just a small bit frustrating.

Rgds
    Daithi

• Advertisement

Hi Kenny,

don;t know whether to cry or laugh.... so got home last night and it wasn;t working!!!  But a power cycle of the TV & receiver fixed it again - previously a power cycle made it work once and then it stopped working, it seems now that it'll work for a while after the power cycle....so i can live with that.. one power cycle at night as opposed to 5 or 6....just a small bit frustrating.

Rgds
    Daithi
    Hi Daithi.

If you want to send the amp back to us we can send it off to Onkyo's repair team to see if there might be an issue with the amp freezing up.
    Or did Onkyo get back to you when you emailed there tech team?

It really is a strange issue and not one I have came across before.

Hi Kenny,

I have mailed the Onkyo team as well, though they haven't responded just yet.  If they haven't got back by tomorrow i'll submit the request again!.

Thanks for the offer of sending it to the Onkyo repair team.  I'm doing up the room in a month or two, so it will be out of commission then while i'm moving speakers and getting some cables run.  If i haven;t resolved the issue and i'm still having problems then, i'll send it back up to you.

Rgds
    Daithi

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi Kenny,

I have mailed the Onkyo team as well, though they haven't responded just yet.  If they haven't got back by tomorrow i'll submit the request again!.

Thanks for the offer of sending it to the Onkyo repair team.  I'm doing up the room in a month or two, so it will be out of commission then while i'm moving speakers and getting some cables run.  If i haven;t resolved the issue and i'm still having problems then, i'll send it back up to you.

Rgds
    Daithi
    No problem, keep me posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dmcgale

Just came across this thread, I have recently purchased onkyo TX-L50 and I have a Sony bravia TV. Exactly the issue that you are describing is exactly what is happening to me. Intermittent sound issues. Start on game...move to cab/sat and then back to game or tv and loss of all sound . Have to fully power down everything and even then it takes a few times for the sound to work. Very frustrating. Does anyone know if a fix was found. Otherwise ill be leaving my receiver back.

Dmcgale wrote: »
    Just came across this thread, I have recently purchased onkyo TX-L50 and I have a Sony bravia TV. Exactly the issue that you are describing is exactly what is happening to me. Intermittent sound issues. Start on game...move to cab/sat and then back to game or tv and loss of all sound . Have to fully power down everything and even then it takes a few times for the sound to work. Very frustrating. Does anyone know if a fix was found.  Otherwise ill be leaving my receiver back.
    I still have the old issue with it but it doesn't happen much.

The bigger issue with this sound system is that if you turn on the Sony Bravia TV, the sound system doesn't come on with it. And I usually have to hit a few buttons to tell the TV to use the sound system (everytime). Now, sometimes when turning on the sound system after turning on the TV, the TV will use the sound system by default.

I know there is better systems out there. My dad has an LG soundbar with an LG TV and when you turn the TV on, the soundbar turns on automatically and is connected.

The only thing I will say though is that the Onkyo is a great system. Lots of features and connectivity. 

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Dmcgale wrote: »
    Just came across this thread, I have recently purchased onkyo TX-L50 and I have a Sony bravia TV. Exactly the issue that you are describing is exactly what is happening to me. Intermittent sound issues. Start on game...move to cab/sat and then back to game or tv and loss of all sound . Have to fully power down everything and even then it takes a few times for the sound to work. Very frustrating. Does anyone know if a fix was found.  Otherwise ill be leaving my receiver back.
    I still have the old issue with it but it doesn't happen much.

The bigger issue with this sound system is that if you turn on the Sony Bravia TV, the sound system doesn't come on with it. And I usually have to hit a few buttons to tell the TV to use the sound system (everytime). Now, sometimes when turning on the sound system after turning on the TV, the TV will use the sound system by default.

I know there is better systems out there. My dad has an LG soundbar with an LG TV and when you turn the TV on, the soundbar turns on automatically and is connected.

The only thing I will say though is that the Onkyo is a great system. Lots of features and connectivity. 
    Thanks for the feedback darthwilson!

@Dmcgale - I'm not too sure if there is a fix/workaround for this specific issue. Did you purchase the Onkyo amp from us? The best bet is probably to give the Onkyo customer support team a quick buzz to see if there are any fixes they can recommend?

Let me know how you get on!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.