Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Applicant to Journalism

• 18-02-2018 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey everyone

Can anyone advise me of the application process for a mature student (30) with no prior qualifications to study Journalism at either DCU or DIT? Would also love to hear from anyone who's studied at either institution and their experience.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 Shedy

I cant tell you much about journalism only there are other routes to the field such as arts.
    I went to college at a similar age. It has been a fantastic journey and would highly recommend it. I cant say it has been easy but in the whole I will look back on it as a great experience and will have gained a great qualification. Treat it like a job, work hard and you will be fine.
    As regards the application process. You will be judged on you leaving certificate and after as a mature student, effectively you get two attempts. I would try to get some courses in before if you feel you might struggle to get in. Most of the colleges have open days in the second term go and get some advice and you will be able to speak to students also. All dates are contained on the CAO website or careers portal is also good. You will need to apply to the CAO late applications also all information is on the CAO website. Check that you will be judged as a mature student. I'm not sure if it applies to the late applications. If not you will be judged on your leaving cert only. I have worked my way through my degree however there is funding through back to education available for some people. Look into it and see if you are eligible as it is a great asset to mature students. It takes time to settle and this will take pressure of financially. I don't know much about it other than how its benefited people I've met. The grant will be judged on you income last year, there is a checker on the SUSI website if you enter your earnings in it will tell you if you will get a grant.
    My last piece of advice is to make sure the course is for you and the rewards are there at the end. Most training centers have career guidance councilors it might be not harm in asking to see one.
    Best of Luck

Advertisement