Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog transport box

• 18-02-2018 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

Anyone using the transport boxes made by www.dogtransportbox.com?? Or is anyone using similar boxes made in Ireland. Looking for a box to fit a Ford Courier.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Would you not consider making one out of ply? Very easy make, and cost a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Yes I have one for the jeep better than the trailer. Expensive, well you could pay more for a hunting jacket. I find it good for keeping the dogs away from shot game and my kit. Lifts in and out of the crewcab easily. Can be powerwashed and will look like new,pretty hygenic too. I keep meaning to get a cow mat for it for comfort sake.
    I am happy enough with it. A friend has one made out of ply its a tonne weight and unlike mine you cant leave it out in the rain.
    All in all a good piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭brianfrancis45

I have one and am very happy with it. It's easily maintained with just a hose out from time to time, light - so easy to lift in and out of the van , yet strong construction. A bit pricey but in my opinion well worth it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭breakemall

They are expensive but worth every cent, you will not regret it.

I have two of them (a single and a double compartment) and they keep the boot clean, can be hosed out when things get too muddy, are tough and also keep the dogs secure.

DTB are good to deal with and will custom adjust the box if you want something not quite standard (I did this with the single compartment).

I still have an old Sperrin trailer, but the box is so much handier so it does not get much use these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The polypropylene is 10000 times better than making it out of plywood,

I made myself one at work, way easier to wash out and keep clean, the smell of wet dog wont soak into the box like it does with plywood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Something like this maybe ?
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/CAR-BOOT-FOLDING-METAL-PET-CAGE-WITH-SLOPING-SINGLE-TWIN-DESIGN-DOG-PUPPY-GUARD/371526755894?hash=item5680b86636:g:8agAAOSwcUBYTm1w

Big enough for 2 big dogs.

Put a piece of tarp (e.g. a barbeque cover) under it and you are sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Vizzy wrote: »
    Something like this maybe ?
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/CAR-BOOT-FOLDING-METAL-PET-CAGE-WITH-SLOPING-SINGLE-TWIN-DESIGN-DOG-PUPPY-GUARD/371526755894?hash=item5680b86636:g:8agAAOSwcUBYTm1w

Big enough for 2 big dogs.

Put a piece of tarp (e.g. a barbeque cover) under it and you are sorted.

Bring ear plugs, have one and the rattling would drive you mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Have one myself too.

Never noticed any rattling, but I could see how the tray in the bottom of the cage could rattle if there were no dogs in there.
    Solved that with some matting ( the stuff that they use in swimming pool dressing rooms) which has the added advantage of trapping all the muck and hair . Also stops the dogs sliding around.
    Take the tray out every week or a fortnight, quick wash down with the tap. Good as new again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 longshot100

Be careful with them cages ladshttps://www.ebay.ie/itm/CAR-BOOT-FOL...gAAOSwcUBYTm1w I had one years ago and one of my dogs toes got caught between the bars when jumping out nearly did a lot of damage its very easy to happen.
    I have a DT box now for my jeep, there are a great job and can take a lot of abuse plus you can power wash them out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

alan86 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Anyone using the transport boxes made by www.dogtransportbox.com?? Or is anyone using similar boxes made in Ireland. Looking for a box to fit a Ford Courier.

have one of these for the past several years,the best out there,great to deal with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Saw a second hand one on donedeal at the weekend for 350 euro looked in good nick

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

Thanks very much for all the replies lads i wasn't expecting to see so many replies in so little time, good to see some of us still useing boards as i feel a lot of the traffic here has shifted to other social media platforms.

But anyway back to the transport box. I have one made out of checkered plate and its a tonne weight to lift and now wont fit in my new van as its too long. So i think i will just bite the bullet and buy one of these boxes. Would i be correct in saying they are more expensive if i look to personalize it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Not necessarily - I paid the standard rate for a DB9 which I had asked for but DTB contacted me and made a custom fitted box for my truck which would work better than the DB9 for no extra cost - I didn't need the bumper cover as I've a split tail gate so he was happy to exchange that for the key locks instead at no cost. I also had a removable divider added. Couldn't have been happier with the service or the quality of the box.

Springwell wrote: »
    Not necessarily - I paid the standard rate for a DB9 which I had asked for but DTB contacted me and made a custom fitted box for my truck which would work better than the DB9 for no extra cost - I didn't need the bumper cover as I've a split tail gate so he was happy to exchange that for the key locks instead at no cost. I also had a removable divider added. Couldn't have been happier with the service or the quality of the box.

Ya I have been in contact with them during the week I told them the dimensions I had to work with and they have advised me what to proceed with. All I need now is to get the funds together and I will be making my order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I have one and its brilliant, mine was the biggest or one of the bigger ones and was perfect for my caddy van, was the full width of the van and then had the sliding door and plenty of space up front, have an l200 now and its a bit too big so wont fit down between the whee arches so i have a load of wasted space up front so waiting to see if a narrower one pops up on donedeal and i’ll buy it and sell mine so i dont have to be lifting it in and out when i need space in the back, they are a great box though and very light for lifting in and out
    I picked mine up second hand cheap

alan86 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

have one for years top class,if you are getting one make sure there is no divider in it as if you have a big dog it can be cramped but top class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

have one for years top class,if you are getting one make sure there is no divider in it as if you have a big dog it can be cramped but top class

The dividers are removeable now

Springwell wrote: »
    The dividers are removeable now

Good to know when I ordered mine a few. Years ago it came divided, pointer was very big, I phoned them, no issues, Sent a courier collected it made me a new one no charge even for the return courier, Great customer service

Well i decided to bite the bullet and bought one of these. I ordered it Monday of last week and paid for it yesterday at lunch time and it was delivered this morning. I bought the DT1 with bumper cover and got the the lockable doors thrown in for free. Looks savage and i would think i will have this for a long time to come. I found dog transport boxes a pleasure to deal with.

Advertisement