Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joint mortgage, single name on deeds

• 18-02-2018 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all, I'd appreciate your advice on this.. I have been gifted a house from my mum. There is no gift tax due. To avoid my husband being liable for gift tax, we were advised that the deeds must go into my name only. After 3 years I can transfer the deeds to both our names & avoid gift tax. Is this correct? To get a mortgage we need to apply jointly, but will there be an issue with the property being in my sole name?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

If it's being gifted what is the mortgage for?

3 year thing is correct. Recently did the same for a house site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ggkoy

Kitkitty wrote: »
    Hi all, I'd appreciate your advice on this.. I have been gifted a house from my mum. There is no gift tax due. To avoid my husband being liable for gift tax, we were advised that the deeds must go into my name only. After 3 years I can transfer the deeds to both our names & avoid gift tax. Is this correct? To get a mortgage we need to apply jointly, but will there be an issue with the property being in my sole name?

Hi, did you proceed with a mortgage application? In a similar scenario where my partner will be added to the deeds of her parents home & we will be extending on to the house. Looking to get a joint mortgage to fund this but not sure if it will be an issue as my name won't be tied to the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kitkitty

Hi Ggkoy, we just moved in last week! Yes we got mortgage. Our situation was maybe slightly different. My mum signed house completely over to me, and waived all rights of residence. i.e. if things were to go pear shaped, the bank do not need to make allowances for her right to live here.. they wanted legal clarification on a few things, but the joint mortgage issue didn’t seem to be a problem for them; despite my husband being the main earner and deeds in my name.

Advertisement