Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moylough

Options
  • 18-02-2018 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi folks,

We are considering a move from the UK to the area around Moylough. We're after something rural and the property prices seem within our budget. Whilst we are doing the legwork to have a look around the area I am wondering if there are residents on here for any input into what life is like in the area?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Nate74 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

We are considering a move from the UK to the area around Moylough. We're after something rural and the property prices seem within our budget. Whilst we are doing the legwork to have a look around the area I am wondering if there are residents on here for any input into what life is like in the area?

Thank you in advance.

Is there a specific reason why you are looking at Moylough?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nate74

no specific reason, we are looking at all areas of Ireland to be honest and this is a new area for us. Property values seemed reasonable, we know nothing about the area, hence the post and always open to suggestions for other areas to look at.

I am not from Moylough, but not too far away.

Rural Ireland can be beautiful, wet, and also somewhat isolated. Depending on what part of the UK you are coming from you may find the lack of services and facilities hard to deal with.
    Depending on your budget it might be a good first step to rent in one of the larger towns/villages like Loughrea, Tuam, Athenry or even Monivea (which might not be much bigger than Moylough but would be closer to Galway) to get an idea of the area before moving out that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Decent enough facilities in Mountbellew I would have thought? Bank, a couple of supermarkets, secondary school, bus route to Galway.

flazio wrote: »
    Decent enough facilities in Mountbellew I would have thought? Bank, a couple of supermarkets, secondary school, bus route to Galway.

There are good facilities in a lot of places, but not knowing where the OP is coming from I was suggesting one of the bigger places might be better to start with to get an understanding of life in rural Ireland. Of course, if (s)he is coming from rural UK then they will be used to it and Moylough is probably as good as anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It’s a grand quiet place.not too far from civilization either.into Athenry and you have motorway in any direction.good fishing nearby too

Thanks for all your comments and private messages. We are looking at all areas of Ireland at the moment. It's just that we are holidaying in the Galway area now to get a perspective on another region of the country and whilst looking at Tuam and outlying areas property value seemed exceedingly good. We've also visited the southwest which is amazing and have more investigative trips to do before we lay our hat so to speak. Thanks again all.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

I strongly recommend you add Tuam to your list. Tuam has great bus services as its on the direct north south route. As well as the several times daily bus eireann service, you also have the very frequent independent local service (Burkes) and the weekend independent services from further north which service the colleges in Galway, Limerick, Cork, etc. Tuam is 45 minutes from Knock Airport and an hour from Shannon airport. All national bus services heading north or south stop at both of these airports. You have a connecting motorway to Galway and south to Shannon and Limerick. There's another motorway to Dublin which is only 2 hours away and its airport is just 2hrs 15 mins. There's at least two bus services on the Galway City-Dublin and Airport route (bus eireann and citylink) and the frequency is hourly. Tuam has an excellent swimming pool/leisure/fitness centre located in the town park, which itself is a beautiful place of tranquility with a paved pathway on the perimeter and a decent childrens playground. There are 5 primary schools and 4 secondary schools in the town and two cathedrals for the two main religions. Very active drama club, athletics club, swimming club, gymnastics club, hurling club, football club, soccer club, rugby club, etc cater for children as well as adults. Many excellent local musicians provide music lessons for children and there's also a childrens church choir. There's a popular adults musical society, drama club and choir and there's regular shows in the local theatre. The nearest cinema complex is in Oranmore, about 15 mins by motorway. A Greenway from Athenry to Tuam and onwards through Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim up to Donegal/Derry is in the pipeline and should materialise within a couple of years. There are two 'independent' supermarkets and a Lidl shop, and also Aldi have acquired planning permission to build a store here. A brand new fire station is under construction and the new primary care facility (with x-ray and scan services) is about to officially open, and there's an ambulance base situated next door. The taxi services locally are excellent. Parking is plentiful in the town centre and very cheap too. I could go on and on singing the praises of Tuam but that's enough for now. I hope my post is helpful and if you want more information then feel free to message me. I hope you and your family will be happy wherever you decide to live.

A wealth of information and thank you for taking the time to reply in such detail. I don't think you can beat first hand local knowledge. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Nate74 wrote: »
    A wealth of information and thank you for taking the time to reply in such detail. I don't think you can beat first hand local knowledge. Thanks again.

You're very welcome.
    I forgot to mention there's an excellent public library too and broadband in Tuam is more than sufficient for peoples needs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement