Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build-up to dig and capture spring water

Options
  • 18-02-2018 10:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7

Hi Guys. I am hoping someone can help me here. We are currently In the process of a new build. The area we are building is family land and we have hit various spring wells upon digging throughout the years. I would like to capture some of this and use it for drinking water as there is a high iron.

Has anyone every dug and captured a spring. If yes it would be really appreciated if you can share the process

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You can buy a set of “well liners” they are a set of precast concrete pipes. They have s floor and a lid section.

Use land drainage pipes and clean 2” stone to route in the best of the springs, more than one if possible.

The pump house can be built on top of the well and use either a shallow well pump or a submersible pump.

I worked on a similar job 25 years ago and it’s been running fine since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Mono2017

Thanks Very much for the information.
    Would you happen to know of anyone that does this for a living?

We can dig the well etc but wouldn't be familiar with fine details.

Thanks again.
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think any competent groundswork contractor will be able to fit the well liners and divert water to the well.
    You’ll need an electrician to sort out what power is required and a plumber to advise on the pump. I’d have them look at the site before commencing with the work to gain their input.
    It’s not something that is done so much any more because these shallow wells have a tendency to dry out during dry summers. They are also more prone to pollution from runoff. Most people opt for a deep well for their reliability of supply.
    The one I worked on had a truly amazing water spring so supply wasn’t a problem in dry spells.

Are you really, really confident there will be sufficient water to maintain supply if there were a drought.

Advertisement